Used 2008 Honda Civic Coupe Consumer Reviews - 140 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Honda Civic Coupe Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Great Car
By Alyn Stanton

2008 Honda Civic Coupe LX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Great gas mileage, performance and reliability.

Gone Baby Gone (2008)
By Gero

2008 Honda Civic Coupe EX-L 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

Edmunds private sale stats are bunk.

Runs great but very disappointed in MPG
By CR

2008 Honda Civic Coupe EX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

Traded in a '13 Ford Focus with lots of transmission issues and several recalls. Happy with this '08 Honda with low miles and $100 lower per month car payment. Only getting 26 mpg which sounds good to many but I expected at least 30 with this small Civic. The Focus got 28-29 around town. 😕😕

Great when new - long term not so great
By Paul Anderson

2008 Honda Civic Coupe EX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

When I bought my 2008 Civic Coupe new, it was a great car for its class. It got great mileage, drove well, and for a compact car, had what I was after - bare bones, simple transportation with good mileage. Since I only drive 20 miles round trip to work everyday, I don't put a ton of miles on my cars, and I take great care of them, washing them frequently, doing regular maintenance as scheduled, not allowing my kids to eat in the car, and generally trying to keep them spotless. Unfortunately, it didn't take long for my initial feelings about my carbegin to change. At less than 20,000 miles, I went to pull the driver side sun visor down one day, and it fell apart in my hands. A few months later, a recall was issued on the sun visors, and it was fixed with no charge. Then at 24,000 miles, the alternator went out and had to be replaced. Again, a warranty-covered repair, but still ... for a car with the reputation of Honda's quality behind it, this was a bit disappointing. After those two items, things seemed to be going well for a while. Then at about the 5 year mark in 2013, I started noticing some slight fading of the dark blue paint. This one REALLY disappointed me. As a person who buys cars and holds onto them for 7-10 years and 100,000 miles plus, I try to ensure that I buy cars with high long-term reliability ratings, and I had done a lot of research on Honda before buying this car, and all the indications were that Honda made extremely high-quality, dependable vehicles. By the time I got rid of this car in 2016, at 8 years old, the paint was completely faded on the top and sides, the interior was starting to come apart, the front end was groaning and making all sorts of noises (suspected engine mount wear). I ended up donating the car to charity for a tax write off. Overall, I was very disappointed with the workmanship of this vehicle, as it just didn't live up to my expectations based on everything I had read and been told about Hondas. I went back to Toyota products, and this will be my only Honda purchase. I had owned Toyotas exclusively since about 1992, and never had these types of issues with any Toyota products, ranging from Camrys to Highlanders to 4Runners. When I went to replace this vehicle, I went back to the Toyota family and bought a Lexus - hoping to continue the better reliability and quality I've had with Toyota products for the past 25 years.

Long-term review based on 9 years of ownership
By stlpilot

2008 Honda Civic Coupe EX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

We purchased our 2008 Civic EX brand new about 9 years ago. We are big fans of Honda cars and would like to pass along our ownership experience to the rest of you concerning this car. Unfortunately, owning this car hasn't been without headaches. We experienced the same re-occurring maintenance issues mentioned in most of the other reviews. The big ones were pain issue and engine mounts. Our car is black, and my understanding the 2008 and the 2009 Civics and Accords had many paint issues. Our Civic was repainted three times (three different sections), due to paint defect. All this was covered by Honda, but only after many hours on the phone with Honda. This was a major headache and it Honda did not cover the costs, this would have been very expensive to us. The second big issue is the faulty engine mounts. We replaced our engine mounts about 12,000 miles ago and the problem seems to be coming back. If you are considering on purchasing this car, please keep in mind the costs associated with replacing the engine mounts. Regarding everyday driving, this car is perfect for your short distance drives to the store and back, returning great fuel economy. However, you will regret driving it on long multi-hour drives. It is loud and the seats aren't comofortable. We are in our 30s and very fit, however after a single road trip in the Civic, we will never take it out for another road trip. We will keep this car until it has 180 or 200k miles on it before selling it. This could be a great car for a college kid, but I think you could buy a slightly newer Civic and avoid all the above mentioned problems.