Used 2016 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Consumer Reviews

Used 1500 for Sale
Select your model:
12345...13

Pros
Cons

Ram 1500 Laramie 3.6L Gas V-6

Nicholas H, 03/28/2016
Laramie 4dr Crew Cab 5.6 ft SB (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

Many reviews on this site for either the 5.7 V-8 or the 3.0L diesel. My truck has the 3.6L gas motor. While it is not a sports car I find the power to be good for daily driving and have no issues passing or merging into busy rush hour traffic. The V-6 is quiet and has a nice growl to it when the pedal is pressed to the floor. For the savings ($1200 less than the Hemi plus $1000 additional rebate) I am happy I went with the Pentastar. With the 3.55 rear end I can still tow 7000 pounds and I am getting 20-21 MPG in mostly highway driving. The RAM is the most comfortable full size pickup on the market in my opinion, although I am disappointed in the lack of some safety features like front crash mitigation and blind spot monitoring. The Unconnect system is hands down the best infotainment system on the market including luxury manufacturers.

great truck

ted, 03/09/2016
Big Horn 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 6.3 ft SB (5.7L 8cyl 8A)

if you are looking for more bang for the buck, then you really dont have to look any further than the ram 1500. ive done my research and shopping and you by far get more with the 2016 ram 1500. ford wont even try and match it. (and they are looking to get rid of the v8 engine by the way). although chevy will try and match the pricing (did my research with that too), they still dont give you the dual exhaust. i test drove the ford f150 and the chevy silverado and the ram 1500 beats them both. fords interior is nice. chevys interior is nice. but again, the ram 1500 interior is more luxurious. besides the fact that you also get a free 1 year subscription with sirius satellite radio with dodge. chevy and ford were only 6 months. and about that horsepower.......395 hp with the ram. chevy and ford dont give you that much. the passenger seating in the back is also very comfortable with the ram, and more comfortable than the chevy. you get alot more for your money with the ram 1500. this is my second ram 1500 lease and i am very satisfied with this truck. so satisfied that i just might be it outright at the end of the lease. for the life of me, i really dont know why anyone would want any other truck.

Dodge Ram 1500 Crew Saved Me!

Christopher Faber, 03/31/2017
SLT 4dr Crew Cab 6.3 ft SB (5.7L 8cyl 8A)

I was involved in a accident in which a driver crossed into the south bound lanes, from the north bound lanes. The driver clipped the tail end of my Dodge Ram which sent me spinning splitting a telephone pole in half causing me to rollover 4 times. All air bags deployed and the bed of the truck, the wheels and various other parts of the truck were destroyed, but the cab stayed in tact allowing me to walk away from the accident with only neck strain from the seat belt. I believe the well built truck saved my life and will be replacing the totalled truck with another Dodge Ram. Great job Dodge on the engineering of this truck.

Awesome Luxury Truck with Econo-Box Mileage

Rod Reichardt, 12/29/2015
Laramie 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.6 ft SB (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

