Used 2005 Ford Excursion Diesel Consumer Reviews - 56 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Ford Excursion Diesel Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Excursion model:

Heavy 8,045 pounds on Truck Scales
By Captcapo

2005 Ford Excursion Diesel XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

I bought this 2005 vehicle new in 2004. I have driven it back and forth from FL to MA and back again hauling a trailer or a boat. The power this engine puts out is fantastic. The mileage around home is about 17mpg and over the road about 19 mpg. Pulling the trailer or boat it dropped to 12 mpg. It is comfortable to drive. The only negative I would have is that the steering circumference is not great due to the long wheel base. It holds the road very well. You are sitting up over the roofs of most cars so you never get the boxed in feeling if you are in traffic. Since you are higher than most traffic you can foresee events happening ahead of you and take evasive action if necessary. The vehicle was built off the Ford 250 truck frame. The shift into four wheel drive on the fly serves you well in slippery conditions. Since you have a lot of steel around you and are higher up than most vehicles, I believe you are safer than the small vehicles ("vegetable makers") that the auto industry is trying to shove down our throats. If Ford still made this vehicle I would buy another one for my wife in a heart beat.

The Best full size SUV
By Jon Dietrich

2005 Ford Excursion Diesel Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

It’s a large SUV however we needed something that can tow our camper in the mountains and also people, luggage and 2 large dogs in the truck. Still nothing else offered in the market with a 3rd row and these capabilities.
I upgraded the stereo with a modern touchscreen and vluetooth, CarPlay, etc and front and rear cameras which was worth the cost. These technologies were not available in the truck when it was manufactured in 2005.

The Beast
By Chris Both

2005 Ford Excursion Diesel Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

I've owned this diesel for 12 years and I love it more each day. There is no vehicle out there to replace it with. I have 203,000 miles on it, engine and transmission have never been opened, I have never run any programs on it either. I think that might be key.

expected much more
By mar18

2005 Ford Excursion Diesel Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

i decided to buy an excursion diesel to be able to tow the toy hauler and bring the family along. i was very dissapointed with the quality performance and fuel mileage. i got 14 mpg on the highway (i have a light foot). when towing the 8000lb toyhauler i got 7mpg on the highway and had to go peddal to the floor on every hill and the truck still slowed down to 40 mph and struggled to make it up small hills. the truck overheated on me 3 times while towing in tow-haul mode so i started towing without it. the truck always struggled with the trailer. My 5.7 liter tundra towed the same trailer without a problem. I always thought ford was the best of all american car makers. obviously i was wrong

rear dvd player, rear captains chairs, nice two tone paint and two tone leather.

If ford decides to remake them they should improve quality, power, and mileage.

Bigger and Better
By Beowulf

2005 Ford Excursion Diesel Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

As with another reviewer, this is my second 'Ex' (also had an '01). Replaced after transmission had repeated problems ending in new transmission (fortunately it was still under warranty). I actually liked the 7.0 engine better, but this one does have better mileage and I can carry my entire extended family and tow a boat when we go on vacation. Towing and carrying full load, can cross Snoqualmie Pass in worst winter conditions with just winter tires, no problems. I love this car and am glad I got one of the last ones - will care for it and probably replace the engine if it ever fails. Oh, and by the way - runs great on Biodiesel - I've had it up to B100 but B5-B20 is best for coldest winter weather.

Space aplenty. Lots of torque, pulls my 8500lb. boat-trailer like it wasn't there. Even before chipping, gets excellent mileage (appx. 15 city, up to 20 highway) - more than my Jeep Grand Cherokee does and more comfort, too.

not much point in this category since it's not being made anymore, but better motors on the back windows would have been nice. Also, an extra leaf in the front springs for firmer road-feel when fully loaded.