Used 2009 Nissan Xterra SUV Consumer Reviews - 19 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Nissan Xterra SUV Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Xterra model:

2009 Nissan Xterra
By Maria

2009 Nissan Xterra SUV S 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I love my Xterra ... This is my 3rd winter in Maine and I am coming across issues w/ not starting on very cold mornings (we haven't seen a winter like this in Maine is 15years). I've been told this is a known issue w/ the Xterra's and the ECM (google it). Besides this one issue I love it, great power ! Handles the road great !.

Great Vehicle With Minor Flaws
By Brian

2009 Nissan Xterra SUV S 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

Overall, this has been a great vehicle since being purchased used with 56,000 miles. Our Xterra is currently ready to hit 90,000 miles, and we have been happy with the reliability and performance of the vehicle. The engine provides sufficent power to get up and go. The Xterra can tow up to 5,500 pounds, although we have yet to use ours for this purpose. Handling in the snow is perfect when in 4WD (can be a bit sketchy in 2WD due to being RWD). We have had zero problems with the drivetrain, however, this Xterra had the issue with coolant leaking into the transmission prior to our purchase. The radiator, transaxle, and differential were all replaced by the previous owner. If you do purchase an Xterra, make sure this problem was resolved or you could end up paying big money to fix these issues. Our only other complaint about the Xterra has been some electrical issues. We had to replace an airbag sensor that went bad and Nissan refused to pay for it because the VIN of our was not included in the recall on this even though it fell within the years that were recalled for this issue. The lock on the hatch quit working and the motor on the driver's door also quit. As many have mentioned, the interior quality is pretty cheap (plastics scratch easily), but that is not a big issues for our family. These things will last 200,000 plus if you take care of them and provide the necessary maintenance.

Happy Camper
By Jack Kansas

2009 Nissan Xterra SUV SE 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

A solid unit that tows like there is nothing behind. Two road trips of 2500 miles and was very pleased with the comfort for a truck that also is a tank off road. Handles much better in snow than my old G Cherokee. I looked at the fj, H3 and others but the visibility on the X was a huge selling point. If you want an "out door" vehicle it's nice to see it. I would recommend and buy again. A good value.

I miss the compass, outside temp, and mileage/fuel info features of the G Cherokee. I rub against the seal on the drivers door frame while getting in and out. This has frayed and ripped and needs to be replaced. Repositioning the door back just a few inches would solve this.

beast 4x4
By jag

2009 Nissan Xterra SUV SE 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I did my home work compare and test drive a jeep, fj and blazer and i decided to get a xterra. drove it in ohio winter storm with 24 inches of snow off road no problem still lots of power its a beast for a 4x4. i love it hope they have a bigger tires and higher ground clearance.:)

sound system, masculin look

gas mil, better wheels...

Cool truck, but not great quality
By cobra7

2009 Nissan Xterra SUV S 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this truck and loved it for the first 13,000 miles or so. The RF stereo sounds great, the Bluetooth phone system is great and the potential capability of the truck is excellent. However, at around 13,000 miles, the vibrations and squeaks started making me question the long term quality. There is an odd metallic vibration that comes from the front of the truck when the engine hits about 1750 RPMs when driving. Also, while I don't mind the appearance of the hard plastic interior materials, they do scratch easily. This is mostly a problem in the cargo area, where hauling basic, normal will leave it scratched up after only a couple of times. The roof rack is fantastic, though.

Roof rack can haul just about anything, stereo, exterior appearance, Bluetooth, torquey engine, shift-on-fly 4X4, car tie down hooks in cargo area.

Use more scratch resistant materials in cargo area with a less slippery floor, reduce engine vibration, improve auto tranny shift points and kick-down point, raise center console for better arm rest, make both front windows auto up and down, offer heated seats, offer Homelink