Used 2018 Kia Niro Plug-In Hybrid SUV Consumer Reviews

List Price Estimate

Used Niro Plug-In Hybrid for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:

Pros
Cons

Great car for San Diego; Flawed Heating System

Lazyj, 10/25/2018
LX 4dr SUV (1.6L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6AM)

We live in Olympia, Washington. This is a great car for our needs. It's a small city, so 26 miles electric is plenty for our in-town driving. We just passed 3,000 miles, and have used 24 gallons of gasoline. We really like the ease of entry and exit. Upright seats, high enough off the ground so you don't crawl out of it like a Prius, and doors that open super wide. There is one clear bit of lazy engineering: the heating system only works when the engine is running. The Prius Prime (the heads up competitor) has a heat pump system, that runs using electricity. The Niro does not, even though an air conditioner is essentially the same device as a heat pump running in reverse. In Olympia, where we have cool weather and dampness, we do need to run the heat all winter. That forces on the engine (but the car still is propelled as an electric; this big four-cylinder 1600cc engine running just to provide heat and defrost. This is why I say it's a great car for Phoenix or San Diego, where you don't need heat much of the time. Around here, the Prius Prime is probably a better value if it meets your needs. It does not meet our needs. I am a big 300# fella. This car fits me reasonably well. The Prius does not.

Excellent Car! Plug-in Hybrid

JM, 09/06/2018
EX 4dr SUV (1.6L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6AM)

Excellent car, and value. Most importantly for us is that it seats 5 "real size" people: Even with front seats moved all the way back, there is sufficient leg room and headroom for adults in back. We are able to fit two adults and a car seat across the back seat. "CarPlay" will present phone navigation on the car's screen, even without buying the navigation option.

Kia Niro Plug-in Gas/Electric Hybrid

Dan McGill, 02/11/2019
EX 4dr SUV (1.6L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6AM)

I love that most of my driving is now powered by solar energy that I buy from PG&E, that the vehicle is a lot of fun to drive, it has great cargo space compared to Volt, Clarity, and Prius Prime (it's main competitors), and it lets me rest easier knowing I did something about global climate change (which is very real in the area I live). This car replaced a 2005 Toyota RAV4 which was averaging around 22 mpg as opposed to between 53 mpg and 92 mpg so far. The performance is similar, except the safety features are much better on the Niro and I now only go to the gas station to fill a smaller tank once a month.

Plugged In To Avoid Gas Stations

John, 08/19/2018
EX 4dr SUV (1.6L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6AM)

The 2018 Kia Niro Plug In is a great car. Ever since the Niro Hybrid arrived in 2017 I waited patiently for the 2018 Niro Plug In to arrive at local dealerships. The Niro Plug In is a perfect match for us. We live in a small rural city so the 26 mile electric range enables us to ride gas free locally 100 percent of the time. But when we take a longer drive like we did recently, we have the peace of mind knowing the Niro Plug In will switch to the gas engine and still get close to 50 mpg. Plugging in the car is really simple using a normal electric outlet in our garage most times taking on average between 6 to 7 hours which I do overnight. The Niro looks sharp like most SUVs these days and comes with all the comfort, safety and tech features that car owners expect with their new car purchase. The Niro PHEV also comes with Kia's industry leading 10 year/100,000 mile warranty including the plug in battery. The 2018 Niro Plug In is not as abundantly available as the Niro Hybrid on dealer lots so don't expect the discounts to be as deep, but many Plug In buyers like myself will benefit from the $4,543 tax credit when filing our federal income taxes for 2018. We have only driven a little more than 300 miles but so far the Niro has been flawless. We took it to Costco recently and filled three coolers and still had plenty of room for other purchases with the rear seats folded down. I'm really enjoying this new car and it's especially satisfying these days driving past the gas station in town.

Love this little hatch... er... SUV

Jim_NJ, 11/16/2018
LX 4dr SUV (1.6L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6AM)

This is a great little hatchback... or if you prefer, small SUV. I love the practicality small hatches/wagons so I don't see a problem with calling it a hatchback or wagon, which is what it truly is (the cars in my life have included an Opel wagon, Civic wagon, Corolla wagon, Mercury Tracer wagon, Pontiac Vibe, Chevy Volt, Kia Soul). I have an absolutely base LX (except for the floor mats - LOL), and am super-impressed with the standard features, which include Adaptive Cruise Control, Autonomous Emergency Braking and Lane Keeping Assist. I think the LX is a real bargain, considering the $4500 tax credit. And buying at the end of the 2018 model year, I was able to get $2500 off the sticker. I am averaging 110 mpg because a lot of my driving is local. I also regularly drive 90 miles, and get over 70 mpg on that trip (combined gas/electric). I also tested a non-plug-in version and can tell that the plug-in definitely is quicker, especially accelerating in the 10-50 mph range. However, Niro plug-ins may be hard to find, since not all dealers carry them. I purchased my Kia Niro PHEV while on vacation on Cape Cod, even though there's a high-volume Kia dealer not far from me in New Jersey. My local New Jersey dealer is not going to carry the Plug-In version of the Niro.