Used 2006 Ford Explorer SUV Consumer Reviews - 188 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Ford Explorer SUV Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Radiator
By Jared

2006 Ford Explorer SUV XLS 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Nothing but trouble with the dumb thing, radiator dies out at least once every year.

The straw that broke the camels back
By Robert

2006 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased a 2006 Ford Explorer used in 2014. Clean car fax, no issues. 1 month after the purchase the water pump went out. No problem, replaced it and moved on. Two months later the thermostat went out. Had that replaced. A month later the radiator sprung a leak. Second radiator this car had replaced based on car fax history report. Then the heater hose blew, twice in 6 months. After all of that the car still would overheat at any given time. Then about one year after the purchase, the transmission would not engage in reverse all the time. Had to shut the engine down and try it again until it would engage. Two many other issues to list, but finally the straw that broke the camels back was a broken timing chain. Apparently when the timing chain breaks in this engine, you are looking at serious money to repair. Or a possibly replacing the engine. Had this auto for three years, put about 18k miles on it and had it towed to a mechanic at least five times. Never again. Sold it for what I could get.

great purchase
By dkm

2006 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Found this vehicle through Edmonds Vehicles for sale. Dealership, Milosch's Used Cars in Lake Orion, Mi., was the best and most honest dealership we have dealt with in a long time. The vehicle was purchased with minor problems reviewed with us before the purchase by the sales department and the General Manager; unbelievable, YES. I reviewed several other vehicles and decided to purchase this one even though it was located 120 miles away. Thanks, Edmonds, for the information. Dave
Traction control system saved me from a vehicle accident due to collision with an animal which sent me sideways into the opposing lane. The conditions were as follows: wet pavement, early morning fog, low light. I still remember hearing the anti-lock brake system working and feeling the body control system keeping the vehicle straight. Thanks Ford. Dave

The Common Complaints are Accurate
By KevinC

2006 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

The common complaints with this vehicle are: transmission, leaky radiator, lumbar support breaks. Yep, I experienced all three. The lumbar was fixed under warranty, the radiator replaced at about 40,000 miles (out of pocket expense) and the transmission.....well, there are legit complaints about this. Mine does bang occasionally or shift hard. Most (98%) of the time, it is fine. When I began noticing the tranny problem, i researched it time and time again. Many had their transmission replaced with no improvement. Over the years, I realized it is just a sub-standard design. The problems never get worse (for me). Beyond these three issues, I have not had to put any money into my Explorer with the exception of routine and typical maintenance. It has been an very good vehicle for me; drives nicely, is quiet, and dependable.

The WORST! 4 Radiators!
By Eddie Bauer Owner

2006 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this truck used in 2012, and 2 months after purchase, the radiator started leaking. Just thought it was bad luck so I purchased a new one, and the same thing happened after 1.5 years. The repair shop told me you cannot fix a leaking radiator, and it would have to be replaced. I researched pricing at a Ford dealer thinking an OEM part would be better, but the part itself was almost triple the price of many parts stores! I found 1-800-radiators, that gave a lifetime warranty with their radiators, it just had to be installed by the dealer with a special code that only the dealer can do. Okay.... did that. This one lasted another 1.5 years. when I took it back to 1-800-radiators they said this is impossible for our radiator to go bad this quickly, and suggested something else must be happening. I went back to the Ford Dealer and asked if my model had any know problems with the radiator. They said they've never heard of any radiator issues with my model. I couldn't figure out why my reserve tank kept being empty, but I saw no leaks...and could smell burning coolant. I even thought the tank itself had a hole, and the dealer still couldn't find a problem. After much research, I found a master mechanic at a run down shop who told me it was my thermostat housing. He explained the coolant was leaking as I was driving, and if I didn't detect it when I did, the head gasket would have blown, or it would have caused the top tank to bust, and another new radiator would be needed. I'm keeping an eye on it now, but I will never buy another Ford or trust the Ford service department to be honest with me. I pay more to have my car repaired at the dealer because I thought I'd get the best service. Sooo wrong and disappointed. I will do extensive research before buying another used car and it will NOT be a Ford. The only good thing about my Eddie Bauer is the navigation and rear entertainment system.