Used 2010 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class Consumer Reviews - 29 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2010 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific GL-Class model:

If you have an endless supply of money....
By Jeff S.

2010 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class GL350 BlueTEC 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 7A)

We have had a 2010 GL350 with Bluetec for over 3 years. DEF heating components, suspension, compressors, nox sensors, etc. have continually failed and the parts and labor on these things are not cheap. MB gave us 10% off when the heating element for the DEF went out just a few thousand miles after the warranty expired. They don't really care as evidenced on my E350's with Bluetec check engine light would not go off and triggered so many other codes to repair it is now ready to be scrapped and sent off the the auction in the sky. Be forewarned, MB does not stand behind these products, will not issue recalls and our most recent problem with the GL350 was smoke bellowing off the engine compartment and diesel leaving a trail on the way home. Not sure what it is this time, but am sure it will be expensive, that is a MB guarantee. My issue this time is this vehicle could have caught on fire. Yes, just like last week on the E350, I will fire off another email to MB CEO Deitmar Exler today, but don't expect too many results from it?

Very smooth drive but expensive to repair/maintain
By Powell

2010 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class GL450 4MATIC 4dr SUV AWD (4.7L 8cyl 7A)

Drives like a dream. Very reliable overall but when something does go bad the cost to repair is usually twice the highest amount you think it could be before taking it to the dealer. For example; $3K to switch out the 2 front shocks and air springs. $1K to switch out the motor on the power gate lift. Even with that extra cost it is worth it overall.

Worst car I ever had, never again!!!
By ahmad khalid

Stay away from Mercedes gl. This is a disaster car. I bought this car with minimal milage on it, after 50, 000, it started to fall apart. I had the following problems in 6 months: oil leak, sound stopped working, right mirror stopped working, rear suspensions made an explosion sound while I was driving, and many other problems. My mother in law had one and had many problems with it, but I thought she was just unlucky so I bought one, what a disaster. I was afraid driving anywhere because i was worried it was gonna break any time. I was ready to give it away for free because repairs were soooo expensive. The day I sold it (25000 dollars less), I felt so relieved. Stay away from this car.

Care for
By Timothy Allen

This has all the required service timely and fully performed. Almost new brakes, new tires and a new diesel particulate filter. Emissions inspection for 2 years 11/09/2016. Has been well taken care of with normal wear and tear. Nav system updated 11/09/2016.

I Have sold the car for the maintenance after 160,000 miles became very expensive and on going every month or so.

Great ride when it's not in the shop
By David M.

2010 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class GL450 4MATIC 4dr SUV AWD (4.7L 8cyl 7A)

Pros: Handles well for the size of the car. Love the styling. Acceleration with V8 allows you to move quickly when needed. Cons: Lots of repairs over 2 year period: engine $5000, rubber flex boot for smooth ride 3 wheels at $850 each, air diffuser 3 at $350 each, visor deteriorated $400, etc. I probably have spent $10 k in maintenance over 2 years. I did buy a 3 year extended warranty for $3,800 which covered the engine repair. Car was in the shop for 6 weeks while the warranty company validated the repair. This is not a car for the budget conscious buyer. I'm selling mine before the warranty expires.