Used 2005 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel Consumer Reviews - 70 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Great Car, can't beat TDI-
By Geoff

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel New TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Nothing but good things to say about this one. I have had four other VWs, and I enjoy this the most in terms of reliability and looks. NO major problems after 150k miles, TDI still feels like new, fuel filter does need to be changed every 20k, otherwise will feel loss of power. No problems with knobs, wiring, other than rear latch can be difficult to use in really cold. I guess the worst thing was engine sway mount did break, causing engine to torque more under load. Have hit 65MPG on highway-only driving doing 60mph!

fuel economy, car radio

Seats can be a little firm after long driving. Timing chain instead of belt.

Never go without a warranty
By gunz20

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel New TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Our first import car. TDI is great for fuel economy. Problems; we hit 20000 miles & had to replace the fuel filter. Could have been bad diesel fuel, but paid because its suggested to be replaced every 20000 miles. Vehicle now has 64000, no problems since. Trunk lid latch doesn't work in cold weather. Got it replaced under warranty, now it doesn't work again and no warranty to help. Most recent, driver side door electrical harness went out, leaving me with no controls, no way lock car or open up the fuel tank door. VW wants $500 to repair. Dealer said passenger door is going out, another $500. Also, we have replaced several, blown exterior light bulbs, some multiple times.

Gas mileage meets and exceeds what I was expecting.

Better service from VW and to back their product up would be nice. I understand user ware & tear on products, but bad wire harnesses sound like a faulty designed product. Not to mention the $500 to replace a wire harness.

Maintenance expensive, had some trouble
By HighMileage

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I put over 230000 km in 4 years on my Jetta. It did stay remarkably tight. Parts I had to replace include 5 wheel bearings, a dozen headlight bulbs, a new turbo for $2400., a fuel pump for $550., a turbo hose, various front end parts, e-brake cables etc. The fuel mileage is good and you think you are getting ahead but you pay it all back for the $100 oil changes and $300 every 32000km for fuel filters. My other complaint is the electrical systems, had intermittent trouble with headlights and my door lock system. For a while there I thought I owned HERBIE. Lastly, everybody loves the heated seats because a TDI takes 30 minutes of driving to actually heat up. HELLO TOYOTA HERE I COME.

Heated seats, power roof.

Should have a block heater, maintenance is too high, expensive for a sub compact car, forever to heat up! They eat light bulbs, count how many you meet on the road with a light out. It is rather amusing!!!!!!!!!!

TDI Horror
By John

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

My TDI was great until I hit 60000 miles then a check engine light came on. Replaced sensors, cooling kit, thermostat and the intake flap motor 3 times. Check engine light still on and VW won't take any responsibility for faulty design on flap motors. I've spent over $2,000 already. Owners of TDIs beware!!!! Sell your car before it goes out of warranty because VW will not stand behind thier product.

Fun to drive and great mileage when no check engine lights are on.

Fix faulty intake flap motors and stand behind products.

So far so good
By who needs a hybrid?

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel New TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Purchased new in 9/05, paid full sticker, no dealer shopped would budge on price so it came down to color/options. First diesel car ever owned and would definitely buy another one. Car seems as quiet/powerful as the 1.8 gas, mileage averages over 40mpg, 80% highway driving with the automatic. Surprising reliability as an '86 GLI I owned fell apart around 75K miles of hard driving. Gripes, I once owned a '04 Passat and was much more comfortable behind the wheel, I'm only 6' tall, the center console protrudes too much into my right leg. Also, the cruise control controls belong on the steering wheel, like the Passat. Otherwise no other major complaints other than I wish diesel was cheaper!

Engine, build quality, reliability, so far, big trunk, around 500 miles between fill ups!

All models with cruise control should have controls on steering wheel.