Used 2015 Jeep Cherokee SUV Consumer Reviews

Used Cherokee for Sale
Select your model:
12345...35

Pros
Cons
2 out of 5 stars

Do your research

Britni, 01/29/2016
Sport 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 9A)

In April 2015 we purchased a 2015 Jeep Cherokee, brand new! They literally unwrapped it in front of us. We were so excited for a little luxury upgrade! This car was just gorgeous inside and out! This is our 3rd Jeep, in the last 5 years. Soon after the purchase we began having issues. When we would call into the dealership to bring up our concerns regarding the violent shifting of the transmission we were told it was “normal” on EVERY occasion. So far, in 9 months it has been in for 3 recalls and 2 “software updates”. By September ’15 the transmission issues had gotten so bad we finally got them to agree to “test drive” our vehicle, our numerous attempts prior to this were always met with “well this is normal for this vehicle” and then we were told that the service department was so backed up with transmission repairs that we would have to drop off our vehicle for possibly up to two weeks, before they could look at it and we would NOT be provided a rental since the “check engine light was not on” . After basically demanding that they check this problem out because the car was just months old and has only 6k miles on it they agreed to “check” it on September 18th, they still refused to give us a rental, and we agreed to leave it for the weekend so they could address the problem. They called to notify us that they had “test drove” the car and nothing was wrong with it, my husband requested that he be able to sit in a test drive with the service man the following morning and asked him not to start or drive the car until he got there, when he showed up to do this test drive the service department told him they test drove the car again (even though they were asked not to) and that again, they found “nothing wrong with it” At this point my husband was furious. Not only did they not address the problem, but they also didn’t care to follow the requests of the cars owner. Now it is January 2016, the car is still shifting hard, or not shifting at all, as well as an issue with a recall that was done a few months ago for the car where when you would turn the air/heat on the car would sputter and almost stall, was happening again, even after the supposed “software update” So we once again contact the dealer to address an issue, they again tell us we need to just drop off our vehicle for an unspecified amount of time and they will not provide us with a rental, mind you this is our daily driver. So we then contact Chrysler directly, where they inform us we are eligible for a rental, and they will make sure that we get one, as well as be able to leave our car at the dealership for 5 days and then we will go from there. January 22, 2016 we take drop our vehicle off at the dealership so they can try to tell us what is going on with the transmission, again we are told that this is “normal” they tell us that it is a “Fiat Transmission, and that it shifts gears differently” miraculously this time the service department drives the car and says they do feel the issues we are bringing up, and that is was a “software update” to fix the problem. Well… I have already had a software update, that FAILED! Following I will list the issues; First the vehicle shifts roughly into every gear, causing my vehicle to jolt forward, second, when at a complete stop and then beginning to accelerate the vehicle has a delay, the engine revs and it finally jerks forward to go. Most the time the vehicle reaches 5-6k RPMs before it ever shifts gears. Third, when you start the car and turn on the air/heat the car drops below 1k RPMs, shakes and almost stalls. NONE of this is “normal” as the dealership states, this is especially NOT “normal” for a brand new car with significantly low mileage. The transmission should have ZERO problems. When I received my vehicle back from the dealership this last time, I got onto the freeway to drive home and it wasn’t until the vehicle reached 6k RPMs that it finally shifted into a gear. This is 100% unsafe, like I stated earlier in my letter, this is our daily driver, it is the vehicle that I buckle my two young children into EVERY SINGLE DAY, I count on this vehicle to get me to and from my destination in the safest manner available. Because of the jerking from the shifting of the transmission it can easily result in an accident. There have been times where I have almost hit the person in front of me because of the jolt forward coming out of a complete stop, as well as almost being hit from behind because my vehicle does not accelerate properly. This is not something I want to wait around for, this is something I am not willing to deal with until another “software update” is available, or until the manufacturer finally recalls this vehicle (which will happen) because it is a clear safety issue, causing my family to potentially be injured or worse. I do not feel safe in this vehicle, nor do I feel comfortable putting my children in it. Two visits to the dealership to repair this problem is far too many for a car

5 out of 5 stars
5 out of 5 stars

1 out of 5 stars

lemon law buy back finally DONE

Christopher Verbeck, 01/07/2016
Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 9A)

I purchased my 2015 cherokee in April and by may the wobble was so bad and the shifting so dramatic that I went into a ditch. Over the next 2 months new transmission and new axel on front driver and passenger sides. 3 software updates for the transmission and still shifting horrible. Looked up lemon law rules for my state and followed them. No attorney and 6 months later they bought it back. They have no choice but to if they haven't fixed it after 4 tries. Send certified letter to corporate giving them one more try to fix it and if they don't BUY BACK TIME. Call your state's consumer protection department and they will help get you on track. They paid retail price of the vehicle plus registration, tax,doc fee,warranty fees, gap that didn't get refunded to me as well as any accessories I put on the jeep. I also got ALL the interest in paid above everything else which if you figure half your payments go toward interest at the start of the loan so was nice. Stand up for yourself and don't except a lemon. For the record I bought a nissan murano and damn impressed. Of course I still have my wrangler. ..JEEP gets in the blood.

2.5 out of 5 stars

DO NOT BUY THIS UNTIL TRANSMISSION PROBLEMS RESOLVED BY CHRYSLER

jrsice, 05/22/2015
Latitude 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 9A)

I have had my jeep into the dealership for transmission issues 4 times. The dealer couldn't fix the transmission so they replaced it. The new transmission is not much better and Jeep is unwilling to rectify the situation. I am now forced to file a case with NCDS in an attempt to resolve this matter. Looking at lemon law with a lawyer. The vehicle has less than 3,000 miles on it. This is the worst vehicle I have ever owned in 30+ years.

1.75 out of 5 stars

Have this car checked Immediately

mluns, 05/27/2015
Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 9A)

Bought a 2015 Jeep Cherokee Limited in January 2015 in May we drove to Washington DC for a move. While driving the check engine light came on and then wouldn’t go over 35. Imagine driving 35 in DC traffic keeping an eye on the RPMS which was up to 4 RPMs and making sure it did not get hot. Before we started our trip I took it in to take care of the recall on transmission/ air bags. The Dealership in DC told us we needed a new transmission. We picked it up two days later and while driving home in DC traffic I took a left hand turn and the vehicle automatically turned right. It took all my strength and my husband to get the car to a safe place. Power steering connection wire came loose.

Fleet Technician's take on the 2014-2016 Cherokee

James, 02/07/2016
Latitude 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 9A)

I work for a national car rental fleet, so I am well educated on the problems facing new cars, in fact, all of the major auto manufacturers depend on us to determine recalls. STAY FAR AWAY from any of the new Chrysler/Fiat models. In regards to this model, the Cherokee, I am sure you have read many reviews on the transmission problems, and the difficulty in dealing with the dealership and service people. This vehicle is a complete disaster. We have to deal with them on a daily basis, everything from the transmission to electrical problems. One of the worst lately is the thermostat fails around 30K. The problem is so bad we have mothballed our 2015 models because the replacement thermostat "unit", which is a non-removable thermostat housed in a multi-port junction, is unavailable for MONTHS because they are out of them.... it is a nationwide shortage. These things are dropping like flies. If yours goes out after warranty, prepare to pay at least 2 hours labor (HARD to get to) and $200 for the part. This is the worst vehicle I have ever dealt with, so if you heed the advice of someone who has worked on hundreds, STAY AWAY.

12345...35