Used 2018 Tesla Model S Sedan Consumer Reviews

List Price Range

Used Model S for Sale
Select your model:

Pros
Cons

Love it and hate it!

Chris, 03/18/2019
75D 4dr Sedan AWD (electric DD)

Tesla is a great car with industry changing features. The technology is great but it is definitely not a full self driving car but a supercharged cruise control. Still much better than most any car out there. Having and electric car with no gas fill is great but don't be fooled by the advertised range. You will not get close to it unless you keep it under 35 mph and in 70 degree weather. Sales process was horrible for me. I was expecting a new car with all the advertised features but received an older version with a lot of features missing including satellite radio, heating steering wheel, etc. Tesla gave me some free perks to try to make up for it but when you pay this much for a car you expect to get what was advertised. Car also came with a defective wind shield. After replacing it and spending about 30 days in service over the last 5 months I'm still having rattling noises. Car also makes a grumbling noise when you floor the accelerator. Tesla says this is normal and there is no fix for it. One of the top features of this car is the acceleration. Too bad it sounds like it's going to fall apart when you floor it. Service is horrible compared to Audi. You make an appointment on-line (no one to talk to), when you bring in your car it sits for 3 days before any one works on it, when you call the service department no one answers your call, car comes back dirty and seems no one test drives the car after service has been performed.

The New World of Tesla

JPB, 09/25/2018
100D 4dr Sedan AWD (electric DD)

What you have to get used to is that you are driving a relatively simple mechanical device with very complex software. This is the future. Software is what will make a car unique, adaptable and eventually affordable. That Tesla can upgrade my software regularly means that model year of the car no longer has the same relevance it has for the legacy companies. Granted new battery technology might emerge but otherwise there is not much mechanical innovation on the Tesla horizon. We all wait for the 9.0 OS not a new engine or braking system or all the many gadgets that we used to get in our BMWs - half of which we never used. Once you understand your car (and your car understands you), it is like a relationship with you computer only it takes you places. What is particularly cool is that for this particular moment in time the realization that you are in the most technologically advanced automobile in the world. I realize that this will inevitably change but for this moment that is the truth - not the most expensive automobile but the most advanced. We have a S 100D and are now considering a 3 to replace our BMW 2 series.

Horrible service and customer support

Dr. RP, 05/15/2019
75D 4dr Sedan AWD (electric DD)

I have had an issue with the car making loud clunking noise and the top sunroof trim coming off. I scheduled a services. Tesla cancelled the service and texted that they will send a mobile service. It has been over 2 weeks and no on knows when they will provide the service. This is almost the case every time, i have contacted Tesla for service. I am so disappointed..Where is Mr. Musk with all his promises for product and process excellence??????

Truly Special

Stephen, 04/08/2018
75D 4dr Sedan AWD (electric DD)

The 75D Model S is more than a car — it’s a movement and Tesla found a way for us all to become part of the automotive transformation with zero sacrifices. There is something for everyone in this car. It’s fast, clean, classy, high tech, and it drives itself. I have not owned my car long enough to speak to reliability but so far so good. Customer service (Springfield NJ) has been excellent. The Model S is pricey (even with incentives applied) but never buyer’s remorse. In fact, every time I drive this car I am amazed by how much technology is at my fingertips. Autopilot is by far my favorite feature. The ability of the car to park itself into the garage is a major convenience. My garage is tight. Seeing the car perfectly position itself between walls and columns is impressive to say the least. As much as I love the 75D, there is room for improvement. Tesla needs to refine the operation of the Fronk door. No need to simulate a classic car hood. It’s a storage area not an engine compartment. As it stands, the Fronk is not set up for high volume use. The lack of Apple Car Play is a disappointment. And although the bright white seats are a highlight (stunning in fact), the seats in form, control, and sophistication lag most high-end luxury cars. In short, the value of this car is far greater than the cost. Elon Musk created something very special with the Model S and the 2018 Model demonstrates Tesla’s commitment to excellence.

