Used 2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Consumer Reviews - 208 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

Cute, but at a pricy
By sherry

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have to say, I love my Beetle Convertible, but I am not impressed with VW's reliability or dealer service. In less than 19,000 miles my Beetle has COMPLETELY broken down twice, and I had to have it towed both times through roadside assistance. In fact the first one was on my way home from vacation in Florida, and the delay was not a pleasant expereience. So far I've had the entire ignition system replaced, new battery and alternator and most recently had to have the front bumper removed just to fix a broken sensor. (A "quick" 6 business day fix) I think VW is right on target with their design and engineering, but they just don't make it all work. I will not be buying another VW.

The sverall design is great, solid feel to the materials and build. Quiet Interior with top up. Good safety features.

Make all of the overly complex systems actually work.

With the wind in my hair...
By Kristabelle

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Never thought I'd have a VW, much less a convertible, but here I am. This car is so cute, fun and fun to drive. I've had the top down non-stop and have had to figure out the best way to keep my hair fixed and out of my face! Gee, what a problem to have! I'm 30 w/no kids and 2 dogs. Can't wait to buy doggles for the dogs to wear in the back seat...with the wind blowing in their hair...

Easy to put the top down. Roomy interior, at least in the front seat.

Can't believe a 2003 didn't come standard with a CD player. The cup holders stink.

No Problems with This Beetle!
By BlueBug

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle GLX 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

After reading about all the problems on the New Beetle Convertible, I had to review mine. After nearly 20,000 miles it's been flawless except for a turn signal issue that the dealer addressed. Dealer told us to ALWAYS use the top cover or risk having the top torn away at highway speeds.

Blue sky above. Wind in what used to be my hair. Wind blocker actually works. 1.8 Turbo is strong!

More lumbar support in seats. Better top cover. Sun visors are useless.

Worth Babying
By stoontdi

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle GL TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

If everybody had one of these, it wouldn't be as much fun. The TDI can pull a 1500 lb. boat and trailer better than a gas with all that torque and still get over 32 miles to the gallon.

Lots of headroom, even with the sunroof. You can elevate your seat and drive like a busy-body or pump your seat to the bottom, tilt back and cruise cool.

The engine should have been in the back where it belongs ... like a Porsche. That's why the dash board is so deep, and the rear head room is less than an old Beetle.

Even better the second time!
By Matthew

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Turbo S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Had a 2001 dark blue turbo beetle before and loved it so much i upgraded to a red turbo S. I can't imagine driving anything else (getting in other cars just seems so dull)! Not one single problem has occurred- VW has improved tremendously on their reliability.

Everything- the styling outside and inside. the way you look back at your beetle when you park to make sure it will be ok (i know you all do this!). Nothing else on the road like it (originality)

none. but i will be buying a performance chip in the near future for a little extra oomf.