Used 2006 Mitsubishi Eclipse Consumer Reviews - 136 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Mitsubishi Eclipse

View reviews for a specific Eclipse model:

Overall A Good Buy
By joey45

2006 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

This is a fun car to drive and a headturner for sure. I have 62K on the car and have had virtually no problems except one big problem.

My breaks became spongy after 50K. Since it was past the 5 year warrenty I had to pay for the repairs myself. Bleeding the breaks worked for a few months, then the problem came back. Next, it was thought to be the master cylinder, that was replaced and then the problem came back after a few months. Now all thats left is the booster, which may be faulty. So overall this problem is going to end up costing me over $800.

Also outside trim/molding for this car is HORRBle. It was worn out after only 6 1/2 years. Cost to fix? $925

They need to use better components when building the car.

Amazing!
By tombrater

2006 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT 2dr Hatchback (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

Okay...I have only had this car for a week. I bought it used with 55k miles. I will update this if I run into any problems, but I am confident that I won't have to. The car looks sweet and turns heads. I took the Eclipse lettering off of the back to create an extra clean look. It is extremely powerful and responsive with acceleration and handling thanks to the 6 speed manual transmission. The RF sound system is one of the best systems I have heard. The car feels sturdy too. No rattles out of the hatchback or anywhere for that matter. The blue instrumental lighting is nice too. As for the person that paid $300 per tire, I found good year 18in tires for $140, and that was brand new.

6 speed manual, 18 in wheels, instrument lighting, sound of motor, sound of stereo system, solidity, body design, ground clearance

None at the moment.

Awesome Compromise
By TxFemme

2006 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT 2dr Hatchback (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

I bought my Eclipse used with 17K miles on it. I now have 29K and it has not so much as hiccuped. It's powerful, fun to drive, and I get compliments almost daily. The RF system is AWESOME, best stock system I've ever owned (and there have been many). It's a relatively comfortable ride for a sports car and I've taken it on several long road trips. The backseat is best suited for those under 5'4" but at least it has one. The curb weight gives the car a substantial, safe feel. The stock tires are not as sticky as I'd like in slippery conditions. Probably the main negative point for me is the turning radius. Also, the powerful engine combined with FWD equals major torque steer at times.

RF sound system, roomy trunk for a sports coupe, sexy styling, 25mpg (great for so much power).

Do something about the turning radius!! Consider an AWD option.

Can't wait to sell it
By Puglove

2006 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my Eclipse new and the second week I had a tick in the engine and my exhaust rattled. The dealer had no explanation for the tick except to change the oil...did nothing. My CD changer went out in year 3. The air conditioning controls also went out...the fan works but no cold air except for #1 on the dial. I now also have some loud rubbing noise coming from the back end. When driving it sounds like something is open as you hear all road noises. When it rains something in the hatch leaks. The gas mileage is good however and this car has pep even with the air on (if the air works that is). This is my first foreign car and will be my last. Mits has made me frown on foreign.

Style

I just don't like this car other than looks.

Dependability
By Jayme

2006 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT 2dr Hatchback (3.8L 6cyl 5A)

This was the 1st 2006 sold in the Middle TN area and my 2nd Eclipse. I now have 57,000 miles and is still going strong. The original brakes squealed and had to replace with ceramic brakes. It is extremely quick and fun to drive. The sound system is top notch but the display could be a little more sophisticated. The original tires have lasted 57,000 miles and just now need to be replaced. If only the resale value was better.

Sound system, interior dash lights and smooth speed.

Improve brakes, higher quality interior trim