Used 2017 Hyundai Tucson SUV Consumer Reviews

Used Tucson for Sale
Select your model:
12345...8

Pros
Cons

Favorite SUV

Melanie, 11/09/2016
Limited 4dr SUV AWD (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 7AM)

I test drove the Rav4, CX-5, Escape, and Santa Fe before deciding finally on the Tucson. My previous vehicle was a VW GTI, so it was important to me to get something that still looked and felt sporty while driving it and this Tucson qualifies for all of that. While I felt the CX-5 handled slightly better around curves, the Tucson gave a smooth and quiet ride. The acceleration is there when I need it, without the bumps of a sporty suspension. Unfortunately, in Hyundai, in order to get a sunroof one must purchase the highest model (Limited-Ultimate) that also comes with navigation and leather seats (with rear passenger heated seats)! Also, the cargo cover and all weather mats do not come standard and can carry a hefty price tag. For me, the bonuses that came with the panoramic sunroof were worth the extra price! I will say I have noticed that this 7-speed transmission can take some getting used to. Much like my GTI DSG transmission, even though it's an automatic, it FEELS like a manual at times. On inclines, and some coasting to acceleration scenarios the transmission has lagged to shift into the correct gear. I'm currently researching this to see if there is something wrong or just something to get used to. Update: There were some software updates Hyundai provided regarding the transmission and that did improve things dramatically. While I feel like the acceleration is better than most of the SUV/Crossovers I test drove, it still doesn't "GO!" like I was used to with my GTI, which is just an unrealistic expectation for this type of vehicle & price point. For example, If I don't continue accelerating through a 4 leaf clover on-ramp to get on the interstate (and coast through the curve instead), it takes a long time to get up to speed, even if the "pedal is to the metal." I think I only notice this because I came from the GTI which was VERY responsive. Now that the weather is cooler, my rear seat passengers love their rear seat heaters, and everyone seems to have plenty of leg room. I love the extra space I get when I fold the seats down, too.

Tons of Research: Quality and Value at its Best

John Manzo, 02/08/2018
SE 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I have now had the vehicle for 8 months. I continue to like the car a great deal. Since that time we've had a long trip with three of us in the car. The car was comfortable for the entire trip of 10 hours each way. Actually, there were three people and a dog and everyone was comfortable the entire time. No complaints---even from the dog. This is a very comfortable ride, both in the front seat and the back seat. Gas mileage on the trip was close to 30 which was really good. Around town it's between 21-22 and that's not all that great, but it is what it is. Since I do mostly town driving this is my standard expectation. I don't have a problem with the transmission; it is a bit on the funky side. In part, I believe, it's because the new cars all seem to be 6-7 gears instead of the old 3-4 gears. The transition with the transmission is not difficult; it just takes a little time to grow accustomed to it. I have the 2.0 engine and for the most part it's fine. When challenged a bit, it is a little underpowered. Rapid acceleration is not a strength of this car at all. At times the acceleration is very sluggish. And when I put 5 people in the car, while the car ran well and did everything it was supposed to do, you can feel the strain on the engine. This isn't a big deal for me; it's usually just me or my wife and I. So, am I happy with the car? I'm delighted. I continue to be happy with my purchase. I read copious reviews of this size of SUV and watched a large number of road tests on YouTube. We own a Subaru Forester which my wife drives and is a good car; I don't find it to be particularly comfortable, but she does. So, using that as a barometer as well as test driving the Honda CRV and the Toyota RAV 4 and the Tuscon, I chose the Tuscon. It was easily the best price and I liked the car better. I didn't like the Honda very much at all. I'm sure it's a wonderful vehicle but I didn't find it to be comfortable and the price point was not what I wanted. I liked the Toyota; solid car but again, the price point was not what I was seeking. Both the Toyota and the Honda weren't as nicely equipped for the price as was the Tucson. I read the reviews and there were some criticisms of the acceleration on the 2.0 engine. My experience is that the acceleration is just fine. When I want to go, it goes and it accelerates quite nicely. The interior is comfortable and incredibly quiet. The Bluetooth works great and the sound quality is very good. I appreciate the layout of the controls; they are logical and easy to use. I've had the Tucson for a month and really like it a great deal.

