Used 2019 Jeep Compass SUV Consumer Reviews

List Price Range

Used Compass for Sale
Select your model:

Pros
Cons
5 out of 5 stars

Daughter/baby totaled it, walked away, amazing!!!

CR , 07/30/2019
Sport 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

Going 55 into a car full of teens who slammed on brakes suddenly so they didn’t miss their turn. No warning. Just a dead on almost full speed hit. My daughter and her 2 month old walked away without being injured. The Jeep didn’t crumple up into the driver, and the airbags deployed as they should, the hood and bumper is in smithereens. Thank you thank you Jeep! It’s a total loss on the Jeep but because of you we didn’t lose our children!

Nice Styling

Wes Ferrell, 04/26/2019
Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 9A)

This is my first Jeep since 2008. I had been owning or leasing Fords since 2012 and liked every one. But my lease was up on my 16 Fusion and there were no good lease deals at Ford. So I was shopping for a Cherokee but the Compass had a sweet deal so I took it. For the most part I really like it. I really liked the styling. The front seats are kind of hard but I prefer them that way. The interior craftsmanship was top notch , as was the body fit and finish. The car is also fun to drive. OK so here are the negatives. Tilt and telescoping steering wheel has very limited adjustments. The start / stop feature is annoying and needs to be turned off ( if desired )every time you start the engine. On is it's default. The radio must be on for the touchscreen to be on. You have mute the radio or turn the volume to 0 if you don't want the radio and want to use the touchscreen. My Escape's radio is independent of the touchscreen. Reliability is a concern. The vehicle's push button start failed 4 times the first 2 weeks I had it. Looked up online and it's a common problem. Dealer fixed it with a software update from a technical service bulletin. No problems since then. Time will tell. Overall I like the car but due to the above issues I had to down rate it.

5 out of 5 stars

Classy and functional...rugged good looks ..

Lewis lokitz, 03/13/2019
Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 9A)

9/17/21–unfortunately because of covid we are not driving either of our Jeep’s as much as we’d like. The Compass continues to feel new. We enjoy the good looks of the suv and that we don’t see one in every driveway. The white/gray interior looks new. Easy to keep that way. Continue to feel that the ending is a bit noisy and the Compass could use more sound deadening and front seat storage. (U believe jeep has addressed those issues in the new models. We have only 8500 miles on it. If my wife continues to enjoy it, we’ll probably buy it at end of lease. Our compass just had its 2 year birthday. We brought it in to check for a entertainment system upgrade at no cost. We had it inspected and the oil changed at 8k miles. Because of covid we hardly drive either of our Jeep’s. I also changed the cabin air filter. It’s complicated but straight forward. Carol really likes the Compass. She actually turns around to look at it when. she parks. It still looks like new. There are no signs of wear. We have our Compass 18 months now. We hhaven’t had a second of trouble with it. It continues to be enjoyable to drive. It’s my day. wife’s car And she is thrilled with it, but I drive it often. I have 3 concerns..The steering is too sensitive, the brakes are too sensitive and there is too little storage in the front seat area. The first 2 are manageable by getting used to the characteristics. The storage issue was managed by replacing the grab bar above the drivers head with an eyeglass holder and adding a “shelf” to the console inside the compartment. My sister in law got hers the same day we did and she too loves it. A long term friend in NJ just bought his 2 weeks ago. He’s enjoying it. We now have the compass a year with a little over 6k miles. We continue to love the looks...especially my wife... it’s her vehicle. The tech is amazing. We’ve had it on a couple of long trips and it performed wonderfully. No rattles or squeaks. Still don’t understand the negative journalist comments regarding the trans. The 9 speed always finds the right gear, shifts smoothly, and works great with the engine. No question Id recommend the compass and buy it again. The two negatives are the engine noise getting up to speed and the front seats are too firm. I’m spite of the glacier grey interior color, it’s been easy to keep clean. I’m going to replace the cabin filter after the pollen season next month. Jeep made it much more complicated then our 2015/2020 Cherokee. Not much to add since I wrote the comments below. Continue to thoroughly enjoy our compass. At this point the only negative is the engine is a bit noisy. I am comparing it the my 2015 Cherokee v6. The auto on/off should be on the dash instead on the console. In all other respects the Compass is great. Love the dual color interior and exterior. The ride is quiet and smooth. Re:mpg .. on 2 recent long trips I recd 29 mpg. I had been researching cars for quite awhile for my wife. Her lease was coming due. Looked at the Q3 and cx5. Couldn’t understand why the lease payment was almost double but the msrp was only a few thousand $$$ more. The math didn’t work. I looked at the updated version of our current car, Tucson, but we wanted a change after leasing 3 (9years). We looked at the encore, equinox and escape. I ruled out any cuv with a cvt. The Compass quickly rose to the top. I’m partial to jeeps as I currently own a Cherokee and owned a 2003 liberty for almost 10 years. We chose a white/black limited with a light/dark grey interior with every safety feature. We have it only 5 days but quickly bonded with it. When I mentioned the deal we recd to my brother-in-law he switched from the rogue ( they leased rogues for 12 years) to the compass for his wife. He hates the cvt too. My wife and her sister love the compass. Quiet, comfortable, easy to drive, well put together with nice materials, and smooth. Perhaps a negative is the lack of cabin storage, but there’re after market products that address this. Surprising that the home link feature isn’t offered. I definitely turn around to look at the compass as I walk away. A good decision???? Time will tell but we r off to a good start.

