Used 2003 Audi A4 Sedan Consumer Reviews - 295 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2003 Audi A4 Sedan

View reviews for a specific A4 model:

Save your money for repairs
By utahsnowrider

2003 Audi A4 Sedan 3.0 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I have owned this car for 5 years and purchased it new. I love the handling, performance,and smooth,quiet ride. It handles well in the snow. As soon as the vehicle was off warranty and still under 50,000 miles, I had to replace the power steering pump, cracked vacuum tubes, and oxygen sensors. I calculated that it has cost me $100 per month for repairs since the warranty expired. Not exactly the fine engineering and reliability I expected when I purchased the car. I read a lot of owner reviews that are experiencing the same failures my car has. I still love to drive this car, but I won't be buying another Audi.

Comfortable ride, winter handling, performance, trunk volume.

Reliability.

All Season Driving
By Michael

2003 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

At 76,000 miles, I am very happy with this car. The interior design is very ergonomic and everything is oriented to the driver. Trunk space is huge. The exterior design is simple, yet elegant. Quattro AWD makes the car suitable for any driving conditions and the car is more than capable of performing in the corners - it just stays controlled at all times. The 1.8T engine is a little under performing considering the brute weight of the vehicle, but an ECU upgrade quickly fixes that issue. What you lose in engine performance, you gain in fuel economy where I get an average in the low 30's on the highway - approximately 27 mpg over all. Original and stock clutch is still going strong.

Quattro AWD invokes confidence during all seasons, German quality throughout, best in class interior design, classy and elegant exterior, large trunk space, relatively good fuel economy (low 30's on highway) considering the weight of the vehicle

Nicely textured interior paint peels easily, highly recommend purchasing an ECU upgrade from a tuner shop for improved performance from the 1.8T, be careful when washing the engine - ignition coils are very sensitive to direct water contact.

A Very Pretty Lemon
By A very Pretty Lemon

2003 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is the prettiest lemon I have ever owned! Not worth the cost of the tires. It is very unreliable. I purchased this car for my daughter last year, a college student, and she has been stranded so many times that AAA canceled our contract after only 4 months! First the CVT went out, then it's been in the shop for numerous sensor replacements. Headlight replacements, $300 a pop. Just required to have the timing belt replaced at only 80K on Friday ($1500), Saturday a.m. my daughter called and said the check engine light came back on.

Only the looks. It looks tough, meanest ride on the street. At least it looks that way. My daughter has lost faith in anything I have to say about cars now.

How about lowering the costs for replacement parts. Better yet, how about using some quality parts. And quality does NOT = expense!!! This is a poor representation of the reliable German Werks!!! This car is a Piece of WORK, not worth the paint!!! Never will buy another Audi, recommend u don't!!

Love my car.....but....things to know
By Damien

2003 Audi A4 Sedan 3.0 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I love my audi and will say that it drives the same as the day I bought it (with 8800 miles on it). With that said, repairs are expensive so you should know that. Find a good VW or Audi mechanic and don't use your dealership as they are a rip off. Here are some things I have paid for on my car with 86K miles on it. At 43K a new clutch....70K a new timing belt, spark plugs, and water pump, front breaks at 72K and rear breaks at $77K.....82K catalytic converter, 85K miles suspension arms, etc. In the last year I have put $5,000 in my audi and plan to keep it for another 80K miles. My mechanic has been great and lesson learned is after the warranty was up I should have found a mechanic.

Handling, comfort, AWD, acceleration, over 20MPG still, bose sound system, and full size spare.

As many have said cup holders, rear seating space, and expense of repairs.

Beware the 2003 Audi A4 4WD
By Lydia Bernstein

2003 Audi A4 Sedan 3.0 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I purchased 2 2003 Audi A4's at the same time. Just as the warranty expired, similar defects appeared in both cars. In just over two years, almost everything has gone wrong with both cars. They are both lemons. The Audi dealership we went to charged me almost $3K for 2 visits in which they couldn't diagnose the problem. The turbo exploded 2 weeks ago in one of them and damaged the engine in the process. Both cars are a money pit, and I am attempted to dump both & absorb the loss. Audi corporate apologized for my frustration & loss & asked if there was anything else they could do today. DON'T BUY THESE CARS!!!!