Smartphone on tires

Brian L-C, 03/18/2019
75D 4dr Sedan AWD (electric DD)

The acceleration is wickedly fun. Autopilot is hugely convenient in stop and go highway traffic. Where you live relative to superchargers and service centers could influence whether this is a good purchase. Besides the very occasional glitchy software function, or mechanical part function (for which there are few), there is almost no maintenance required. I would have gone just for an oil change 4 or 5 times in a year driving over 30k miles. I had just one routine check for the Tesla in a year. In temperatures below freezing the battery range falls dramatically. I use about 160 miles of range to travel 100 miles when the temp is down around 10 degrees. The cabin also gets very hot on sunny, hot days. Automatic temp features will keep the cabin under 103 when you're not using it (which will impact battery). As I never travel more than 130 miles/day for work, range is never an issue. Vehicle inspections are interesting. Most garage attendants have not inspected a Tesla before. Be prepared to walk them through every check they need to make. If they want to see under the car, inform them of the jack function and weight of the car.

Buyer's remorse?

BLC, 12/02/2018
75D 4dr Sedan AWD (electric DD)

No...I love the car. I went from a BMW 3 series xDrive to this, and the driving experience in the Tesla has been phenomenal. The OTA updates since March 2018, when I got the car, have only made the experience better. The features in today's Teslas will become common, and then outdated, in the near future, but that's just how things generally go. Charging will get faster. Methods of charging will change. Fuel types will change. But you got to jump in some time. The current autopilot eases long commutes. Frustrating stop and go traffic isn't as frustrating because work tasks like checking emails, organizing schedules, and taking notes are possible. The car handles well in all weather conditions (wet, dry, deep snow).

After owning a Tesla I will never own a gas car

Kevin W, 08/29/2018
100D 4dr Sedan AWD (electric DD)

Tesla has been the best car I have ever owned. I am on my second one. The technology is amazing. The self driving capabilities relieve the burden and increase of the safety. The giant touch screen is very pleasing it convenient. Being able to pull into my garage and plug in rather than touching snotty gas candles has been my favorite. I have never had to have it serviced. No oil changes. No engine to dips. Unlike the Boxee electric cars of the past this car is very sporty and a beauty to look at.

Terrible customer service

drj, 02/17/2018
100D 4dr Sedan AWD (electric DD)

I’ve had a tesla for almost a year. It had several problems that where fixed. Yesterday my rear tire was punctured with an object on the road. I called Tesla roadside and my car was transported to the service center. I called early to make sure I had my car back on the same day Unfortunately there where NO spare tire or inventory tires in stock. Then there where NO tesla loaners cars. For a 100k+ vehicle that doesn’t come with a spare tire the support is ridiculous and unacceptable. I’m left without a car for a problem that could be resolved in 5 minutes with a spare tire. I had a full day a Patients to see at different hospitals and had to cancel on them because I had no reliable transportation. I called management and I’m still waiting for a call back. I love the car, but I’m done with customer service. Last tesla I will buy. I finally got my car back. Terrible car wash and vacuum job.

Musk is not a car lover and it shows

Dave LV, 12/19/2018
100D 4dr Sedan AWD (electric DD)

Musk doesn’t want drivers but rather only passengers in self driving vehicles. He misses that a whole lot of us like to drive. Teslas lack: heads up displays, ventilated and massaging seats, door pockets, interior bling, leather, customizing design options, performance data recorders. And unlike competitors Jaguar and Audi, going off road in a Tesla voids the warranty. Teslas are more kit car-ish than real luxury. And not to have satellite radio even as an option in the Model 3 just shows Musk and his team have never driven across country where there is no cellular service along long parts of highway. Teslas are great for California but lack depth for most of the country. Hopefully a major update will address the many flaws.

Piece of crap - sales rep complete liars

Dan, 11/19/2018
P100D 4dr Sedan AWD (electric DD)

NO NOT BUY THIS CAR. Sales reps were blatant liars on the 21 inch performance tires. I upgraded the tires for $7.5K and rep said you can easily swap the tires out in the winter. Not true, you need new tires and rims - another $5K+. God help you when you call the dealer for service; expect to be put on hold for an hour. If you schedule on line, they never respond to your emails. I have never seen service this horrible for a car over $100K. I tried to call and email dealer general manager and he could care less. Add to the fact the car rattles and squeaks constantly, you would think I bought a tinker toy. I am looking to trade it back it in, again dealer won't even respond. Absolutely horrible!

51050