Used 2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Consumer Reviews - 186 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

Keep it up!
By Newton Burch

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS TDi 2dr Hatchback

Follow Volkswagen maintenance instructiions to the letter and have the dealer do it. Do this and the car will run forever.

Breaks down every other month
By Jessica

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 1.8T Turbo 2dr Hatchback

Ive never experienced so many problems with a car before. The engine coils break every 4 months as well as the spark plugs. Ive gotten the battery replaced multiple times in the past 3 years. The interior cloth and leather seats are falling apart so easily. The radiator and water pump had to be replaced. I feel like ive replaced and have fixed everything in this car and yet i still have problems with it. Reading all the other reviews im starting to think maybe i just got a bad one or the owner before me didnt do crap to maintain it!!! its a shame though because it really is a unique and fun looking car to drive.

Lov my Bug
By gank

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS TDi 2dr Hatchback

I needed a commuter car.
I bought my yellow bug used at 100K km.
I now have 380K km on it.
I replaced the clutch about 40K ago, upgraded to a racing clutch without the double throw.

The car has has brakes at the normal interval, had to have have the AC repaired last year after 12 years service.
Everything else works great, I hope to get 500K on her, the only issue I have is the running boards are too easy to rot out... but its a cheap fix.
Im now looking for another TDI for the wife... BTW I drive it like I stole it and average 53-56 MPG
Oh yeah, women seem to like the yellow beast.

Mileage, heated Seats, design,

a 4 door?

Solid, zippy, reliable, 48mpg(70%hwy) -54mpg(95%hwy) stock!
By genegenre

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS TDi 2dr Hatchback

I bought my 2000 Beetle tdi in 10/11 with 110k. It is now 12/12 and after getting a job as a courier recently, I have put about 40k miles on it. Zero break downs. Since I've owned it;
1. had to replace starter
2. AC compressor failed
3. Cruise control failed
4. stock speakers all blown (I listen to jazz & NPR so lil disappointing)
5. original shocks/struts really wearing out...

Not perfect but damn good where it counts. The interior panels and dash are cheap and look awful but the seats are comfy. I sit in it 6hrs a day now & am very pleased with the lumbar support. Eng hums @ 70-80 and through rolling hills of Pittsburgh, I got 48mpg b4 w/ a 24mi trip to work now 50+ nearly all hwy.

Handling. I can lift my foot off the clutch and take off on a 15 degree incline from a stop with no right foot.

Too much head room. I am 6' and have 6" of space above me! A chop top would mean even more mpg! Plastic interior components scratch and crack.

178K and still going strong!
By bali1

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle GL 2dr Hatchback

I love my beetle! I bought it in 2008 with 104K miles on it, and it has been a road warrior! Up to 178K miles and still no problems! Replaced water pump and belts at 120K and just regular oil changes. Awesome, reliable car. The front grille keeps coming off because I keep scraping it on the ground (admittedly I have very poor parking skills) so low clearance is my only problem, but that is also what makes it so zippy!
If you are looking for reliable transportation this is the car for you!