2021 Subaru Forester Consumer Reviews

Save as much as $861
Select your model:
12345...10

Pros
Cons

Glad we considered it!

Nick N Nora, 03/31/2021
4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Very comfortable, great head room, superb views from all windows. Substantial cargo area in hatch. Large glove compartment. Turn signals are not obnoxious, as most vehicles tend to be. Windshield and rear window wipers are large- sweep very well. Steering radius is fantastic!!!

New Subaru Buyer

Rgl, 03/24/2021
Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

After 30 plus years driving Toyota vehicles I am a picky hard sell to change. My dealership would not deal with me so I changed to Subaru with hopes of similar reliability. My 2021 Forester limited has more options than a RAV4 limited and for over 3k less. Standard AWD, comfortable ride and better mpg. Just did a 300 mile weekend trip and the vehicle was great! So far very happy with my first Subaru.

A Great Choice

Rod Grodt, 04/26/2021
4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I researched all the small and medium-size SUVs for a replacement for our 2016 Hyundai Tucson Eco and the Forester seemed the best choice. It broke our string of five no-problem Hyundais going back to 2000. The Forester delivers in all categories. It's roomy, economical and safe. The gas mileage is between 33-35 on the highway and 31-33 combined. It's about the same as the Tucson. A lot of magazines criticize the CVT transmission, but it's a welcome change from the dual-clutch in the Tucson which was really the only complaint. The Forester is more comfortable and has more cargo space. It's quiet on the highway and the full-time 4-wheel drive is fantastic in the rain. I love the car. Only complaint is that trying to figure out all the electronics is baffling. But, eventually, that will come around. One feature I don't like is that the engine shuts off when you stop in traffic for more than a few seconds. When you lift your foot off the brake, it sort of bangs back to life. There is a switch to override this function, but you have to turn it on every time you drive the car. There should be a permanent override or simply do away with this supposedly environmental function. We purchased the base model which had the wheel upgrade and interior rubber mat package. Our dealership was fantastic to work with and overall I feel we got a great deal.

Ad
Build Your Forester®
At a Glance:
  • 9 Colors
  • 5 Trims
  • $24,795starting MSRP

Great car that got better!

Joe of Delaware, 12/21/2020
Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Traded in our 2016 Forester for the 2021 model and couldn’t be happier. Both models were the Premium line and there is so much more included in the 2021 over the 2016 that it is amazing. The ride is superior and so is the road noise (much quieter that is). Instrumentation and comfort is also much improved. So far couldn’t be happier. One thing to note is that because they put more into the car, you now have to purchase the cargo rails separately, but at $200 it was not the end of the world either.

1st Subaru after 21 years of Honda products

Mike, 03/02/2021
Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Picked up my 2021 Forester Touring on Saturday and wish I had looked at Subaru years ago. A much better product than Honda. Solid in every aspect - my prior 2019 CRV was all over the road in bad weather (snow, rain and wind). Made the switch to go back to AWD and it is like night and day. IMHO there is plenty of acceleration to get on and pass on the highway (was worried when reading reviews) but it has plenty of get up and go! Comfortable and a pleasure to drive - went out on Sunday and drove over 150 miles and didn't realize it - did not want to get out of the car. The only complaint - and it is MINOR - is the placement of the lap seat belt attachment. Different placement and size compared to the Honda, but everything else is top of the line. Lots of tech (if you want to use it). As a long term Honda owner (owning the Pilot, CRV, Element and Odyssey) the Forester is hands down the best vehicle I have owned.

12345...10