Used 2014 Subaru Forester Consumer Reviews - 147 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2014 Subaru Forester

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

Great Car with Faulty Electronics and poor origina
By Darrell Devine

2014 Subaru Forester 2.5i PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Battery issues are common, navigation system is poor, electronic steering malfunctions from time to time.

Oil consumption is high
By Anuj

2014 Subaru Forester 2.5i Premium PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

My subaru forester 2014 oil light comes on only after 6000 miles on it. Even though specs says it should go 7500 miles for a fill. Engine oil went completely dry at 6000 miles.

Oil consumption
By Bill McGarry

2014 Subaru Forester 2.0XT Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo CVT)

Had an oil consumption test after oil light went on several times. Even though specs call for 5.1 quarts during an oil change, it states on work order that technition added 6 quarts. After 1200 miles I was told that oil consumption was normal. Now after another 800 miles, oil level is half way between full and add oil markers. So it seems that when they do an oil consumption test, they overfill, so it reads normal after 1200 miles.

Subaru Forester disappoints!
By subie

2014 Subaru Forester 2.5i Limited PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

We purchased a 2005 new and expected the 2014 to be an evolution of that model...boy were we unpleasantly surprised. They should have called it something else because it drives and behaves in no similar way to the older model. We feel we are driving a totally different make than Subaru and now feel alienated as loyal Subaru customers: The car looks horrible from the dash...video game graphics and angular design is less than perfect. The power tailgate has never operated properly - after two dealer visits, we've given up on it and now we use it manually. It rides like a truck, has little road feel... it has absolutely no driving pleasure whatsoever. I supposed we should have shopped around and spent more time at the dealership to avoid this mistake!

So. Much. Oil.
By Jane

2014 Subaru Forester 2.5i Premium PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

I knew I was in trouble when, 6 weeks after purchasing this car, the low oil indicator came on. I've had to throw a quart in every 6 weeks or so ever since ... until 2 months ago when it dropped to every 4 weeks. I'm now done. There is no reason I should have to continue throwing oil into a car like this. I've Googled, I see that people are given the run around, I see I can haul myself to the dealer over and over for consumption tests (no thanks), and I know there was a class action lawsuit about it that they lost. I just want this car out of my life (I'm going tomorrow to get something else). In addition to the oil issue, the seats aren't comfortable at all. The seat itself is too short for my legs (I'm 5'8"). Yes, I did test drive it, but it was fine for that 10 minutes. I only noticed it after spending more time in it. The armrest is too short. The controls make NO sense. I can't hook up an iPod without being forced to control it through the car's controls, which is an exercise in futility. If you have a rear-facing car seat, the person sitting in front of it is jammed into the dash (my husband rides in back with our son more often than not because it's more comfortable). And, finally, the ride itself is rough. The car is at a low price point, and it never lets you forget why. Are there any plusses? Yes. Aesthetically, I like how it looks. The cargo area is roomy. It comes in manual transmission, which is a dying breed. Gas mileage is good. But overall, I hate this car with the white hot intensity of a thousand suns.