Used 2005 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Reviews - 239 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Volkswagen Jetta

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Nothing but frustration
By Jessica

2005 Volkswagen Jetta New 2.5 PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

This vehicle is enjoyable to drive and not bad on the design. However, as far as quality, I have had nothing but problems since I drove it off the lot. Between the recalls and the other problems I've had with it, it is in the shop more than on my driveway. The list of problems is extensive ranging from the latch on the trunk to the wiring and the brakes. I would not recommend purchasing this vehicle.

Handling, fun to drive. I like some of the features that come standard with it.

Overall quality of the build of the vehicle and the parts.

Poor Quality/Bad Deal
By Scott

2005 Volkswagen Jetta New 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

This could be a great car if it did not require some much time in the repair shop. This time it broke down, because a tumbler in the ignition switch failed. Therefore requiring a seven to ten day stay in the repair shop. They advised me that the part would have to come from Germany. Before purchasing any of the VW products sit in the service department and listen to the customer! Please! I implore you!

Excellent gas mileage and sporty drive! However, I have a great relationship with the service department! Always in the repair shop and the repairs are costly!

Better craftsmanship and engineering. Too many small failing components i.e airbag harness wiring, trunk latch, taillight failures, and peeling accessory control covers, failing radiator fan.Quality of parts must improve!

Very disappointed
By Elise

2005 Volkswagen Jetta New 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

My 2005 Jetta has 87000 miles, is serviced regularly, but now I have to get a new car. The timing chain, gears, spark plugs, and coil pack supposedly all went out last week and to fix it would be $3700 according to the dealership. While I have loved the design and the drive, it just isn't worth it. The worst part is they only offered me $1500 for a trade in. Why would I want another VW if that is all they think it is worth? I'll be getting a Toyota this weekend.

Heated seats, can switch to manual driving, fun to drive

Need more people that can fix VWs other than the dealership. They overcharge. $67 for an oil change!?!

GLI
By summersbo

2005 Volkswagen Jetta GLI 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

My 2005 VW GLI was an absolute blast to drive, when it drove. The clutch and flywheel exploded(yes exploded) at 30,000 miles leaving me stranded. A clutch and flywheel should last longer then that, 100k maybe. I ended up trading it in on a Toyota. VW are engineered with driving performance in mind but are poorly built. If your willing to deal with the expensive upkeep then this is an excellent car. But if you want reliability go with something from japan. The reliability track record of VW will prevent me from buying another.

Interior fit and finish. Excellent handling. Good acceleration. Just felt like a drivers car.

VW build a car that is reliable.

Fun, but Unreliable
By Dan

2005 Volkswagen Jetta New 2.5 PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Purchased this car as a certified used vehicle from a VW dealer a little over a year ago. Fun to drive, mileage is excellent. However, I've spent way too much time in the dealer's service waiting room. Broken trunk latch, peeling radio controls, two bad cooling fans, bad rear brake calipers, smearing and chattering windshield wipers. In a few days I'm having the windshield replaced because it is so scratched and full of tiny pitting that it is dangerous to drive at night. Dealership claims the windshield is due to "external factors", but based on the uniformity of the pitting I'm sure it is a materials defect. I've wasted too much time getting this car fixed!

Refined interior, sporty drive, gas mileage.

Build quality. VW is cutting corners where it can't be seen to create the appearance of a fine automobile, but they don't hold together for very long. It seems the same things fail consistently on these cars--it would be nice if VW fixed those things on certified cars before reselling.