Used 2003 Audi A4 Consumer Reviews - 393 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Audi A4

View reviews for a specific A4 model:

Awesome Car!
By Cam

2003 Audi A4 1.8T quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

My A4 has 170,000 miles and is still running beautifully. It is fun to drive, comfortable, and not half bad looking either. Has run flawless its whole life (It has been maintained exactly when suggested by Audi). Will replace the timing belt again soon, though the manual says every 100 or 105k from what I have read it should be replaced every 60- 80k as that is when it is said to break. Build quality is in a whole different class, the car is amazingly sound and solid. Manual shifts smooth and precise. Gas mileage is anywhere from 23-24 city to 30-31 hwy. Quattro is awesome too!!!

AWD, gas mileage, build quality, fun to drive for what it is, space, stereo

The new A4 has all the improvements I would have suggested. The front end was re-modeled, there's more cup holders, and the new engine has the little bit more power that my car needs.

Save your money for repairs
By utahsnowrider

2003 Audi A4 3.0 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I have owned this car for 5 years and purchased it new. I love the handling, performance,and smooth,quiet ride. It handles well in the snow. As soon as the vehicle was off warranty and still under 50,000 miles, I had to replace the power steering pump, cracked vacuum tubes, and oxygen sensors. I calculated that it has cost me $100 per month for repairs since the warranty expired. Not exactly the fine engineering and reliability I expected when I purchased the car. I read a lot of owner reviews that are experiencing the same failures my car has. I still love to drive this car, but I won't be buying another Audi.

Comfortable ride, winter handling, performance, trunk volume.

Reliability.

All Season Driving
By Michael

2003 Audi A4 1.8T quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

At 76,000 miles, I am very happy with this car. The interior design is very ergonomic and everything is oriented to the driver. Trunk space is huge. The exterior design is simple, yet elegant. Quattro AWD makes the car suitable for any driving conditions and the car is more than capable of performing in the corners - it just stays controlled at all times. The 1.8T engine is a little under performing considering the brute weight of the vehicle, but an ECU upgrade quickly fixes that issue. What you lose in engine performance, you gain in fuel economy where I get an average in the low 30's on the highway - approximately 27 mpg over all. Original and stock clutch is still going strong.

Quattro AWD invokes confidence during all seasons, German quality throughout, best in class interior design, classy and elegant exterior, large trunk space, relatively good fuel economy (low 30's on highway) considering the weight of the vehicle

Nicely textured interior paint peels easily, highly recommend purchasing an ECU upgrade from a tuner shop for improved performance from the 1.8T, be careful when washing the engine - ignition coils are very sensitive to direct water contact.

A Very Pretty Lemon
By A very Pretty Lemon

2003 Audi A4 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is the prettiest lemon I have ever owned! Not worth the cost of the tires. It is very unreliable. I purchased this car for my daughter last year, a college student, and she has been stranded so many times that AAA canceled our contract after only 4 months! First the CVT went out, then it's been in the shop for numerous sensor replacements. Headlight replacements, $300 a pop. Just required to have the timing belt replaced at only 80K on Friday ($1500), Saturday a.m. my daughter called and said the check engine light came back on.

Only the looks. It looks tough, meanest ride on the street. At least it looks that way. My daughter has lost faith in anything I have to say about cars now.

How about lowering the costs for replacement parts. Better yet, how about using some quality parts. And quality does NOT = expense!!! This is a poor representation of the reliable German Werks!!! This car is a Piece of WORK, not worth the paint!!! Never will buy another Audi, recommend u don't!!

I wish I never bought this car!
By qe212

2003 Audi A4 3.0 Fwd 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

I bought my A4 in November of 2006 with 33K miles and now have 64K on it. I live in New England and wanted a 4 wheel drive sedan. In the three years I have owned the car I've replaced the windshield wiper motor twice ($500 each) and the windshield washer pump once! I've also had to replace the the rack and pinion steering, all 6 ignition cylinders, timing belt and water pump (Audi recommendation = $1200), brakes. I'm at the point I'm afraid to drive the car on any long trips and use it as little as possible. I'll be trading it in soon for a Honda Civic (going to take a hit on the trade in value and what I owe) but I just can't afford to keep the Audi.

It's great in snow and rain.