Used 2014 Ford Shelby GT500 Coupe Consumer Reviews - 6 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Ford Shelby GT500 Coupe Consumer Reviews

Base 5.8L V8 Supercharger 6-speed Manual - (6 reviews )

High Performance Vehicle Rating
By Chan Davis

2014 Ford Shelby GT500 Coupe 2dr Coupe (5.8L 8cyl S/C 6M)

My ratings are based on the intent of the car; a very high performance coupe. Those wanting cushy rides and, though it does have a great sound system, Nav, plug ins for all your electronics, that is not what this vehicle is made for. So, if you don't understand what a very if not ultra high performance coupe is, don't buy a GT500. You might kill yourself. That said, this car is extremely easy to drive, yet when asked changes modes from docile to 'screamer'. It rides like a performance car even with the suspension set to 'normal'. Obviously more harsh in 'track mode'. Summary: Ford did a great job with this car. I would definitely recommend it to anyone who understands and enjoys very high performance cars.

Sally is incredible
By sallysbuddy

2014 Ford Shelby GT500 Coupe 2dr Coupe (5.8L 8cyl S/C 6M)

Only two weeks old and 500 miles on the clock, but this animal is incredible.
Getting on the freeway from the dealership after I picked it up,I wanted play with it's roadholding, so got on it.....just a little...on a very tight 360 degree entrance ramp.
Hugged the inside edge and looked at the speedo at the merge point of the freeway:

113 MPH and it was hardly breathing!
The G-forces are unbelievable.
People stare at it, give me thumbs up and smile.
I've had performance cars my whole life (including a Jack Roush built Lincoln MK VII with a 5 speed manual tranny and GT40 motor), but none of 'em hold a candle tot his.
I need to re-read the complete owner's at least 3 more times.

Now into her third year, Sally continues to be an incredible performer. I widened the rear wheels to 11" so that I now have Nitto 555 G2 tires, size 315R35/20. A 1/4" spacer is needed to move them outward so the rims don't hit the inner wheel well/suspension parts. Also added were BMR lower rear control arms and Panhard rod to keep the axle in place with those tires. The wheels are the largest that can be put on the GT500.

I've noted that the spacer allows only 4.5 turns of the lug nut tighten. Racing really should have 6 turns. I think I've found a place that will make me 1/4" longer studs so that I can still use the closed end nuts while getting a full 6 turns to tighten the wheel.

Jay Leno says the shifter was very good. He's wrong. On hard acceleration the shift linkage flexes enough to cause gear clash in the first to second shift because of the "remote" shifter design. I'm ordering a MGW billet replacement shifter ($ 405) as others have greatly improved the problem with the change.

This car still makes me smile.

2014 shelby gt500
By jim737

2014 Ford Shelby GT500 Coupe 2dr Coupe (5.8L 8cyl S/C 6M)

I've owned and driven many high po cars. This one is special in many ways. Critics complain of break fade. I've not experienced any even though pushing the car hard. Turn in is excellent mid corner and exit excellent,yes bumps can upset solid axel but it's predictable and controllable. Even irs cars can be upset with bumps. Ford chose gearing it high for a good reason. People always look at 0-60, 1/4 mile, and top end. Ford made first gear tall so they did not have to shift going to 2nd. Saves time get excellent time. Same with 1/4 mile. And 200mph top end with 3:31 gear.
Then there is better gas milage no gas gusler tax all good marketing for ford.a lower gear would be a plus.

2014 GT500 after 3 years
By guidave59

2014 Ford Shelby GT500 Coupe 2dr Coupe (5.8L 8cyl S/C 6M)

No problems with the car. Still a joy to drive, EVERYBODY wants to race........car gets good gas mileage , VERY fast and powerful.

It's nice to get more then you paid for!
By roushguy

2014 Ford Shelby GT500 Coupe 2dr Coupe (5.8L 8cyl S/C 6M)

My last Mustang was a 2010 Roush 427r modified with 500HP and although overall an easier car to drive it certainly can not compare to my 2014 Shelby GT500. Simply put it's an animal under full throttle and very drivable for daily driving BUT and its a very big BUT one can not expect a supercar to be smooth as a Honda Accord. Logic dictates that high power requires heavy duty components and heavy duty requires a little more effort to handle. I ordered mine with the performance and electronic package and just love driving this car. The exhaust note is unbelievable and I just can't understand how Ford was able to build this quality car at these low prices. It's a nice testament to Carol Shelby!

Power, nice HD radio, comfortable leather seats, driver adjustable suspension and steering components, track apps, awesome exhaust note, looks, handling and did I say the power.

I would like the option for Chrome or polished aluminum rims.