Used 1998 Chevrolet Astro Consumer Reviews

List Price Estimate

Used Astro for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:

Pros
Cons

I like it

yakimagal, 06/21/2008
LS 3dr Minivan AWD

I am getting ready to purchase another car as I have had this one for 10 years. I find I am comparing everything I look at to my Astro. The interior and exterior still look almost new. I have replaced the tires 4 times in 10 years, whatever that means. I love how it handles on wet pavement and snow. With the AWD, I can travel the mountain pass without putting on chains. Compared to my last car, 89 Astro, the handling is so much better. There has been some repair work, but standard stuff as a car ages. Check engine light 3 times in 10 years. The lighting on stereo has burned out but stereo still works well.

Family Hauler

Chevy Fan, 12/22/2008
LS 3dr Minivan

Bought from a frequent traveler with 98K on it. We now have 271K on it. Nothing unexpected - usual replacements of water pump fuel pump, trans rebuild, and so forth. Still no oil consumption. We use on trips for family of 4, plus it served as the "Mom wagon" for several years, racking up 300 miles a week. We are ready to let it go after a long service life. Everything still works. Needs a radiator, uses too much gas at today's prices. We got our money's worth.

Pros and Cons of my Astrovan

Chev AWD Astro LT, 12/04/2007
LT 3dr Minivan AWD

I like to drive my Astrovan but it's ride is too rough. It gets 14 miles per gallon which makes it too expensive to drive at today's inflated gas prices. Also it is almost impossible for me alone to remove the 5 rear passenger seats

1997 Astro Conversion

macboy9999, 04/08/2002
LT 3dr Minivan

I would not recomend this van to anyone. We have 60,000 miles as of 3/02. So far the air went out twice, the motor was replaced 6 months after purchase, the front tierods and bushings need to be replaced the gas guage does not work the brakes were replaced last year. The serpentine belt has been replaced a year ago and it still makes a loud noise. They say we need another new one. This van has been garaged since we bought it. My wife drives it 40 miles a day to the train station, so most of othe miles are highway. I purchased it new in 1997 for $28,900 It was the top of the line TV VCR ect. If you are looking to purchase an Astro I would say Don't!!!.

Astros are iffy

Clay Bum, 12/28/2002
LS 3dr Minivan

Everything went to hell at 60,000 miles... with me in it! It's been in the shop 6 times in the last two months. Every time I make any money it goes to my mechanic. As soon as I get back from SCI's New Years run I get to get the tranny fixed. Anyone want buy an Astro?

What a Farse

Astrotrash, 08/13/2003
LS 3dr Minivan AWD

This van has been lousy since the get go. At 16,000 miles, it died on the freeway. The catalytic converter, oxygen sensor and fuel pump needed replacing. It has broken down numerous times. The fuel pump has been replaced twice, rear AC twice and on and on and on. The cabin had an unlocated water leak which caused the carpet and padding to saturate and produce mold. GM Customer relations had to be brought in to mediate. After paying for new padding and having it happen again, we finally just removed it and put it back in place when we traded the ridiculous thing in. It rides like a mattress suspended on beach balls. First and LAST GM experience.

maryland

glen brown, 08/11/2004
3dr Minivan

braking system is no good

Poor Quality Build - Nightmare Experience

bosnol, 08/29/2011
LT 3dr Minivan

Awful build quality - it is too bad since the Astro fits a perfect niche for families with diverse outdoor interests. They made this vehicle out of trash - and it did not help with the dealer contesting every warranty claim. The extended warranty saved us $10k in unexpected, chronic breakdowns. Security Chevrolet in Vista, California, now out of business was the nightmare dealer.

Astro-nomical costs

Astroslug, 05/15/2002
LS 3dr Minivan

I guess I would say that the Astro is fairly solid IF you get one with a generous extended factory warranty. Reliability "issues": --> replaced front pads at 20K --> had TWO experiences (one inside and one outside of standard factory warranty period) with "bad ignition" wires (>$450 each) --> transmission went to mush around 35K miles (fortunately just barely within warranty period).

1998 AWD Astro van

Morgan5, 05/18/2002
3dr Minivan AWD

This is the second Astro Van we have owned one right after the other, since 1990, These vans are great in all kinds of weather, and road conditions, the AWD is the only way to go.........I have had only one problem that I consider a engineering problem and it is that the rear air conditioning has a line running from front to back, that has a tendency to wear at the brackets, costing close to 300.00 to fix! Other then that if you take care of this vehicle, it is extremely dependable. Sold the 1990 to a couple, with 125,000 miles on it and it is still in near perfect shape. Even my auto repair shop was impressed with that van!

51050