2018 Kia Niro Plug-In Hybrid SUV Consumer Reviews - 8 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2018 Kia Niro Plug-In Hybrid SUV Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Niro Plug-In Hybrid model:

3000 Review
By Robert MacLaughlin

2018 Kia Niro Plug-In Hybrid SUV EX Premium 4dr SUV (1.6L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6AM)

Pretending this is an SUV is the worst thing you can do...it is not; not even close...

This is a very comfortable, tech-ladened, economic, environmentally friendly, tall wagon or large hatch-back. Almost the perfect car for California. 25 miles of gas-free electric range every time you unplug and get in. And, a good 55 mpg in hybrid mode. And...you can select ‘sport’ mode where you will have exclusive internal combustion-only propulsion and spirited performance. And...a real auto transmission! 6 speeds! Not a moaning Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT).

However...you may NOT have a sun-roof...ever. And, you may NOT have an electro chromatic (self dimming) rear view mirror...ever. And...you may NOT have a garage door opener (home link) incorporated into your car like EVERY. OTHER. CAR! But, you may have ventilated seats, navigation, car-play, and wireless charging.

Handling is clumsy at best. Road noise is substantial. But for freedom from gas stations, the trade-offs are acceptable. It’s quite utilitarian, you can stuff a lot of stuff or a few people into it easily AND comfortable, cues up my music seamlessly, voice commands are easy.

We had two returns to the dealer upon buying the car for a mysterious check engine light. That was 3000 miles ago. The headlights are adjusted too high and oncoming traffic gets irritated by that. Everything else seems OK.

Love this little hatch... er... SUV
By Jim_NJ

2018 Kia Niro Plug-In Hybrid SUV LX 4dr SUV (1.6L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6AM)

This is a great little hatchback... or if you prefer, small SUV. I love the practicality small hatches/wagons so I don't see a problem with calling it a hatchback or wagon, which is what it truly is (the cars in my life have included an Opel wagon, Civic wagon, Corolla wagon, Mercury Tracer wagon, Pontiac Vibe, Chevy Volt, Kia Soul). I have an absolutely base LX (except for the floor mats - LOL), and am super-impressed with the standard features, which include Adaptive Cruise Control, Autonomous Emergency Braking and Lane Keeping Assist. I think the LX is a real bargain, considering the $4500 tax credit. And buying at the end of the 2018 model year, I was able to get $2500 off the sticker. I am averaging 110 mpg because a lot of my driving is local. I also regularly drive 90 miles, and get over 70 mpg on that trip (combined gas/electric). I also tested a non-plug-in version and can tell that the plug-in definitely is quicker, especially accelerating in the 10-50 mph range. However, Niro plug-ins may be hard to find, since not all dealers carry them. I purchased my Kia Niro PHEV while on vacation on Cape Cod, even though there's a high-volume Kia dealer not far from me in New Jersey. My local New Jersey dealer is not going to carry the Plug-In version of the Niro.

Great car for San Diego; Flawed Heating System
By Lazyj

2018 Kia Niro Plug-In Hybrid SUV LX 4dr SUV (1.6L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6AM)

We live in Olympia, Washington. This is a great car for our needs. It's a small city, so 26 miles electric is plenty for our in-town driving. We just passed 3,000 miles, and have used 24 gallons of gasoline. We really like the ease of entry and exit. Upright seats, high enough off the ground so you don't crawl out of it like a Prius, and doors that open super wide. There is one clear bit of lazy engineering: the heating system only works when the engine is running. The Prius Prime (the heads up competitor) has a heat pump system, that runs using electricity. The Niro does not, even though an air conditioner is essentially the same device as a heat pump running in reverse. In Olympia, where we have cool weather and dampness, we do need to run the heat all winter. That forces on the engine (but the car still is propelled as an electric; this big four-cylinder 1600cc engine running just to provide heat and defrost. This is why I say it's a great car for Phoenix or San Diego, where you don't need heat much of the time. Around here, the Prius Prime is probably a better value if it meets your needs. It does not meet our needs. I am a big 300# fella. This car fits me reasonably well. The Prius does not.

Cool Fun car Unbelievable Gas mileage..
By Jeff Courtney

2018 Kia Niro Plug-In Hybrid SUV LX 4dr SUV (1.6L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6AM)

If you want a Plug-in, it a good choice

Excellent Car! Plug-in Hybrid
By JM

2018 Kia Niro Plug-In Hybrid SUV EX 4dr SUV (1.6L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6AM)

Excellent car, and value. Most importantly for us is that it seats 5 "real size" people: Even with front seats moved all the way back, there is sufficient leg room and headroom for adults in back. We are able to fit two adults and a car seat across the back seat. "CarPlay" will present phone navigation on the car's screen, even without buying the navigation option.