Used 2008 GMC Acadia SUV Consumer Reviews - 255 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 GMC Acadia SUV Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Acadia model:

Electronic, A/C, Transmission Nightmare
By SayNoToGMC

2008 GMC Acadia SUV SLT-1 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I would never recommend buying a 2008 GMC Acadia. It has been a nightmare from the day we bought it used in 2016. The 1st day driving it home we had transmission slippage, traction control light kept coming on and seals started leaking. We returned the vehicle the following day to the Dealership and had them fix the issues. They had our car for 2 weeks and returned it to us claiming everything was fixed. We picked up the vehicle and headed back home and the traction control light came back on again just after leaving the dealership. We turned around and went back to the dealership again! They took the car back and off we went without our car. To make a long story short, the AC Unit kept going on and off intermittently, the traction control light does the same, it is always leaking something. The dealership we bought this Acadia from had our car for a total of 6 months before we actually got the car back permanently and many trips back and forth. The Owner of the Dealership sold the business and supposedly had fixed all the issues that we had complained about from day 1 but only bandaged it to get by. We have not gone more than 2 weeks without some kind of light coming on. We have had the transmission replaced after owning for a year but only driving for 6 months after receiving it back from the dealership and the air bag lights, traction control lights, check engine lights just continuously keep coming on and off. The electronics are so quirky in this car. Now the electronic dashboard cluster comes on and off, the traction control light keeps coming on and off intermittently and tells the transmission to switch to high and low gears immediately when traction control lights come on while driving. Very concerned of our safety!! Especially with my family in the car. We have had diagnoses from the local dealership and other professional shops and no one knows why or what do it's doing. The other day, the traction control light dings on while driving down the frontage road doing 50mph and the car jolts very hard and slows us down like it just went into 1st gear with my kids in the car and keeps shifting up and down quickly. I have to pull over, turn off the vehicle, take out the keys, restart the car until the lights go off and then I amy be lucky to drive it down the road without any concerns or it will last for half the day or more. It has made a definite conclusion that I will never ever buy another GMC again. All the mechanics I have spoke to and dealt with tell me that the GMC Product is one that they see often with a few others they do notrecommend. We are very disappointed in this vehicle and gave the dealership an opportunity to make it right or we were going to take further action. I am a man of my word and was expecting the same with the dealership. I should had giventhe car back and filed the Lemon Law Case but I was too nice to offer the opportunity to have them make it right. In the end, even if I made poor choices on not returning the car, the car still rates as the biggest maintenance and lemon I have ever purchased. There is always something wrong with this car. There are some serious electronic issues or a computer issue, as well as transmission issues that I have also read multiple complaints about, right along side of the AC problems. My defogger didn't work when it rained bad one day and we couldn't see anything and almost caused us to crash just off ththe freeway with our entire family in the car. AC is now totally shot. Blows air but not cold or hot and defogger is useless. The car had 115,000 miles on it when purchased.

Nicest POS I’ve ever owned
By Ashley

2008 GMC Acadia SUV SLT-2 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

This car was great for the first two months. Then I had to get the transmission module replaced. A few months later an AC fan or something of the sorts went out causing my car to just chug and not run right. Then this last year my window controls went out, 10 MPG in town, power steering pump went out, front and rear suspension went out AND my subilitrack/awd went out. Sure did ride nice to begin with and I loved my interior gadgets but it was the biggest money pit ever. So glad to be out of it.

GMC is crap
By Kris

2008 GMC Acadia SUV SLT-1 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

We bought a used 2008 GMC Acadia in January of 2016. It had only 36,000 miles on it. Within the first day of driving it, the steering started squeaking and clicking. Took it back to the dealership and had it fixed even though they tried telling me that nothing was wrong. We've had issues with the headlights being cloudy, the tailgate struts failing, leaking water from air vents, and now a complete transmission failure. There was an extended special warranty on the transmission, but it expired 5/31/18. The warranty said 10 years or 120,000 miles. Our car is on its tenth year and has 81,000 miles on it. The dealership and GM said they wouldn't cover it even though it's a month past expiration. The real issue that we're having is that we received no notifications of any potential problems from GM and no notification from the dealer when we purchased it. After doing research, there are apparently issues with the ignition switch and airbags.

gmc acadia 2008 tranmission problem
By sadem

2008 GMC Acadia SUV SLT-1 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

i bought gmc acadia 2008 .the transmission went back because of a leak ,so had to take it to a mechanic and spent 2000 on it for used transmission and labor ,because new transmission is almost 2300 or more .then problem with fuel pump .the car does not start . then tranmission slipping again .as i noticed this car has transmission problem because of the design inside or something .this car is bad .and i would never buy one again .stay away from it . especially ones with more than 100000 miles .bad car.

PLEASE SAVE YOYRSELF THE MONEY
By w.larena

2008 GMC Acadia SUV SLT-1 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

ALL newer midsize SUVs and CARs that GMC are making have JUNK ENGINES!!!!!!! Its crap and youll never have an inexpensive fix. Headlights are CRAP ! Safety CRAP you have really bad blinds spots how these are made from the slides and REAR ! it made where youll have to use rear assist and that's CRAP. YOUVE BEEN WARNED. ACADIAS, TRAVERSE, EQUINOXS, ETC. JUST STAY AWAY FROM THEIR MIDSIZE CROSSOVER SUVs PERIOD! Especially if youre a single parent and poor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!