Used 2016 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 22 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2016 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Golf model:

Quick and Comfortable
By Jim Johnson

2016 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback TSI SE 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

The 2016 Golf is small, agile, quick, and comfortable, except for one small thing (four small things, actually): the doors. After having driven 2-door GTIs for thirty-one years, shoe-horning myself into the Golf is a challenge. Before buying the Golf, I paid CarMax $800 to ship a two-door 2016 GTI across country since I'd been happy with GTIs. But the ride on the 18-inch wheels was a lot harsher than on the 17-inch wheels of my previous GTI, so I bought the Golf instead.

Great car
By TC

2016 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback TSI S 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I've owned my Golf for almost 2 years, and have 45,000 miles on it. It's been the best car I've ever owned - even better than my Hondas and definitely better than my old Mazda3 and Ford Focus. Exceptional reliability so far, very fun to drive, gets amazing gas mileage, and can hold a crazy amount of cargo (2 bikes, a dog, 2 people, and luggage for a weekend trip).

Fun to drive, great value
By Paul Zelizer

2016 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback TSI S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I have the Golf wagon with 6 speed automatic. It's fun to drive and with the wagon it can haul a LOT. Been completely reliable thus far - 15,000 miles. And I got it for just over $20K with 0% financing. Couldn't be happier.

Amazing Little Car
By R Matthew

2016 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback TSI SE 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I've had a love/hate relationship with VW, having owned over 10 since the early 90's. I purchased a 2016 TSI SE in late November 2015 and 15 months later I've only put a hair over 7,000 miles on it. Living in Salt Lake City and finally getting a heavy snow year, the Golf rallied in deep snow but at low and high speeds. Even pulling into an unplowed parking lot with 9" of snow, the car never felt like it was going to get stuck. For 170hp, the car is quite quick with a little turbo lag. But quick accelerating at 90mph to pass interstate traffic is never a problem. At first I didn't notice much of a change in performance between Drive and 'Sport' mode, other than a huge decline in fuel economy. Now it seems like the car is broken in and I've noticed Sport mode working around town - although not nearly as noticeable as my BMW 3 Series or my old Audi A3 Sportback. The car provides a super comfortable ride. At 6'4" tall, I have plenty of head and leg room. My only complaint in the comfort department is that I wish the lumbar support had a bit more adjustability. The suspension is great, even at high speed cornering, and always feels planted. A/C is decent, but VW isn't known for it's A/C. However the seat heaters and heating overall is amazing. The small engine gets up to temperature quick so you're feeling the effects kick in, even on short commutes. Shifting... That would be the Achilles heel of this car. I find the lag in upshift between 2nd and 3rd to be frustrating at times, but an easy solution is to hit the + paddle on the steering wheel and manually shift up when the RPM's are high. I have to say I'm glad to have pulled the trigger on the 2016 SE model before the 2017's hit the market with a reduced number of choices. Although the same car, my neighobor's 2017 Golf Wolfsburg Edition is essentially the same car - less the super nice wheels that come stock on the 2016 SE's.

Mixed bag, love the car, but hate repair record
By frustrated vw owner

2016 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback TSI SE 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I bought a TSI SE with the lighting and safety packages late in 2016. I really debated just getting the wolfsburg but really liked the lighting package and the fender. I regret that decision daily.
Been in the shop a total of 14 days from 200 miles to 2700 so far. EPC light on twice, car went into limp mode. Sunroof leaked from day ONE. Evidently their plastic sunroof channels in GTIs and Golfs crack over time. Google it, or check out the link below for the technical bulletin.

With all the issues I have had I honestly am almost about done with the car, but can't trade it in cause the value sucks. 28k sticker, paid just over 23k, now only worth 16k trade, great cars lol.

I will say that the dealers worked with me to make things right and VW corporate did follow up with me all the time. I asked for a new car or give me my money back, they declined both. I then asked for something less and they accepted. So while this has become a love/hate relationship at least VW did something. I dealt with Honda and their VCM vibrations on their 6 cyl and they do nothing for you.

So my verdict is still out, fun little car to drive, love the seats, love the radio and straight forward manual hvac controls. Their LKAS sucks though, FYI, Honda's implementation of that system is much better. We'll see how this progresses, but short of declaring a lemon law claim don't think I can afford to trade it in at that sort of loss.

So my message is buyer beware here for VW, fun cars but get ready for a few possible trips to the dealer.