Used 2009 BMW 7 Series Sedan Consumer Reviews - 16 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 7 Series model:

3 yrs later on used 2009 75oi
By R Felts

2009 BMW 7 Series Sedan 750i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl Turbo 6A)

Now have 78k miles, bought at 58k (see previous review). Over the last 3 years this car has had about 10k in repairs. Fortunately I had an extended warranty that covered everything -- a couple of major oil leaks (3700) , satellite radio receiver (1700) and 3 more leaks (oil block, turbo housing and radiator - 4700). Supposedly everything has been fixed! The car is now over 9 years old, still drives terrific. It looks almost new, styling still looks current, and paint and interior are holding up remarkably. I keep it waxed & have done my own leather treatment twice. I also updated the nav software. As for the much posted oil and battery problems, I've had none. Burns no oil and I keep the battery charged occasionally with a Battery Tender. Battery is approaching 5 years old now. This car has the dynamic sway control and 4 wheel steering, and when I test drove some newer 7 series and 5 series models, they did not handle near as well as this old 750, so I'll be keeping it. Hopefully nothing else will require repair, but whatever, it's better than 100k for a new one.

Awesome & Powerful but unreliable engine
By Chas. Michael

2009 BMW 7 Series Sedan 750i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl Turbo 6A)

I have had numerous engine, drivetrain malfuntion and constant battery drainage issues for the past 4 years and despite my dealership efforts, problems continue and have cost me many thousands of dollars BMW corp is aware of the faulty N63 engines but is offering 0 help. I have purchased 4 BMWs but will never buy a 750 again.

Land yacht
By Robert Merrill

2009 BMW 7 Series Sedan 750Li 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl Turbo 6A)

This car gets great mileage on highway but not so much in town driving. It is quiet and comfortable. BMW has to push start/stop button twice to switch off. First with foot on brake then second time with foot off brake. Battery will only last six months. CPU lasted to 30,000 miles. Engine had top half redone under warranty still did not stop using oil. Sold car with 46,000 miles as I’d had enough

Great car.
By Thomas

2009 BMW 7 Series Sedan 750Li 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl Turbo 6A)

My third BMW, and by far the best thus far. I have had the car for 7 years now and besides tires, I have spent less than $2,000 on the car. I am disappointed they discontinued the BMW Assist program for 2009-2013 cars, a big mistake on their part. This includes SOS and Google Maps forwarding directions. That said, it is likely they may continue it at some point. Run-flats are terrible driving tires, so I replaced those as soon as they wore out with normal ties--drove materially better. I am selling my car next week to buy another one, a new model. I highly recommend the car.

2009 BMW 750i
By Robert Felts

2009 BMW 7 Series Sedan 750i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl Turbo 6A)

Gas mileage is poor in town, more like 13 than 15. Hi-way mileage is ok, averaging about 21.5 mpg. About 16.3 combined.
Car is a fantastic machine and a true pleasure to drive - acceleration. anti-sway, steering control and ability to cruise comfortably at high speed are all phenomenal. Accessories are second to none. I had a 2009 E550 before this, and IMO it was inferior to this 750i.
Maybe the best car I've ever owned -- except for a 2003 Honda V-6 that was an engineering marvel engine-wise.
I know potential maintenance costs could kill me down the road, but this car was pretty much gone through by the dealer before purchase, so hopefully it'll be a while before repairs start.
Short story? The Ultimate Driving Machine, hands-down. I love it.
Update 6500 miles and 8 months later:
Car continues to be maintenance free, runs like a charm; fast, comfortable, zero problems so far. 22.8 mpg on a recent 500 mile trip averaging over 70mph. Still the ultimate cruising auto, but unfortunately attracts police at 90.