Overall Good Car

Evan B., 06/09/2017
Eco 4dr SUV AWD (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 7AM)

I bought this car knowing nothing about Hyundai. To me, the styling looks like many other car is the same category. The car, in my opinion, is a great deal for what you get. The engine is also spectacular. The transmission is clunky and almost feels like it's slipping. However, give it more gas and everything sorts itself out. MPG is just ok, and I don't drive it aggressively. Features on mine are pretty sparse, but the ones that are there are very nice. I find the space to be plenty, and well designed. The view out the back has a pretty big blind spot and backing up can be difficult, especially on a busy road, but the rear view camera helps.

We Love Our Tucson Sport

TSALE/CHICAGO, 08/01/2017
Sport 4dr SUV (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 7AM)

We bought a 2017 Tucson Sport for our retirement. We recently drove it from Chicago to Florida and back, racking up approximately 4K miles over two months. Our Tucson performed flawlessly. It ran all day at 70+ MPH while staying steady and quiet. The turbo produces plenty of power for climbing hills, merging, and passing at highway speeds. While it's not a sports car it handled the twists and turns quite capably. The automatic lift gate is a wonderful convenience. And the blind spot monitoring is a lifesaver, especially in Chicago traffic. Overall we would enthusiastically recommend the Tucson Sport to anyone considering a compact SUV.

New owner - one week review

blues9366@gmail.com, 04/03/2017
SE 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

First off, this is a STRIPPER model. No frills, base model with very few options. BUT.... what all do you need? Power windows and locks? check. Cruise? check. AC? check. Audio system? check. What else do you really need? I'm 50 and can remember when all the above was OPTIONAL stuff. Coming from different vehicles, I can say this vehicle works. It isn't super fast. It's a Crossover. Do I really need to sub 6 second 0 - 60 times? No. The audio is simple to use. It even has a TUNING knob. Does it have nav? Nope. but that's a hassle anymore if you have a smart phone. Google Maps is always updated. The Tucson is showing 27 mpg after the first week. Pretty good I think. Not the best, not the worst. And we live in hilly area at base of mountains, so 27 is pretty good in mixed driving. I do miss the power seats of my previous vehicles. Especially as my wife & I change drivers. The seat is not the most comfortable, but hoping as it wears in, will be less aggravation. It's good looking, practical transportation. No more, no less.

Replaced Trent @ 5000 mi

Shawn, 06/15/2017
Sport 4dr SUV AWD (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 7AM)

2016 Tucson had 41,000 recalls due to transmission issues. It was a software fix. I took my 2017 sport in to dealer a few times (dealer very helpful) for slow or no acceleration & rattling sound in engine. They determined new transmission was needed (@5,500 mi). I have a loner provided by dealer. I hope the new trany solves issues? I like my car, very pleased in general. Fingers crossed. 1 year later: I really like the tucson sport. But I am still having on going issues such as: unreliable acceleration, engine makes a WHIRRING sound. I have 11,000 miles now and would not drive a long distance, as I feel car is unreliable.

Love my Tuscon

mary, 02/06/2018
Sport 4dr SUV (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 7AM)

I have really enjoyed driving my Tucson. Everything's working well and no further issues since it required a new engine (covered under warranty) a few months old. Later a small problem with the turbo; only a loose connection. Gave me a scare, tho, because the vehicle had very little power and i had to floor it to get it to accelerate. No more issues (knock on wood).

I want to love my new Tucson, but...

Dave Jensen, 05/28/2018
Value 4dr SUV (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 7AM)

