Used 2004 Honda CR-V SUV Consumer Reviews - 410 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Honda CR-V SUV

View reviews for a specific CR-V model:

Great value
By Rich

2004 Honda CR-V SUV LX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Cavernous interior for such a small car, with good cargo space and a generous back seat, though taller drivers will want more leg room. Child/booster seats easy to install. Excellent handling: responsive engine, tight turning radius, great visibility and good feedback. Parking in tight spots is easy. AWD saved me on snowy days. MPG is mid 20's. Controls are simple and easy to use in the otherwise spartan interior. Great safety ratings, feels solidly built and proven very reliable after five years.

Handling and responsiveness; great utility for a relatively small vehicle; AWD. Yakima bars securely fit in the integrated mounts.

Reduce road noise! Indicator light when AWD is activated (just so drivers get a power rush). Side-swing cargo door is a bit annoying, but the back window opens for quick and easy access. Add some towing capacity.

How Could This Be?
By Eric Chung

2004 Honda CR-V SUV EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my CRV brand new and have always driven it very gently. From day 1, I noticed there is significant wind noise and road noise. I didn't think much of it at first, but then other mysterious noises began to show. I can't get the dealer to figure out where a rattling sound is coming from whenever I drive on rough surfaces. Then there is this high pitch whining noise that is very noticeable when the car is going 40-55mph. They say it's a normal sound from the transmission. I don't believe it because it wasn't there for the first 4 years. And now the car averages 16 mpg. I know there are just annoying problems but they really reduce my enjoyment of driving this Honda.

The shape, versatility, front seats, and the solid feel.

Gas mileage, mysterious noises.

Into the Shop Every 2 Months...
By JasonK

2004 Honda CR-V SUV EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Overall, my Honda has never died on me. I am a very spirited driver, but there are no excuses for some of the constant repairs being done to my car. I needed a new front axle at 60,000 (living in the NYC metro area, we have those big pot-holes), I have blown about 5 or 6 engine mounts, needed a new transmission at 80,000 miles, needed to replace throttle plate at 15,000 miles, the list goes on, and on. Thank god I used common sense, and bought the extended warranty. It's just a shame the terrible customer service at my local dealer turned me off to Honda, and therefore will probably never buy another Honda again. Was a great car until around the 50,000 mile mark. Then it's all down hill.

6 CD Changer, One of the last cars to be made with a cassette tape deck, AWD (survived 3 Buffalo winters)

Customer Service, Engine Power, Acceleration smoothness, cheap plastic components on interior, should have updated to more modern amenities for its time, no variable intermittent wipers..

Air compressor
By rtbtexas

2004 Honda CR-V SUV LX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

My air compressor blew up last year at about 50,000 miles, They replaced the parts for free it cost me about $400 for labor to fix. This year the ac is still not working as well as it did new. I have problems with the cloth falling off the rear door panels. The shifter blocks the a/c for the driver. Poor design. Other than that a good car. I am looking for a car with a better AC.

cargo space, ride, MPG

Move the shifter, better A/C.

My last Honda
By Denny

2004 Honda CR-V SUV EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Great reliable car for about 4 years. It did pretty well in deep snow, had lots of room for hauling just about anything. My A/C exploded at less than 58,000 miles. Honda told me to basically drop dead. There should be a recall on this A/C problem. Honda no longer cares about their customers.

Initial reliability. Nice stereo. Plenty of cargo room. Do it all vehicle.

Don't bother. We are done.