Used 2004 Toyota Matrix Consumer Reviews - 276 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Toyota Matrix

View reviews for a specific Matrix model:

76000 miles and going strong!
By Cece

2004 Toyota Matrix Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car in 2003 (2004 model) and now have 76000 miles on it! Not a single problem! I have a manuel transmission and it is so much fun to drive. It's young and stylish and I wouldn't trade it for any other car :)

Body style, cargo room, fuel efficiency

Perfect for needs and budget
By cali_isaac

2004 Toyota Matrix XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This is the perfect car for us. Great mileage (25-27 city, 32-37 hwy). This looks small on the outside but is laid out great very efficient and feels very roomy. This car hold TONS of stuff (4 adults, 3 day camping gear (firewood included), surfboards on top and bikes on the back) and still got 34+ mpg on the trip! The 110v plug is awesome, didn't need to buy a car charger for cell phone or iPod. The most car for the money, imo. Would buy again in a heartbeat. Owned for over 2 years now still runs like new.

Sunroof, roomy, 110v outlet, CD/tape player, sound, storage. Controls and instrumentation panel are laid out wonderfuly.

Fullsized spare tire, front ground effects are a little low to the ground (will scrape on ground in/out of steep driveways). Manual isn't as smooth as I thought it should be, not bad, but not the best. Would also like radio controls on steering wheel.

My Matrix
By Toby A Turner

2004 Toyota Matrix AWD 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

This is the smallest car I have owned and it is great! Gas mileage, fit into the garage, parking spaces, maneuverability and comfort, are all advantages I have not experienced with larger autos. The color is solar yellow and easy to spot on a parking lot! There is plenty of room for my friends as passengers and with the adjustable bucket seat, they can be comfortable too.

Size is just right, overall. Lots of room for carrying all my dog and I need. Dependable, comfortable, easy to drive, and color, solar yellow, is perfect for the audacious little car.

Less wind noise, more tint in glass (I had mine tinted at the dealership even after ordering max tint) and better cargo cover would be my suggestions.

Great Small Wagon
By George

2004 Toyota Matrix XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I just turn in my leased Matrix, and it has been a great small car for me at the time when I lease it. It has a lot of room when the back seat and the front Pass. seat are all folded down to help me move. Great little city car. It was avg. for gas 33MPG traveling to and from work. Only one thing happened, the front right shock was bad when the car was first new and that was quickly replaced for free. No other trouble with the car. I just follow the book when to do all the services.

The Great 33MPG! With an Automatic Trans! All the fold down seats. Easy on the wallet to drive!

A bit more power in the engine. But with more power, less MPG. It is a give and take.

I'm going to drive this into the ground
By Brian Hoeft

2004 Toyota Matrix XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I would still purchase this car. The only complaint that I have ever heard of for this car is the road and engine noise. I only heard that comment about a year after I purchased it and didn't honestly notice it until then although now I do. A+ for breaking ability. B for acceleration. A+ for forard view. C for rear viewing ability.