Used 2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 97 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Hatchback

View reviews for a specific C-Class model:

Great ride
By Mark

2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Hatchback C230 Rwd 2dr Sports Coupe (1.8L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I have now owned this car for 2 1/2 years and thought an update would be appropriate. I purchased this car in Honolulu but have since moved to the mainland. This car has been from Louisiana to California twice and to Chicago and back once. All three of these trips averaged around 29 MPG, with an average speed nearing 75 MPH! Not bad. The last trip was a 1705 mile trip over two days; I had no back pain with very few stops. This car does have more creaks and rattles than I would like, is very small, and doesn't handle much luggage, but for a work day runner and with the cost of gas today, I still made a fantastic choice.

Gas mileage, sunroof, nimble feel on the road, no worries due to maintenance plan.

Several improvements are necessary. The sound system quality in this car is pathetic and I admit, I listen to it very little due to this. The tires placed on the car new only got 21,000 miles before they were bald. Too many rattles for a Mercedes Benz. Would I buy it again? Maybe?

My first Mercedes
By animechan

Having driven many Mercedes in past but never owning one until now, I am not disappointed. I bought mine barely used with only 3000 miles on it over 18 months ago and the true market value on Edmunds for Private Party sale is about the same as what I originally paid. Great value for the money. Would considering buying again when the next model comes out. Definitely worth buying compared to comparably priced cars such as Accord V6, Acura RSX, etc.

Panaramic roof, auto dimming mirrors, auto rainshield wipers, sound system, remote control, good handling and great gas mileage (but still has decent power)

Wish I had the power seats, which are overpriced. Auto transmission sometimes a little testy going from first to second gear.

2003 Mercedes-Benz C320 - Odd butt, but I love it
By Tommy New Wave

2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Hatchback C320 Rwd 2dr Sports Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

I've owned my 2003 Mercedes-Benz C320
for almost two years and 7,000 miles without
any no problems. I love it, and my
wife has to tear the keys out my hands
every couple weeks to borrow it for the
day. It still feels new, looks new, and
drives like it cost twice the money. If
I could only find an AMG motor and
brakes to drop into it...

The handling, the room (I'm 6'4" and fit great), the power. And can't forget those breaks. Dynamic exhilaration at it's best. My wife loves the panorama roof, my son the audio system. I love the 17" wheels and leather... ah, the smell. Even after 23 months...

Drink holder is flimsy, so we are careful with it, but it works. I have two small kids who love to ride in back, but there is no drink holder for them whatsoever. It needs one back there.

Great Car
By smohamme

This is a superb car with great looks.
It handles corners great and has pep.

Looks and handling.

Get another CD changer.

Great Ride
By jmoore25

This is the wife's car but I drive it
every chance I get. When looking for
this car we drove just about everthing
in the two door 25-40K price range and
found the C230 to be the best value.
We also liked the BMW 330
but could not justify the extra 10K to
get the same options as the Mercedes.
And for about the same price as the BMW
225 we thought the C230 was just a
nicer car. With the 17" tires the
suspension is fantastic, soft and quiet
at cruising speed yet tight and stiff
on country roads. Engine is excellent,
does not suck you into your seat like
my 01 Stang GT but that is not the goal
of this car.

Great gas millage, trip computer shows us getting 33MPG on trips. Safety features are world class. Leather seats are of excellent quality far exceeding the stuff put in by most other builders. Like the 6 speed manual.

Sunroof - way too much wind noise on the highway. 17" Tires - not a complaint because I think they really finish the car off and would buy them again but we are only going to get 20k miles out of them, just a heads up on that...