I bought my first Hyundai in 2002. It was the first generation Santa Fe and I loved it. As the first of five Hyundai’s since then, it made me a believer in the Hyundai brand. I have owned all three models of the Santa Fe Sport and two of the three models of Tucson. In October of 2017 I leased a 2017 Tucson value package edition. It seemed to be the perfect combination of features, having everything I needed and nothing I didn’t. I gave up leather (nice but not necessary) and navigation (it’s free on my phone) in exchange for a panoramic roof and a power lift gate. It also has cross-traffic detection, blind-spot detection, and dual climate control. (More about that later.) The ride quality of the Tucson is firm but compliant. It handles all but the most serious of bumps with finesse, and the steering is quick and responsive. As for road noise, it could be quieter. Doors seal tightly with a nice, firm shunk. Upholstery is high-quality fabric with even stitching and stain-resistant properties, but that’s where it ends. The very basic dashboard design is plain and uninspired. There are no wood grain or carbon fiber accents here, no fabric on the doors, and far too many hard surfaces overall. If you’re looking for luxurious appointments, look elsewhere. Despite its deficiencies in the luxury arena, the new Tucson outshines its overly-ubiquitous competitors with a handsome exterior. The Tucson’s panoramic roof provides a brightly lit cabin, although I would be content with a standard panel sunroof over the front seat, especially since the panoramic roof is going to rain down a large quantity of glass fragments on all occupants in the event of a crash. It also makes interesting pinging noises, especially in cold weather. The fresh air return is an enigma. A sensor in the climate control system decides when air in the cabin becomes “stale” and automatically brings in outside air. You may be driving through a forest fire, but once it’s in fresh air mode, the system will not return to recirculate mode on its own. The frustrating part is that you can’t always manually return to recirculate mode until the system says it’s okay. This may involve rolling down a window and letting even more bad air into the car. It’s bad enough to have to press recirculate every few minutes, but it’s a real pain when the car won’t let you. Is there a fix for this thing? All my previous Hyundai’s remained in accessory mode after shutting off the engine, allowing the driver to listen to music or complete a phone call without the engine running. But when you shut off the Tucson’s engine, everything shuts off, forcing the driver to idle the car in order to finish a Bluetooth call or hear the end of a song. Why? To the best of my knowledge, no other Hyundai models do this. And now for the biggie: The Dual Clutch Transmission (DCT). What can I say? This is essentially a manual transmission due to its lack of a torque converter, but instead of being manually shifted by the driver, gearing is decided by the computer. This works fine in most situations, but depending on conditions and terrain, shifting can be jerky and unpredictable. Even my salesman tried to warn me against the DTC and I should have listened. Overall, it isn’t as bad as some reviewers make it sound, but it does take some getting used to. Don't get me wrong; the car runs great. It's peppy, corners well, and is fun to drive. The issues I’ve had with my Tucson are mostly cosmetic, but are certainly not acceptable in a new vehicle. They pertain mostly to fit and finish problems and a lack of attention to detail. Misaligned body panels, broken clips in the headliner, a gap in the dashboard, and unusual noises emanating from the back end were annoying to say the least. Most of them have been addressed after repeated trips to the dealer, but it's disappointing just the same. Perhaps I got the last Tucson built on a Friday at closing time. Regardless, I wanted to love this vehicle, but I only like it, and I'll consider other brands when my lease expires.

Top of the Line Model... already issues!!

Dave, 08/29/2017
Limited 4dr SUV AWD (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 7AM)

The car hit a lot of things on my list for what I wanted and best of all, it was at an affordable price. I have a fully loaded brand new Tucson Limited and I really like the way it looked and interior felt. It has a heavy safe feeling as well for a company that used to make cars that felt light and slightly aluminum can-ish. PROBLEM 1: The transmission on this thing is terrible. It feels like a high school kid trying to learn manual for the first time throwing the car into gear and revving the engine at 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear. This problem happens mostly on the upshift, but does happen on occasion on the downshift. Hyundai said its because of a dual clutch... either way... its brutal and who knows what other problems with the drivetrain this will cause over time. PROBLEM 2: The audio in the whole vehicle goes mute as if its plugged in headphone mode or something. I literally have to turn off the car at a red light to let it reset so I can get the audio come back on. Pretty annoying and super inconvenient. PROBLEM 3: My iPhone pairs great and does apple CarPlay perfectly.... but... after 2 minutes of talking on a call the other person gets a crazy bad echo. So bad in fact that I can't take business related calls in the car and most times than not I have to call the person back because they can't think and talk over the echo. I would love to say save your money on any other vehicle in this class because it has it all, but I unfortunately can't. Do your due diligence and make sure the model you get hits the things consistently on your list, because we are regretting our purchase even though we love many things about the vehicle.

My new ride

andy, 11/11/2016
Sport 4dr SUV AWD (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 7AM)

Look for a car to replace my 2001 Mazda Tribute. The Hyundai Tucson Sport does the job. While I have only had it for 2 weeks I am enjoying it. The seating is comfortable even for my 6' 2" frame. Visibility is good and the ride is great. Just filled it up and got 24 mpg driving in town. I love the kick it has with the Turbo engine. Rear seating is comfortable and the cargo space meets my needs. The instrument panel and displays are well layed out and very easy to use. The only down side is it hesitates at times when turning at an intersection after coming to a stop. I can't quite understand it but if it continues I'll take it to the dealership. If you want a small SUV I recommend this one.

12345...8