Used 2006 Mazda 3 Consumer Reviews - 329 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Mazda 3

View reviews for a specific 3 model:

Great fun, and reasonably practical
By lurkin

2006 Mazda 3 s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I prefer a standard shift, and so I really enjoy this car. It is the best car I have ever owned, considering it cost me $17k as an "economy car." Great value. Cargo capacity is impressive, comfort is very reasonable, although over time, chintzy interior materials and high maintenance bills disappoint. She eats tires and her tires are expensive; third set within 100k miles at $750 a set. Expensive also was the turn-signal switch replacement with "stealership" labor pricing, as well as a broken motor mount, and failed fuel injector. Downside is, maintenance adds up pretty substantially, IMO. You do pay for the sporty performance eventually. Great fun, versatile and reasonably practical.

Responsiveness and handling, acceleration on straightaways; really good performance with 5–speed manual shift; and you really can haul an impressive amount of cargo in this vehicle. Great lines and generous in design and standard features, though I think that now, 5 years later Mazda is getting a little outlandish with their styling for the Mazda3.

I wish that tMazda would lighten up with their labor charges. It felt like robbery to pay $420 for a fuel injector replacement, or $250 for a broken (nylon) motor mount, or $150 for a turn–signal switch. Also, it is sheer opportunism to charge $100 to clear the computer code, when an auto parts store can do it for free. Caveat emptor; economy pricing up-front will vanish with scheduled maintenance. However, with all that said, I do like this car very much and would own a Mazda6 maybe someday ;o)

Best Car Out There
By gegpdx

2006 Mazda 3 s Grand Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 2006 Mazda3 Grand Touring Hatchback new when it first came out in '05 and drove it for about 78,000 miles before a guy lost control of his car on a highway, hit the driver side of my car causing the airbags to deploy and spinning us into a ditch. Because of the high safety standards, we were all able to walk away from the accident with minor injuries, when looking at my car, we should have been on stretchers. My car saved our lives. I loved this car and will be buying a new one just as soon as I can find one. They are so great that no one wants to part with theirs. I recommend this car to everyone. Fun to drive, safe, and reliable.

Safety, good sounds system, great gas mileage, nice interior styling, amazing handling.

Awesome Sedan, Great Value
By pepsizen

2006 Mazda 3 s Grand Touring 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I have had this car for a year and a half now and I really like it a lot. It feels like I'm driving a sports car because of the pep and the great handling. It has 90k miles on it and in the time I've had it I haven't had to do anything other than regular maintenance. It is very reliable and I don't mind that it doesn't get great gas mileage (I average 25 - 28 mpg with a mix of city/highway) because it is so fun to drive. The sporty/luxury mix is perfect.

In the snow and ice, one must be careful of the pep and be easy on the gas pedal when accelerating after stopping, but other than that, I've had no problems driving it in the snow.

The rain-sensing automatic windshield wipers are by far my favorite feature. I also appreciate the automatic light-sensing headlights too - one less thing to worry about when driving. The heated leather seats are nice. There are controls to adjust the driver's seat to accommodate short people like me. The headlights are bright with a good spread, makes it easier to see on darkened country. roads without needing to turn on the brights. The overall quality of this car inside and out is really great. It's not very expensive either. The sunroof and fog lights are nice to have.

I changed the stereo out because there is no USB/iPod port on this year's model and I didn't want to mess with CD's, so now the lighted display on the dash does not work (it is built into the factory stereo) and I don't know what temperature I'm setting the heating and cooling at. The rear window defroster could work quicker and more efficiently. I'd like the seats to be more comfortable and I think the ride could be smoother. But not at the expense of the pep! The back tires were cupped when I bought it, not sure if that is common or not, but the new tires the dealership installed 13k miles ago aren't cupping so far. Could use automatic trunk release

Poor gas milage
By lordmetalz28

2006 Mazda 3 s 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

although i love everything about this car. i bought it for the gas milage and the gas mileage is disgusting. so now im locked into a 5 year 13k mistake.

everything but the gas milage

gas milage

Fanatastic Car!!
By afranchuk993

2006 Mazda 3 s Grand Touring 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

This car is fantastic! Never gives me any problems! The seats are extremely comfy no matter how long the drive. The fuel economy has been great (about 25-28 mpg) It also has a HUGE glove compartment and huge trunk. There is so much storage space! For some reason mine vibrates when idling at a red light and jerks when going from the 3rd to 4th gear. It never has left me stranded anywhere, but when my mother drove it in the winter it left her stranded at safeway and also overheated. But I have never once had a problem. But my mothers 2007 Mazda 3 GT is smooth, runs fantastic and never has a problem. These are great cars and I would suggest buying one!

Huge glove compartment, Fun to drive, Speedy, Comfortable seating

Maybe better fuel economy...