This review is for a 2016 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn 4 wheel drive crew cab with the 5'6" bed with the 3.6 liter turbo diesel motor. This is my 3rd Ram truck in the past 10 years and easily my favorite of the bunch. I live in Texas and I like driving a truck. In the past I have had difficulty justifying the purchase price and the poor fuel economy because I really don't NEED a truck that often. It is useful to have a truck sometime but I don't need one on a regular basis. I do occasionally pull a trailer that is around 5000lbs but I only use it 4-5 times a year. My 2013 Ram 1500 with a Hemi pulled the trailer easily but mileage took a nosedive into the single digits. With the Italian built 3.0 liter diesel my new Ram gets 17+ mpg doing the same job. Overall without the trailer I am getting 25-26 mpg in mixed driving. This is just amazing for a 6000 pound 4 wheel drive truck. It seems that with the EcoDiesel you can have your cake and eat it too. In my case that means I can use a big heavy truck as my daily driver and still get fuel economy that is solidly in the 20s. In highway driving it is possible to aver 30-31mpg as long as you stay below 70mph. You can probably tell that I am a fan of the V6 diesel option in the Ram. So what is the downside? Initial cost is one issue. The diesel is a premium over the gas V6 or even the Hemi V8. Maintenance cost is also higher. Oil changes happen at 8000 miles for the diesel versus 10,000 for the gas motors. If you want to DIY the oil changes you'll find that the filter runs about $50 and the sump holds 11.5 quarts of synthetic oil. You'll also need to replenish the 8 gallon DEF tank every 9-10,000 miles. The fuel filter also needs to be changed every 20,000 miles or so. So if you're considering the Ram EcoDiesel purely to save money then you might want to do the math first. It will take quite a few gallons of low sulphur diesel to offset the additional costs associated with the diesel. If you can make the equation work out in favor of the diesel I think you will enjoy the ride. The range is usually well over 500 miles from the 26 gallon tank. It's not as punchy off the line as the hemi (I haven't driven the gas V6) but doesn't feel slow either. There is some definite turbo induced lag from a dead stop but once underway there is no trace of lag and you feel like you're riding a wave of torque. In normal driving the truck feels plenty quick. In full throttle runs it runs out of breath sooner than the hemi. If you don't do a lot of full throttle sprints the diesel will feel as quick or quicker than the V8. Part of the credit for the seamless torque from the EcoDiesel goes to the 8 speed auto transmission. Shifts are smooth and quiet. I have yet to catch it hunting for the right gear. The rotary dash mounted shifter takes some getting used to. After 3 weeks and 1300 miles I don't notice it much anymore. Compared to my 2013 Ram this frees up a lot of space on the console. The Ram 1500 has coil springs at all 4 corners and the ride benefits from this. The truck handles well given it's size. I am amazed by how large half-ton trucks have gotten these days. I think the interior of this truck is something special. I looked far and wide to find a truck with the black/cattle tan interior. It has various wood trim panels that are actually made of real wood. I know that wood trim in a truck sounds silly but I think it looks great. My truck does have heated front and rear seats along with a heated steering wheel. I have really appreciated that the last few days with the temps near freezing here in Central Texas. The front seats are ventilated but I haven't really used those as I bought the truck in December. The crew cab has a really roomy back seat though my son has complained that the seat backs are too upright for him. The rear seat folds up and there are foldout panels underneath to give a flat load floor. There is some storage under the seats but on my truck much of that space is taken up by the subwoofer that comes with the Alpine sound system. Sound quality is better than the base system but seems a bit harsh to me. The UConnect system with 8.4 inch screen works great. I would love to see Android Auto and Apple CarPlay integration but the Garmin based nav works well as does the bluetooth. It works nicely with my iPod touch and my son's iPhone. Messaging works well with my Galaxy Note 5. I love the Sirius TravelLink with weather (reports and radar) and traffic. Driving through Dallas the day after Christmas it warned me of tornadoes and at one point gave me a message that there was a tornado reported in my location. My son looked up and we were directly under a large funnel cloud. The ParkSense system and rear camera are a must IMO. You can probably tell that I love this truck. It was not cheap with an msrp of $56,184 and only time will tell how the EcoDiesel holds up. Go drive one and see for yourself.

Unbelievable Diesel half ton

Reid V., 07/31/2016
Laramie 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 6.3 ft SB (5.7L 8cyl 8A)

Initial review - I purchased a Laramie EcoDiesel crew cab 6'4" bed 2 weeks ago. It's the nicest riding vehicle I've ever been in. It soaks up the bumps and dirt roads with ease. The 3.0 diesel is amazing. The trip home from the dealership (155 miles, mostly HWY) I managed 27.4 mpg, over the EPA estimate. Part of this due to the fantastic 8 speed transmission. It's always in the right gear and never "hunts". Acceleration is OK, but I didn't buy a ~6k lb vehicle with a small diesel to drag race. I test drove a hemi and it was straight up fast, also unnecessary. The leather interior is awesome and the ventilated seats work very well. Rear storage is excellent and fold flat floors work well. I've only had 1 issue with the Uconnect system, but a reset fixed that. Pandora, Bluetooth streaming and USB "browsing" all work excellent. The Alpine sound system is good for me, I'm not a huge audiophile though. Stock tires are mediocre, but most vehicles have this issue so no negative marks. 15000 mile Review - Still loving the truck. Fuel mileage has dropped a bit with the colder weather and winter fuel. I've been getting 24-25mpg with routine driving but can push it closer to 26 mpg if I really try. I have been using the block heater and winter front cover too. The latter really helps the engine warm up at highway speeds when it's below 0 and windy. No reliability issues or CELs. 4wd and LSD has worked fine in the snow although, again, the tires are just mediocre. The heated seats take a bit longer than expected to get warm, not a huge deal. I did take a ~1000 mile trip to Maine and back right after my initial review. With 3 guys, a bed packed full of gear and a 20' aluminum boat (also with gear) we got 18mpg. A very hilly trip too and I was pulling 75mph a good portion of the way. 68000 mile review - The truck is still performing excellent. I've moved to running AT tires (Nokian Rotiiva AT) instead of the stock SRAs for the 3 warmer seasons and have lost 1-2 MPG depending on how I drive. I also downsized to 17" wheels with snow tires for the winter and have lost a little more most likely due to the cold weather. Currently averaging 23-24 with normal winter temps. When it gets below 0 or I'm speeding excessively / towing a small utility trailer that does drop a little. I do get oil undercoating every late fall / early winter and so far only a few small spots of surface rust on the frame, most likely high wear areas. CONS - @ 34k my SAT radio stopped working. The entire head unit was replaced under warranty. Right before this winter I noticed a little water had made it into the cab at the rear passenger corner. Turns out the 3rd brake light gasket isn't the best design and needs to be replaced. I'll get on that in the spring. All of the other issues were my own fault...

12345...13