Used 1998 Dodge Neon Sedan Consumer Reviews - 39 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Dodge Neon Sedan Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Neon model:

20 years later, it has it where it counts.
By Jerry S

1998 Dodge Neon Sedan R/T 4dr Sedan

Not a bad time for a 20th Anniversary review. For a car with 250+ miles, this little machine still goes. We bought it as emergency transportation when our minivan's tranny blew and my wife still calls it her baby. When we bought it, it was dirty and needed some TLC. The speedometer hadn't worked for a while. It turns out a little soldering on some contact points fixed it. The job took about an hour and cost nothing. Brake pads have been replaced twice since we've had it, it takes about an hour per axle to replace. It could use new paint, but its tough to justify the cost. But....at 20 years old and 250k,....when you step on the gas, it jumps. When you're on the highway, you can take it to 80 mph without any vibration or shuddering. There is no play in the wheel, it feels like a new car when changing lanes or cornering. There is no roll when you take a corner faster than you should. We've since bought an 08 Corolla and the driving feel is night and day. The Corolla has that econo car feel.. light, like its going to be blown off the highway. The Neon feels like it grips the road. Ours has no power anything, not even cruise control, (our kids couldn't figure out how to get the manual windows down) but its clear that Dodge put the money in the motor and the chassis. Very, very well built.

1998 4dr poor man sports car
By daniel lipe

1998 Dodge Neon Sedan Sport 4dr Sedan

hi I own a 1998 4dr five speed manual dodge neon its absolutely amazing well one its not your typical neon I have your standard 2.0 DOHC 16v but the difference is its got stage 2 fuel injectors and stage two fuel pump and stage 3 racing clutch and I hollowed out the caddy and cut off the muffler and installed a 200$ exhaust tip on it and it truly sounds amazing no not a car fartin in a tin can sound its fast and furious sound quality but one thing I cant figure out is it gets 48 mpg highway and 39 in town but according to the specs its 41 and 32 my neon is so fast it suprizes me ive never lost to a race best example I can think of how fast she is I smoked a 08 mustang gt and 2014 jeep and and suv mercedezes and 2001 turbo charged five speed Toyota celica ive that's just some examples here is a good one this guy has a 90's model hatch batch civic or accord not sure but we raced one day and he didn't win or loose we stayed neck and neck and after the race we pulled over and talked and he asked how much cash I put under the hood he said he has dumped 3gs so far and I said none I bought the car with 112000 on body and 60,000 on motor for 1400 bucks I used to have all the paper work on all the performance parts installed but 12/08/14 my house burnt to the ground lost everything and even two of my dogs but long story short I can do 0-60 on a good 4.8 secs flat but average is 5.3 to 5.0 secs fastest ive had the car is 135 rev limiter is set at 7500 I cant do 90 in third gear with tac at 6500 rpms yup super high geared oh and one more thing I have a aftermarket racing spoiler on it 700$ bought off a friend for 100$

Sporty looking, decent on gas, and reliable.
By zanderlion

1998 Dodge Neon Sedan Sport 4dr Sedan

I own a black 1998 Dodge Neon Sport Sedan with an automatic transmission.
I'm not sure how many owners its had.
I bought the car in October of 2011 from a mechanic for $1600. The car has 135,280 miles. I noticed oil was leaking out the gasket seal. So I had my cousin replace the seal.
And the leak stopped. My cousin also put new spark plugs in, and he noticed a couple of spark plugs were drowned in oil.
I give the car it's routine oil changes every 3 to 5000 miles. I never had any trouble starting it, even in the coldest winter last year, it started fine. The car handles the snow ok. I had to replace a fuel pipe, because it rusted through.
In conclusion, I think it's a reliable fun car.

My favorite features on the car would have to be the exterior design for starters. To me, it almost looks like a Porsche. The car is a little sluggish at normal acceleration. But, when you put the pedal to the medal, then it really moves! I like how it sounds to when all the horses in all 4 cylinders are being fired. I think the car looks best in black. I was lucky to find one in black.

I think the creators of that car could have did a better job with safety of the car. The quality of plastics for the dash could have been better.

Perfect first time, long time car!
By ch_burne2

1998 Dodge Neon Sedan R/T 4dr Sedan

Ive had this car since about 07, when I acquired it from my mom who was the 2nd owner (originally bought from a dealership). Ive been driving it since I was 16 so its been through a lot. Aside from regular maintenance this car has been very low maintenance. Ive had the oil changed about every 5k miles and a few tune-ups but this car has not asked for much more.
In terms of repairs this is what Ive had to have done:
-brakes a couple times in 7 years
-fuel pump twice (wear in the fuel line which was unnoticed)
-various parts of the cooling system
Still has the original clutch after 13 years! This car lasts forever if you care enough.

200k miles plus! The interior is phenomenal (besides the headliner which I think the dealership replaced incorrectly and is loose now) and still looks brand new even 13 years old. The clutch is stiff and so is the gas which makes driving the car feel like driving a real stick and not one of those new crap manuals that are impossible to stall out. Only parts of the grill and spoiler have shown wear in the paint and the rest shines like new when waxed. Downshifting is a BLESSING in this car in the ice and snow. The car itself is too light to use the brakes and I don't think it has ABS so downshifting is key! Also, EXCELLENT gas mileage! Even in its old age this car gets 28-33mpg average.

Overheats occasionally in heat and humidity even since I had most of my cooling system rebuilt. Not sure what's going on but selling the car soon so haven't taken it to a legitimate mechanic to find out. The display went from bad a couple years ago to worse and now the speedo and odometer work half the time. Also manual locks and windows are standard with this car which drives me crazy. Oh and the CD changer is located in the trunk which is impossibly inconvenient to change with a memory like mine so you always end up listening to the radio (equally as bad as repetitive CDs). Keep in mind technical issues occurred after 100k.. Like I said, work horse if you don't treat the car like garbage.

Its had its problems...
By neon1998c

1998 Dodge Neon Sedan Highline 4dr Sedan

My 1998 Dodge Neon has had belt issues where the water pump locked up and the timing belt jumped. Then a month later the serpentine belt shredded completely and had to be replaced as well. The car rattles a lot when I drive it, and shakes bad when it idles. My Neon doesn't have much power to it either. Its got bad acceleration, (it doesn't pick up speed quickly). Also my dome light and my shifter light don't work, (I changed the dome light and yes have checked the fuses and light switch, I don't know how to change the shifter light.) Over all, I wish I had a different car, or a better Neon :(

Great on gas!