I absolutely love my Jeep Compass

Michelle S., 06/29/2019
Latitude 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

It's a perfect fit for me!!!! A smaller smooth riding SUV that's high enough off the ground, with 4x4, simple buttons to figure out and a nice sounding stereo (after adjusting the equalizer). I happen to love the off-white color, just like a vintage shabby-chic ceramic. 😉

So far so good!

Jasmine, 08/12/2020
Altitude 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 9A)

The Compass is a comfortable car on the highway, it has sufficient cargo space, and it delivers excellent fuel economy considering its size (34MPG summer/30MPG winter). It has endured conditions as warm as 97F and as cold as -35F with no problems. The a/c keeps me cool in the summer and it starts every time even on the coldest mornings. Update. Now at 48,000 miles. So far no problem. I had a 2018 Compass that consumed oil (then got totaled). My 2019 was a replacement for the 2018 and doesn't use any oil at all. After wrecking the 2018 Compass I can say it is safe. Wife and I walked away with no more than a few bruises from the airbags deploying. I do a lot of driving in northern New England and the Compass is competent in snow but I strongly suggest getting genuine snow tires. The OEM tires are LRR tires and pretty lousy in snow. With snow tires the Compass is quite sure-footed. Two drawbacks: 1) It doesn't come with a spare tire. Any vehicle that might be used off-road ought to have a spare as standard equipment. As it is a person can't even order one -- they take the order and never fulfill it -- perpetually back-ordered. 2) There are no cubby-holes in the front seating area to squirrel away things like pens or pencils, cell phone, whatever. Two drink holders and pockets in the doors -- that's it. Oh, there's one tiny hole by the shift lever that might hold a few paper clips. I bought an aftermarket tray to fit in the console to hold miscellaneous stuff. Too bad Jeep didn't think of that. I bought my 2019 Compass after my 2018 Compass was totaled. I had some misgivings about my 2018 Compass because of it's high oil consumption, but I had a strong relationship with my dealer and risked buying another Compass. So far this one's been a charm. It doesn't use any oil and the drive-train is much quieter than the 2018. Update: Now at 65,000 miles and I'm still happy with it. Only repair was a plastic(!) sway bar bushing that failed and caused a significant rattle. I replaced the plastic(!) bushing with a metal one and I don't expect another problem with it. Overall I'm very happy with it.