Used 2000 Toyota Tacoma Consumer Reviews - 91 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2000 Toyota Tacoma

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Great truck, but obviously a truck
By Carnut

2000 Toyota Tacoma SR5 V6 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Had the truck for a year, and no major problems to report. Drives through 2ft of snow like it's nothing, tows like there's nothing there. I was disappointed by the gas mileage - around 15 MPG around town, without a load. Ride is terrible with the TRD package, but it's in line with my expectations for a truck. It also has a very clunky manual transmission. Has had numerous annoying interior rattles, which I did not expect on a Toyota. It also feels quite tippy and has a lot of "bump steer" even on slow corners. All annoyances aside, it's a great truck. I like the simple, uncluttered styling, inside and out. It is very "trucky," but it feels solid and should last forever.

Torquey V6; simple styling; off-road/bad weather capability; V6 available with 5spd; not too big like the '05 Tacoma

Fix the endless assortment of squeaks, creaks, and rattles!! More comfortable seats. Less-clunky shifter. Rear disc brakes.

Can't beat a Toyota
By Jazbone

2000 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

This is a follow up to my original posting after I purchased my Tacoma 4WD. I haven't had any major problems with this truck. The only problem was my aux trans shifter popped out of position when taking out of 4WD at 45 mph. It was an easy fix as the retainer clip had loosened out of its clip holder. It was put back in and I haven't had any problems with it since. Gas mileage has been as high as 24.7 and I average 19.5-21 mpg traveling the I-5 corridor through the Cascade mt range of Northern California. The comfort is still a problem over aggressive expansion joints or the rutty freeways of the entire Bay Area region! This truck has been great to me and I will trade up for a new one soon!!

Gas mileage for a 4WD, Mt hiway handling, looks, reliability.

Would be nice to have softer springs and shocks but, it's a 4wd on a short wheel base, can't have everything. Also if the cab was a bit roomier w/o having to upgrade to a super-cab.

Rough Rider
By lcartwright

2000 Toyota Tacoma SR5 2dr Extended Cab SB

I found that my Truck can take a lot of rough riding, but it tends to drive rocky on paved roads too. Its only fault is lack of balance, which can be expected from a high profile vehichle. Otherwise, I love it!

I love the ECT, Overdrive, and the under the seat compartments in the back of the cab. They are very handy for jumper cables etc.

Only improved balance.

Civil Engineer
By c. Hodges

2000 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 2dr Extended Cab SB

Truck is five years old and is in perfect condition, no dents or scratches. I use synthetic oil throughout ... with K&N filters. I have never had one thing go wrong with my Toyota Prerunner.

I have the V/6, 3400cc motor and average around 23 MPG. The best mileage that I ever got was 26.2 MPG.

N/A

Couldn't be much better
By Aaaaaron090

2000 Toyota Tacoma SR5 V6 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

This is an excellent truck for daily driving, and has plenty more to offer for the adventuresome folks in the crowd. I use my truck to travel across the nation, and around town. I've only had to keep up with routine checkups, but no other notable problems... Highly Satisfied!

Very impressive 4x4 capabilities. Very responsive steering and handling for an offroad capable truck...

The V6 seems a little underpowered when in compromising mud or sand, and the horn screams like a European bird, it needs to match the truck...