Used 2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Consumer Reviews - 161 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Never again!
By Never Again!

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan New 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

Well, where to start...Lets see I leased my Jetta in 2005 and liked the car so I ended up purchasing (although the sunroof had to be rebuilt and the driver window motor had to be replaced) I thought these things were just a fluke. Literally as soon as I purchased the car the check engine light started coming on every couple months, it actually came on twice in one month once!!! I took the car in every time and they fixed it under warranty. Now my factory warranty is up and it came on once again and I took it to the dealership and they stated that it was a secondary air pump, which is NOT covered under the extended warranty that I purchased. What a shocker!! it will cost over $500 to fix.

Interior is nice, exterior design, lots of good features.

Get rid of the rattling sound with cold start. Needs to be of better quaility altogether. This will be my last VW. Looking to trade in and get something else!

First and LAST VW
By Sara

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLI 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Love the car but mine was a lemon. Features are great, love the German design. Never own one without at bumper to bumper warranty

So fun to drive, quick. Huge trunk

Make it reliable. VW doesn't stand behind its cars. Multiple parts (turbo, 4 entire electrical units replaced over 3 years, same part all 4 times)replace during warranty and they just continued after the warranty ended and VW said "sorry" but your problem now. Also rims dented easily, replaced 5

Electrical Problems
By Carolyn

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan New 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

This is my first Jetta and I was so excited with the new body style and the 2.5. It's a great car for driving and it handles excellent on the highway and fuel mileage is 24. in the city. But then electrical problems began with Check engine, coolant, temp gauge, radiator fan wiring harness all replaced within the first 6 months. Now again, electrical problems, drivers door power window wiring harness replaced then the air bag wiring harness will be replaced next week. I'm thinking FORD right about now. I loved my VW but the problems are not worth the name of Jetta.

Excellent handling car, leather seats & heated, moon roof.

Give us a better warranty on the electrical/mechanical problems that VK is having with their cars.

Cheap plastic knobs are pealing
By susan

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Love the heated seats. Thought I would get better gas mileage. Plastic covers over knobs peeling off. Wipers come on without turning them on. Needed new timing belt, this was covered , thank god, very expensive repair. In cold weather, loud rattling noice from muffler area, was checked out, can't fix. Design problem. Right now, trying to decide whether to buy or walk away from lease.

Spunky, fair gas mileage, big trunk.

Wheel covers are cheap. Better covering for knobs, not cheap plastic that melts away.

What now
By crr

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan New 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

This is a comfortable, efficient car. I have had no problems at all. It drives great, is comfortable and sporty. I have heated leather seats a sunroof and a great sound system. I also get about 32 mpg. My only concern is finding a 4 wheel drive car that will live up to the Jetta.

heated leather seats