Used 2009 BMW 3 Series Coupe Consumer Reviews - 35 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 BMW 3 Series Coupe Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

goodoptions, superb handling, weak acceleration
By Alan

2009 BMW 3 Series Coupe 328i xDrive 2dr Coupe AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I have owned this car for over 4 years. The options and interior beat out many of the newer cars available today ( adaptive xenon, leather interior, wood trim, fine stitching, interior lighting, hill descent control). The ride is very good and typical on highways of the best luxury cars, the ride on rough terrain or around town is painful given the suspension. I enjoyed driving this car; in the rain and adverse conditions this car offered incredible and confident road handling, great visibility and solid performance. Braking and handling are classic and sharp; heated seats and steering wheel are better than on any car I've owned or tested. The trunk was deep given the lack of spare and provided ample storage for a coupe. Passing was always a breeze. Now for the negative... the 0-60 specs are around 7+ seconds which are pathetic for any car, the maintenance is painful, a 3 series is an entry level luxury car and I was shocked at the cost to maintain , every time i took it to the shop after 70k miles it needed something. The windows always fogged in cold and/or rainy weather and keeping the defroster on always made the cabin way too hot. It was impossible to keep a good temperature (notable BMW problem). The speedometer was always 5-10MPH faster than i was actually going (another notable bimmer problem-they purposely inflate to make it seem faster). After owning for a few years the depreciation in the vehicle was awful, everyone talks about the value of BMW but they don't hold it. All in all it is a great car with high quality assets but a fair amount of "manageable" downfalls. Bottom line is : you will enjoy the car and it is a better option over many newer vehicles however it will cost you to maintain and watch those potholes.

335i Rocks!
By Richard Song

2009 BMW 3 Series Coupe 335i xDrive 2dr Coupe AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Bought my e92 335xi with a little bit over 40k miles on 2015. Currently almost two and half years, it's been running like a champ. Drives and handles like a dream. Everything feels heavy yet steady and tight: the gas paddle, brake paddle, suspension, and the steering wheel. All these together make it a comfortable car and you a confident driver. Sometimes I went 90mph on highway without even noticing because it simply feels so sturdy. Although not designed for fuel efficiency, it returns 30mpg on the highway on usual basis. There are occasional repairs, as expected, but it's worth every penny. Radiator gave up @51k mile. Carbon build up causing car hard to start @55k mile. Except from that, it's been problem free.

2009 335xi review
By Dan Polyash

2009 BMW 3 Series Coupe 335i xDrive 2dr Coupe AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

This car is great, has very refined performance. In fact, I took my mom for a drive and asked her how fast she thought I was driving, she said 40 when in fact I was going 58. I get varying mpg depending on how I drive, when I go smoothly and just cruise, I get anywhere from 26.4 to 27 mpg. When I feel like gunning it on every turn, I get anywhere from 22.7 to 24.4. The reliability of this car is great, very responsive and has awesome handling. Very great performance, would recommend to anyone who has the time, money and experience to buy this car.

very good sport looking and comfort car
By ahmed

2009 BMW 3 Series Coupe 328i xDrive 2dr Coupe AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

The power is not bad evin though its missing the turbo, but if you were not a type of person who race cars it is the best choice for looking cool in a sport car!

Potential to be a really great car.
By Joey L

2009 BMW 3 Series Coupe 335i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Make no mistake.
This is one of the best cars I have ever had, out of about 10. I have a 335 with sports package, premium package and 20 inch wheels. Jet black with dealer installed blueing of the chrome, and window tinting. It is a fairly sharp looking car. On a good road, it handles and accelerates really well. It is great for a driving trip with good roads. The premium stereo is best sounding I have owned. Even after 6 years the interior still smells like a new leather wallet (analogy upcoming).
Get this car on a well paved road, switch to sport mode and let it rip. It is a very happy experience.
However, it is likely to cost you. After i settle down from paying the bills I can joke about it. But I think there is a computer chip somewhere inside the makes things start to fail after the service contract ends. For example, on the first service visit after the contract ended, they advised spark plugs and wheel alignment. That was $1600. (of course this includes the World-class check up).
After a big rainstorm the computer thought the engine was overheating and made the car slow down on the freeway to 25 MPH. That was fun. Be prepared for unsympathetic people when you drive a BMW. After 3 service visits they figured out it was water leaking into the battery compartment and cabling conduit. That was $3400.
Tires? $1700, every two years. Gotta love them run-flats.
I figure the car smells like a wallet to remind you of how much money you will need to continue to put into it.
Even with that, I really like this car. I sort of expected it was going to cost a lot once the warranty was up. But not quite that much.
I think that If I do this again, I would lease and make sure the lease ends before the warranty does. But then it would be hard to get the extras just right. That is, the sports package really does ride better than the standard suspension (I really did try both) and the premium stereo is really good sounding (I did try both).