Used 2008 Mazda MX-5 Miata Consumer Reviews - 67 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Mazda MX-5 Miata

View reviews for a specific MX-5 Miata model:

It is true what others are raving about this car...
By mx5v

2008 Mazda MX-5 Miata Grand Touring 2dr Convertible w/Power Hard Top (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

Still kicking myself for not checking this car out earlier. This is not kind of Sport edition, SE of other pretend to be sport cars off the regular boring cars. It was built from ground up. I finally test drove a few and that was it - I had to have one. Manual is one of the best I ever drove, but for some reason, I just could not fully enjoy the car with manual. Fortunately, dealer had 2007 PRHT w/auto, besides the fact it had 60,000 miles on it, it drove same as brand new one.
Both me and my wife were blown away with joy this car delivers. This car sent shock waves through my family.
I never seen any other car to make such effect before. We own 2008 now and discovering even more joy.

The whole car, but especially Power Retractable Hard Top, Xeon Lights, Bose sound, Instrument cluster illumination. Pop the hood, look underneath and see how practical sport cars (not just for few wealthy ones) should be built.

Please, Mazda keep making mx-5 as long as cars are built, bought and sold. It would be a great lost to humanity, if Mazda stop building these real gems. Perhaps, Mazda can improve marketing. Most dealers do not even have this cars in the showroom, yet it is the best cars Mazda ever built.

Why aren't more cars built like this?
By OwnDaRoad

2008 Mazda MX-5 Miata Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I have had my Miata for 21,000 miles without a major problem, other than routine maintenance. I have been asking other car companies to put this formula together, but only Mazda wants to do it. Even if you already have a truck/van/SUV that you are happy with, I would strongly recommend this car. The fuel and maintenance savings alone of using this for regular trips would almost pay for one of the most dependable machines I've ever owned.

Perfect handling, total control, good sound system, surefooted, ease of getting the top up and down.

Build a hatchback version with some decent cargo space. Just as important, everyone is asking for a rotary engine Miata.

High Priced Tin Can.
By Ewok

2008 Mazda MX-5 Miata Sport 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My back can't handle much of this car. After an hour or so I believe I'd feel better if I was on a medieval torture rack. Would that it took that long to get tired of the racket this car makes. Took it in for service to deal with the rattle, squeak, and squeal from the dash. The service people were really nice but unfortunately the problem is still there. So if you like paying 20,000 for a tin can this is the car for you.

I have the soft top and I do like that you can raise and lower it without leaving the car. It's also fun to drive, providing you have a friend put pressure on the dashboard so as to suppress the constant rattle, squeak, and squeal emanating from there.

You guessed it; get rid of the rattle, squeak, and squeal. I have a 9 year old Honda that doesn't make near the noise. Also, a front seat that doesn't double as a torture chamber would be nice.

Excellent
By Hydro

2008 Mazda MX-5 Miata Touring 2dr Convertible w/Power Hard Top (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

This car has great handling but there's room for improvement. What it lacks in power makes up for taking turns at 40 mph. For what it is, it's a great value for the amount of fun you will have. Yes, the interior is a little "cheap", but you get what you pay for. If that bothers you spend couple bucks and put some nice leather pieces in it. I've heard a million times that the car is girlie. To be honest, I've only gotten compliments ever since. I've had it for 3 months (an automatic), no problems and smiles everyday. As a daily driver back and forth to work the auto is great.

The front of the car isn't my cup of tea, but I do like it. I think it looks a world better then 09+. I just can't drive a car that's smiling. Hardtop, is by far my favorite feature. Some may complain about the 12 seconds not sufficing to do at a stop light, but if you time it right, you def can.

CUP HOLDER! I'm relatively short but man that cup holder on the door hitting my knee is annoying! Other then that they could of done a better job with ride comfort. It is what it is tho, it's a roadster not a Lexus. It's noisy and it doesn't take well to rough roads.

2008 Touring Hardtop 6 speed
By rabbit

2008 Mazda MX-5 Miata Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I wanted a convertible & found MX5 has the package deal. Discount off MSRP was very attractive too. Fit me well (5'4"). There are after markets that sell for faster speed & other accessories...

Hardtop, handling with the suspension package, fun driving with good speed (not for racing unless you have the turbo), fuel efficiency, good price, free 3 year roadside assistance (who needs spare tire?), low maintenance cost, cute car.

Lack interior storage space (need to redesign for sunglasses & purse storage spaces), rattle somewhere at dashboard, inadequate seat & ride comfort, gease leakage from trunk cover, no sun visor for side view, poor map light, lack good color choice (purple would be nice).