Used 2002 Buick Regal Consumer Reviews - 37 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Buick Regal Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Regal model:

Good ole gal!
By Judith G

2002 Buick Regal LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I have had this car for 11 years. I love it and it is very reliable. It's still in great shape and I take good care of her; she's never let me down. I highly recommend this vehicle. The back seating area can be a little tight if the front seats are pushed back. The trunk is enormous. I just wish it had 8 way power seats rather than 6 way and that the a/c vents had the 6 way vents (up, down, left to right, on-off wheel) like my Oldsmobile had.

Pontiac engine... not much though.
By Dre Waters

2002 Buick Regal LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Our grandmother gave us this car because our 94 Plymouth Voyager finally gave out. She only drove it to the country club and the store. They took a Honda CRV for road trips. Now my family travels alot. So we took it down to florida and the car couldn't get over 55MPG comming back. O2 Sensor or MAF sensor would go out alot so that would stand us at a intersection. It has a basic looking exterior and interior. Has Monsoon Speakers in the car so they have some good sound. Handlebars and cup holers are really cheep so they break easily. Taillight replacement is a pain in the but trying to replace the four trunk ones. The Dashboard killed it's self and that had to be replaced. (I think 2000 to rebuild or replace) I wouldn't buy this car if a person does not want to pay money to replace a lot of things. (Many more issues I cannot remember) No bluetoth or MP3/Aux Input. It's getting traded in today.

Long Term Review
By Ryan

2002 Buick Regal LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

My family owned this car for around 9 years. It was my first car and I took a lot of pride in it as it is a car to be proud of. We had a special edition style and handling package with two tone paint and firmer, more reactive suspension. While the car isn't particularly special in the curves, it felt awesome until you near the limit and realize how front heavy it is. The engine was plenty powerful to have fun with, and consistently gave me 29 mpg HWY without fail. ABS worked great. Traction control worked surprisingly well even in deep snow up to the bumper. Never got my car stuck in the winter except for once when it was practically buried overnight. We did have some problems over the course of the ownership. The worst one was the ignition switch which shut the car off in heavy traffic. Other than that, we also had to replace the swaybar, a window motor, window switches, AC clutch, 3 wheel bearings, fender rust and well that's about it. Pretty good car, but still nickle and dimed over the years. Probably cost less then 2k for everything over 9 years. It was really built well though. Maintained it perfectly and it was still driving like new at almost 170k. There were no weird squeaks, rattles or anything which is amazing considering how high quality the monsoon radio and speaker system was. YOU WANT THE MONSOON! The only wear it showed were a few chips on the aftermarket hood, some fine cracks in the leather, and a light tick from a lifter in the bullet proof Buick 3.8L until she warmed up. Car was broke in but showed no signs of slowing down. I trusted it fully to the day I sold it. It wasn't babied either. Maintained and serviced well was not used lightly. Ditched during winter twice, but no damage was ever taken.

Who would've thought I'd rather have a Buick?
By newportbob

2002 Buick Regal LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Having never owned a GM car, I was not sure what to expect. I'd done a lot of research and, for the value, the Buick Regal kept coming up. I found a beauty, a 2002 for $3,000. Looks and runs like new, great power, luscious leather interior (spotless), one of the finest sound systems I've ever heard, hugs the road like a bear. I absolutely love this car. The only other car I loved this much was a 1974 Volvo that we put 360,000 miles on. I don't know if I'll get the same with the Regal, but I do know that maintenance is key to vehicle longevity. We'll see!

I gotta say the concert sound system is outstanding. Also the driver's seat comfort and adjustability. And I really like the way it handles, more like a sports car than a sedan, you can feel the road right through the steering wheel. Instruments are easy to view and intuitive. Huge trunk. Mileage is a constant 30 MPG on the freeway. In-town runs about 20-22, which is par for 3.8 liter engine. It's solid, you can hear it when you shut the door. Cabin road noise is minimal, I would call it "hushed". My wife's Camry is not nearly as comfortable or quiet on the road. Lots of early warning sensors, one of which ("Low Tire" air pressure light) saved us from a disaster on the road.

Cup holders! Nicely hidden but should have been deeper to hold a cup more securely. Heating system is not as responsive as our Camry. The defrost works great on the passenger side, not so much on the driver's side. Thought it might be obstructed but couldn't find anything, seems a design issue. None of these are deal-breakers, though. I'd buy it again in a heart-beat.

Cross Country
By deandesisto

2002 Buick Regal LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Ive driven many cars, but the 2002 Buick Regal LS is by far my favorite car i have driven so far. It is much more comfortable then Japanese cars, and sure goes alot more than it shows. I drove from Rhode Island to Montana in this car, and it revved strong at 2k at 70mph, ive had v8's that revved higher. Amazing gas mileage, only spent around $200 from RI to South Dakota, with gas around 3.50. Bought this car a year ago, at 3k with 115 thou. Something about
American cars makes the ride better, foriegn cars dont have personalities like my Ford and Buick do, I love that thing, even though my gas gauge is broke and my odometer is gone, this car took me 2500 miles across our great nation.Buy USA

Very comfortable car, and for a V6 it is amazingly fast, acceleration very nice once you get into third, and the gas mileage is absolutely awesome. Put a little STP platinum in once in a blue moon, change the oil every three thousand, and keep up on your basic maintenance, and this car will last long and strong.

The Alarm system has a mind of its own, and it does not let you open the doors with the keys if the car has been locked, that needs to change since i keep losing that lock button thing since it broke off my chain. Really annoying, but besides that great car