Skip to main content
$40,220

Compare dealer price quotes
Select your trim:
12345...14

We have a limited number of reviews for the 2023 Highlander Hybrid, so we've included reviews for other years of the Highlander Hybrid since its last redesign.

A Real Dream Boat

Sarah Audrey, 03/21/2021
2021 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Platinum 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

You should not make your first impression of the mpgs of this vehicle in the dead of winter. Hybrids are known to struggle with mpgs below freezing. I got my Highlander Hybrid in December, and have been getting around 28mpg on the coldest days, but once the outside temperatures reach 45 and up, I'm getting well over the estimated 35mpg, often 38mpg with combined suburban and highway driving. Besides, no conventional engine 7 or 8 seater touches this vehicle's winter mpg, even. My only complaint is there is a bit of a whistling noise at high speeds, maybe from the driver's side mirror, or the roof rails. I like that the rear ac/heat vents are placed above the seats, this is an ideal position for passengers who are still in rear-facing carseats. You could pay just as much or more on the competition Japanese rival vehicles, and will be putting much more gas into them even in winter, and making more maintenance trips without the hybrid engine due to stress on components like brake parts, etc. I cannot stress enough what a great vehicle this is. I've owned Swedish, German, Korean, and American vehicles but I keep coming back to Toyota. The 2021 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Platinum AWD is the best car I've ever owned.

5 out of 5 stars

Only had for a few days, but WOW! Vs. Venza.

Luckyme, 05/09/2021
updated 11/11/2022

I made a rash decision and purchased a 2021 Venza Limited, fully loaded. They, as the Highlander are in high demand, and dealers did not have either Hybrids to test drive. I chose the Venza based on a sleeker look in photos, on line review, etc. But, after just 3000 miles on the Venza, I knew I made a mistake. The Venza was too small, rides a bit stiff and road noise was irritating from a Luxury-like vehicle. May be the tires, but the insulation from road noise is just not there. Not at all feeling like a $42K vehicle. I’ve owned numerous Toyota Hybrids, and the Venza felt more like a Prius with lipstick and high heals to dress it up. Nothing wrong with the Prius, it has a purpose. This brings me to the Highlander. I traded the new Venza (took my hit), for the Highlander Platinum, and I wish I’d have gone with the Highlander first. I did not look at it seriously due to the family hauler aura, style was not my favorite, and 3 rows of seating. We are semi-retired and I did not think I needed the space, but I did. It’s a solid vehicle, feels much more substantial and drives much smoother than the Venza. Quiet for a Hybrid (Not quite as refined as my wife’s Lexus ES300 Hybrid) and has plenty of power. The first drive from the dealer, about 120 miles of highway at 70-78 mph resulted in 32 MPG. I’m OK with that. It looks to be maybe 35 mpg in mixed driving (Venza was about 39) so I’m happy with that. So much more space, infotainment and technology is a step up with some knobs and buttons, as I don’t like 100% touch screens. Interior fit and finish is excellent (Kudo’s to our friends building these in Indiana, USA!). Toyota Hybrids are some of the most dependable cars on the road, and I believe we have a winner. Update 11/22: 30K miles and not a single issue. Nothing needed but the 10K oil service. Well made vehicle.

2021 highlander XLE hybrid AWD

mrrossr, 05/22/2021
updated 05/25/2022
2021 Toyota Highlander Hybrid XLE 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

After reading almost all of the reviews for the 2021 Highlander hybrids I am wondering if I am driving the same 2021 Toyota highlander hybrid they are rating. I purchased my Highlander hybrid 3-15-21 and have 1325 miles as of 5/22/21 mostly city driving but using several of the local freeway driving at 65-70 mph. I have been averaging 44.2 mpg using ECO mode around the city and freeways I have nothing but but great things to say about my Highlander except the engine is a bit noisy when you hit the gas but there are trade off's in any situation if you want to save gas. It appears I must be lucky because I have not had any of the issues several of the other drivers are having. Very Happy Highlander hybrid owner.

5 out of 5 stars

2021 Highlander Hybrid surprises in good ways!

R, 02/07/2021

First, all the people complaining about gas mileage, cars get worst gas mileage in the winter. Also, your terrain make a huge difference in avg gas mileage with a hybrid. I live in AL and have been averaging 33+ mpg across the board. Second, it’s a hybrid…it’s going to act different from a normal ICE vehicle. Finally, yes there are some minor flaws. But I’ll take them with the Toyota reliability and retention of value. For the money, you aren’t going to find a better combination for comfort, drivability, value, and style. I looked at every car from a Pilot to Volvo XC90. And we ended up with the highlander hybrid. Couldn’t be happier.

Simply Amazing!!!

Sully Lang, 04/18/2022
updated 10/21/2022
2022 Toyota Highlander Hybrid XLE 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Purchased this 2022 Highlander after my Avalanche was totaled from an incident on icy roads. I really wanted better gas mileage, and used vehicles prices were stupid high because of the current economic circus. We've taken the truck on two extended road trips (300 miles, and 1000 miles round trip). During both road trips the truck averaged 34 MPG or better. On the 300 mile trip I was driving through ice and snow from Michigan to Indiana in February. Any other vehicle and mileage would have suffered greatly, but not the Highlander Hybrid. It performed flawlessly. It has been very comfortable on both short and long trips, and all the accessories seem work perfectly. The Softex (vegan leather) seats are really nice as well. This truck was the perfect replacement for the Avalanche except for only having a 3500lb tow rating. Since I don't have anything heavy to tow, it's fine for now. I am always able to achieve about 34 or 35 mpg when I drive, but my lead foot wife can't seem to manage better then 32 or 33 (LOL). I see a lot of posts about noise in the highlander, and that just isn't the case with mine. Smooth and quiet most of the time. The exception is when accelerating strongly. It roars a bit loudly, like a sports car should, but not and SUV. Once up to speed in cruise control, it's quiet. I'm not a big fan of the Lane centering program. Mostly because it veers a bit when the painted lines disappear at off ramps and such. Sometimes it seems to swing left and right before finding itself. 95% of the time it works just fine. Overall this is the finest vehicle I've ever owned, and I feel lucky to have been able to buy it on short notice after my other vehicle was totaled. Most dealerships had almost no inventory. Vehicles on their web pages were mostly in transit. Update 21 Oct 2022: Vehicle is just over 10k miles and still runs like the day we brought it home. This is a great vehicle that gets amazing fuel economy for a 4500lb 8 passenger SUV.

12345...14