Used 2011 Volvo XC90 Consumer Reviews - 9 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific XC90 model:

Safety YES but poor execution
By Brian Loek

2011 Volvo XC90 3.2 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

My wife and I bought our Volvo XC90 while we were living in the UK but since we were returning to the U.S. within a year we had the vehicle built under U.S. specs. As far as the design of the vehicle when it comes to safety it is 100% safe during the first 36K miles. After that you are rolling the dice. My wife and I have had to have the driver side seatbelt replaced twice which tells me Volvo went cheap on things you can't see. I have never had to have a seatbelt replaced. I have had cars with 190K miles on them that had the original factory seatbelts in them that hadn't been replaced. Next, the AC system went out on my wife with no warning with less than 36K miles on it. Luckily, our vehicle has always been under warranty. Manual lumbar support; are you kidding me???? Even my 97 Ford Explorer had electric lumbar support. Do not buy this vehicle used. New with a warranty is your safest bet. Also, if you plan on keeping this vehicle long term make sure you maintain the warranty and have a maintenance package. You will regret it if you don't. The level of tech in this vehicle for a 2011 make car is weak. Volvo tried to make a huge jump with their new XC-90, which I have driven, and that was a tech blunder as far as the infotainment system goes. Overall, I think Volvo is trying to save money by making subtle changes/upgrades to current model vehicles but they are trying to make big leaps when they re-design their vehicles which introduces too many changes in one package which in my opinion creates too many potential problems. Also, support for Volvo along the Gulf Coast is very weak. There are only two dealerships in my area and they are both 30 more minutes away. Do not buy this vehicle if your nearest dealership is more than an hour away. You will burn up a lot of gas to have it serviced. Don't use third party repair shops or parts. You're just going to be throwing away your money.

Traded-in 2013 XC60 for 2011 XC90
By D. A. Prescott

2011 Volvo XC90 3.2 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I have become a forever-Volvo owner, and through time remain loyal due to the security, driving experience, and knowledge of safely protecting those I love. Recently, after purchasing a 2013 XC60 in 2014, after owning this car for 1 year (and enjoying the advanced electronic features), I happily 'traded-down' for a 2011 XC90 ! Comparatively the XC60's driving experience confirmed the car was driving me, momentum not balanced and did not hug the road in the manner to which I've become accustomed. My 2011 XC90 (2nd in the family, and my 6th Volvo) had much better visibility, truly hugged the road with confidence of an automatic all-wheel drive the way it should - with fierce grip yet a smooth driving experience. I do not believe the XC60 has 'matured' enough in engineering the actual driving experience (rather they concentrated on features) that the XC90 has claimed. It is not a speed-demon by any means, however it accelerates at higher speeds beautifully (turbo), and my driving confidence in any weather or road condition (having driven through Adirondack blizzards with other all-wheel cars crawling or stopping) knowing I and my loved ones are safe and comfortable.

Just right SUV for family
By philo4

2011 Volvo XC90 3.2 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

We had a minivan for a decade, so it's time to change to something different.
Looked for a 7 seats SUV and XC90 was our choice.
I write this review after 6 months of driving.
Its designe is old but still looks good.
The engine is just adequate for 4700lbs vehicle, but not refined.
The gas mileage is bad and its idling is rough.
Volvo needs to improve its engine badly.
The ride is ok for SUV but the seats are very comfy.
I feel very secure with the XC90.
It's not a fancy nor fast SUV but more like driving solid built vehicle.

seats, two extra seats on the back, and secure feeling

engine, gas mileage.

Magic Blue R-Design for the Road
By akbrant

2011 Volvo XC90 3.2 R-Design 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I traded my 2011 XC70 for this 2011 XC90 in March 2011 for a road trip from Alaska to Texas on to California and back to Alaska.
I put 13,000 miles on this baby in 30 days.
I have never had a vehicle cradle me on a long rip like this one.
I drove many 600-800 mile days and had not one ache or pain at the end of the day.
The OEM Perrelli tires sucked, and I put Continental AWD Contacts on and it is luxury personified.
The NAV is clunky, but I got used to it as the days went on.
I have to leave the NAV on or the backup camera would never get used as it takes too long to rise up.
It is sad I gave up newer technology in the XC70, but ergonomically the XC90 is much better for a tall guys.

I do like the infotainment features. I leave my iPod in the glove box and the iPhone connects very nicely, and both work very easily through the steering wheel controls. Great cargo space. Love the tinted rear windows, the XC70 didn't have those. The bold blue watch dial gauges are really sharp. I like the Magic Blue paint as well, it goes different shades of blue depending on the lighting. From dark Navy Blue to Purple Blue. I am 6'4" and leg and head room and ingress/egress is a snap. Split hatch in back is great for shopping.

New dash design with NAV built into it and not pop up. Get the tech up to the XC70 level with smart keys and such. This is the first vehicle with a key into a keyhole in four cars or three years for me. I think the exterior design is very rugged and expected, just don't XC60 this thing into a swoopy angular thing that a guy would never get into.

Beige leatherseats
By leatherseats2

2011 Volvo XC90 3.2 R-Design 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

Reporting XC90 interior leather seats. I am very satisfied with the performance of this vehicle. I am surprised about quality of interior seats. I drive the XC90 every day back/forth to the train station; 10 miles p/day.
Leather seats are beige and middle section of leather seats look extremely worn and veined, wearing business attire. Leather in the middle section of the seats looks smoother compared to surrounding areas of seats and scares easily. This flaw will impact resale
value. Had to replace the frame of the passenger seat once because it cracked with my weight of 145 pounds. Used to own a XC70 for five years and its beige leather seats looked like new.

Rear parking sensors. An absolute must on the design of the vehicle

Change the middle section of the leatherseats to the same leather surrounding the seats or go with the same leather as you did with the XC70s 7 years ago.