Used 1998 Dodge Neon Consumer Reviews - 66 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Dodge Neon Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Neon model:

My little sleeper
By PJ

1998 Dodge Neon R/T 2dr Coupe

I purchased the car new and loaned it to my daughter a couple of years ago for about a year. I have it back now with only a little over 200,000 miles on it. It has had two water pumps/ Timing belts at the recommended intervals. I have used Mobil 1 since new. It doesn't use a quart of oil between oil changes, it has the original clutch assembly, starter and alternator as well as the original paint with no rust thru. I did have to replace the original struts a few months ago. Still has the original exhaust. Heater and air conditioner will run you out of the car unless you back the controls way off.

beater that won't stop
By Roger

1998 Dodge Neon Highline 2dr Coupe

I bought my coupe off a craigslist add, and brought it home on a trailer. After repairing a few issues brought on by a young guy hot rodding it, it runs great. I've saved all kinds of money on gas and it's a hoot to drive. The shifter and driving dynamics make me feel like I'm in a sports car and nobody sees it coming since it's just a little dodge.

I've put about 10,000 miles on the car this past year. The car's age is showing, and moved. The new dealer isn't up to the same standards as the old one. They kept the car two weeks without completing any repairs and I finally went with my extra key and took the car back. That isn't the car's fault. But it did point out that they didn't take the car seriously like they would have a more expensive or modern model.

20 years later, it has it where it counts.
By Jerry S

1998 Dodge Neon R/T 4dr Sedan

Not a bad time for a 20th Anniversary review. For a car with 250+ miles, this little machine still goes. We bought it as emergency transportation when our minivan's tranny blew and my wife still calls it her baby. When we bought it, it was dirty and needed some TLC. The speedometer hadn't worked for a while. It turns out a little soldering on some contact points fixed it. The job took about an hour and cost nothing. Brake pads have been replaced twice since we've had it, it takes about an hour per axle to replace. It could use new paint, but its tough to justify the cost. But....at 20 years old and 250k,....when you step on the gas, it jumps. When you're on the highway, you can take it to 80 mph without any vibration or shuddering. There is no play in the wheel, it feels like a new car when changing lanes or cornering. There is no roll when you take a corner faster than you should. We've since bought an 08 Corolla and the driving feel is night and day. The Corolla has that econo car feel.. light, like its going to be blown off the highway. The Neon feels like it grips the road. Ours has no power anything, not even cruise control, (our kids couldn't figure out how to get the manual windows down) but its clear that Dodge put the money in the motor and the chassis. Very, very well built.

1998 4dr poor man sports car
By daniel lipe

1998 Dodge Neon Sport 4dr Sedan

hi I own a 1998 4dr five speed manual dodge neon its absolutely amazing well one its not your typical neon I have your standard 2.0 DOHC 16v but the difference is its got stage 2 fuel injectors and stage two fuel pump and stage 3 racing clutch and I hollowed out the caddy and cut off the muffler and installed a 200$ exhaust tip on it and it truly sounds amazing no not a car fartin in a tin can sound its fast and furious sound quality but one thing I cant figure out is it gets 48 mpg highway and 39 in town but according to the specs its 41 and 32 my neon is so fast it suprizes me ive never lost to a race best example I can think of how fast she is I smoked a 08 mustang gt and 2014 jeep and and suv mercedezes and 2001 turbo charged five speed Toyota celica ive that's just some examples here is a good one this guy has a 90's model hatch batch civic or accord not sure but we raced one day and he didn't win or loose we stayed neck and neck and after the race we pulled over and talked and he asked how much cash I put under the hood he said he has dumped 3gs so far and I said none I bought the car with 112000 on body and 60,000 on motor for 1400 bucks I used to have all the paper work on all the performance parts installed but 12/08/14 my house burnt to the ground lost everything and even two of my dogs but long story short I can do 0-60 on a good 4.8 secs flat but average is 5.3 to 5.0 secs fastest ive had the car is 135 rev limiter is set at 7500 I cant do 90 in third gear with tac at 6500 rpms yup super high geared oh and one more thing I have a aftermarket racing spoiler on it 700$ bought off a friend for 100$

Sporty looking, decent on gas, and reliable.
By zanderlion

1998 Dodge Neon Sport 4dr Sedan

I own a black 1998 Dodge Neon Sport Sedan with an automatic transmission.
I'm not sure how many owners its had.
I bought the car in October of 2011 from a mechanic for $1600. The car has 135,280 miles. I noticed oil was leaking out the gasket seal. So I had my cousin replace the seal.
And the leak stopped. My cousin also put new spark plugs in, and he noticed a couple of spark plugs were drowned in oil.
I give the car it's routine oil changes every 3 to 5000 miles. I never had any trouble starting it, even in the coldest winter last year, it started fine. The car handles the snow ok. I had to replace a fuel pipe, because it rusted through.
In conclusion, I think it's a reliable fun car.

My favorite features on the car would have to be the exterior design for starters. To me, it almost looks like a Porsche. The car is a little sluggish at normal acceleration. But, when you put the pedal to the medal, then it really moves! I like how it sounds to when all the horses in all 4 cylinders are being fired. I think the car looks best in black. I was lucky to find one in black.

I think the creators of that car could have did a better job with safety of the car. The quality of plastics for the dash could have been better.