Used 2005 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel Consumer Reviews - 70 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

From Gas to Diesel
By dokdiesel

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel New TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Never owned a diesel or VW before. I needed a high mpg car for a longer commute. I was leaning towards a hybrid, but I test drove it and I was impressed. Just turned 1,100 miles on the car. It's been a great commuter car so far. The car handles well and latest safety test rating are and added bonus.

Outstanding fuel economy (over 42 mpg), lots of trunk space, nice wood trim, lots of torque when needed, good sound system, and sweet updated exterior styling.

Door speakers rattle sometimes from deep bass notes (looking for the VW dealer fix), have factory tinted windows standard, make the satellite radio a single option (not part of a package), and improve the rear seating A/C flow.

We just love it. Traded in the old S500.
By 10thgroup

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel New TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

We get 49.5 mpg in our Volkswagen Jetta TDI Sedan. We can go from CT ro FL on 2 tanks og gas! Going from a Mercedes-Benz S500 to the Jetta TDI is an extreme jump, but that is what my wife wanted and she is completely satisfyed.

The great gas mileage, stereo, and night time light show.

Easier to clean hubcaps.

minor changes
By peter

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Great car, only issues, car is not level, higher in rear. Driver seat feels like you are tilted forward (falling forward), not sitting level. Also front windshield is smaller than previous Jetta's and window pillars are obstructing driver's view, saftey issues. Car has great mileage.

I love the torque and gas milage.

Level chassis or tilt driver's seat back and increase front windshield. Maybe use old chassis, which sat level and stretch body to allow room for back seat passengers and enlarged trunk.

I love this car!
By Elizabeth

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel New TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I love driving this car. It handles well, gets great gas mileage, and is incredibly comfortable. Some say the visibility is limited, but it doesn't bother me a bit. But you should test drive one to make sure you like it. I have had a blast with it so far though!

Everything! All the dash information, from miles until you are empty, average miles per gallon, temp, compass... And the 6-disk CD changer was a nice touch.

Some kind of seat coolers! In the summer those leather seats get hot! Other than that leave it alone, its fantastic!

Love my Jetta TDI
By AUJettaTDI

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel New TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

Car likes to drive the interstates, and I love driving it. Runs easily at 85 and still wants to go faster. Very perky car too. Handles very well.

dual climate control, sporty shifting of gears. High speed indicator that I set off often.

You can only buy oil at a dealer. At $8 per quart, it's very expensive to do an oil change.