Used 2007 Volvo S40 Sedan Consumer Reviews - 45 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Volvo S40 Sedan Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S40 model:

The coolest piece of garbage on the roads today
By Brad

2007 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

We have owned the car for 3 years. It comes from a 1-Owner, well-maintained family. While we do not do our service at the dealer, all of the maintenance is done locally with a well-rounded technician or mechanic. In the 3 years we have owned it, we have poured well over double what we paid for the car ($5000). Motor mount, spark plugs, coil packs, gas cap, headliner, front outlet, headlights, interior door panels, high mounted brake light, and many....many....MANY...more items. This car is super safe, and has incredible A/C and Heat, and the sound system ROCKS. Its gas mileage is nothing impressive, and the amount of effort this thing takes to run at highway speeds, you might need earplugs. If you are looking for a car the keeps you on your toes, best friends with the dealer and autopart stores, and potentially ending your marriage over the argument of buying it, then this car is for you!

Big on value & quality
By Paul Blumstein

2007 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

Had this car for 130k miles since new. Been very reliable with A/C compressor the only thing to break and now consumes oil. The car seems to be made to tighter tolerances than other cars.

Fantastic, but expensive
By Zeke

2007 Volvo S40 Sedan T5 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

As a long time owner with a very high mileage car (200,000 miles), I can attest that this is a very reliable car. Even with how many miles my car has on it, it still tighter and better performing than some new cars. However, this is granted if one pays for the enormous maintenance costs, especially at higher mileage. This car doesn't ever break... it just reaches times when parts naturally wear out and need replaced as per the routine maintenance schedule. But these parts are all very expensive, and all break at once. I cannot complain about the drivetrain, as it has been fantastic. I mean this: I have had no repairs on the engine and transmission the entire time I've owned it. The majority of my extreme maintenance costs have been suspension related. All of the control arms and wheel bearings broke at the same time, as did the shocks and struts. Close to 5 grand in repairs. If you wish to run this car correctly, it takes only synthetic oil, and only premium gas. The nose-bleed expenses aside, this car is a true gem to drive and has never let me down on the road. Always has loads of grip. Has driven through its fair share of blizzards, torrential downpours and sunny days. Is always just as fun and comfortable as the day I bought it. In summary, this car is like a sick pet: it costs you a lot at the vet, but it was money well spent because you love it, and want it to be around for years to come.

Great lil car
By Floyd

2007 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

This is a great car, does almost every thing well, maintence is normal if maintained, repairs can be pricey, I purchase mine new 15 miles, the brakes great replaced rear brakes and rotors at 50,000 pads frontat 45,000. I did the 113,000 service dealer stated in great condition. I've replaced upholstery on the front driver seat, a couple bulbs, if you can live with the 2.4 motor on the street, on the highway it's a fun car and will keep up with almost anything.

Great Car, Expensive to Maintain
By Ben

2007 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I purchased this car with 53,000 miles on it and absolutely loved it. I have done everything with this car from fun corners and "quick" driving to driving through blizzards. This car unfortunately was only held back by the exorbitant maintenance costs and its relatively small size. I am 6' 8" and purchased the car because I was sick of driving big cars but have recently dealt with back pain from the seating position, all my friends find it incredibly comfortable but I am simply to tall for it. The maintenance is an unfortunate story. After having purchased the car in brand new condition (53,000 miles) I have put about 20,000 miles on it in the last year and spent close to $8,000 in repairs. The most painful of which was the dual mass flywheel and clutch which cost $3200 alone to replace from the dealer. The clutch paired with new suspension, new brakes, new front struts, new tires, and a steering wheel lock incident have created the most expensive (car maintenance) year off my life. So alas I must let the poor thing go, but I have to say if you get lucky, or don't mind spending the money on maintenance, the car is excellent fun and will get you through anything, from driving through 6inch deep snow without chains or studs, to the pounding rain of Oregon winters. The car is simply excellent fun.