Used 2003 Audi A4 Consumer Reviews - 393 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Audi A4

View reviews for a specific A4 model:

Another Lemon Review
By red

2003 Audi A4 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo CVT)

This car is a total lemon. Had to replace the motor and turbo (Audi eventually paid for it after a threatened law suit), electrical system, CVT, multiple headlights and break lights while being told this can be due to "normal" wear and tear. Check engine light is now on for the third time (motor is only one year old) and I have spent $1500 thus far and the problem still isn't resolved. They also replaced my front tires twice before they figured out I had unusual wear because of a front end alignment problem.

None

Better craftsmanship and customer would be a good start.

Love my Avant
By parkcityxj

2003 Audi A4 1.8T Avant quattro AWD 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Been an awesome car, bought with 77K on it and now has 113K. Still running strong, I like to wrench on the car as a hobby and have saved lots of money. I've done the timing belt as a precaution. The only repairs I've had to do is disassemble the wiper motor which had frozen, a pain to do. I've also had to fix the rear main coolant flange, a cheap part. I have had a few coil packs go on me and I carry a spare. It's two min fix if one goes. I only use Audi Synthetic Oil and Audi fluids as well. I suggest if you buy an Audi, check out one of many Audi Forums. There are DIY write ups for nearly every repair. Original clutch is still holding strong too.

I love the Avant and 5 speed, a rare combo. Absolutely is amazing in the snow. I live in UT and need good 4wd. By far the best snow vehicle I've ever driven. It's not fast but a great highway cruiser. I plan on a Ko4 Turbo when the stock one goes out. Also endless aftermarket parts too.

The cupholders stink, worst ever in a car. The blind spots are terrible too, need to get wide angle mirrors. Being 6'3" the B pillar is right next to my head, making the blind spot worse. Wouldn't mind a stiffer suspension and a few more hp. But that's easily solved w/ aftermarket products.

Great car, but reliability issues
By Brian

2003 Audi A4 3.0 Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

I bought this car certified used with 43k miles on it. I have driven Lexus, Acura, Infiniti, BMW and Mercedes. In general this is a great and solid feeling car. Outstanding interior which I like even better than the new models. Strong performance (acceleration a little light), and fabulous in the snow. Great car when things are working. Some reliability issues. Car got stuck in tiptronic day 1. Received flats on 3 of 4 pirelli tires that came with. Antenna had to be fixed, wipers got stuck vertical on windshield, had to replace brakes, fix broken wiper fluid tube, and engine steamed up once. I have never felt that the car would stop running on me, but things always need to be fixed.

Interior (wood trim) is outstanding. Great handling, car feels like you are riding between rail tracks. Quattro is unreal in the snow. Fun to drive and comfortable, great mix between the two.

Acceleration is good, but not outstanding. Cup Holders. Stronger reliability. I now always fear that the warning in the dash will come up and warn me of another issue, and hundreds more on repairs. Costly repairs. I would like to hold on to for a while, but can't accept many more issues.

Beware! Buy an Audi at your own risk!
By jtkoomd1

2003 Audi A4 3.0 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

As I drove off the lot, the Xenon headlight leveling sensor warning light went on. I had to leave it overnight the first night I owned it! This was a problem that had to be fixed three times in the first year I owned it. My remote trunk release works only sporadically and I've had to fix it three times so far...this number would be higher if I hadn't given up on fixing this problem. I've had problems with the power window switches, power mirrors, and the memory power seats. At 3 years, the rubberized trim around the cabin began to flake off. Though no major engine disasters (so far), I've had many other problems requiring time in the shop!

Handles well and is relatively fun to drive when it isn't in the shop. But it is still no BMW.

Reliability!! All would be forgiven if I didn't have to drive a loaner/rental all the time.

2003 A4 Quattro 3.0L
By monsterrider

2003 Audi A4 3.0 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I've owned the car since new and now have 125,000 miles on it. Fuel pump was replaced under recall and everything else has been just routine service. No problems whatsoever. Gas mileage averages about 25 - 26 on the highway. Quattro is great in all weather conditions. Comfortable interior, excellent stereo, Xenon headlamps make night driving easy. This has been an excellent car.

Quattro AWD; Fuel economy given its performance capability; Bose stereo; interior fit and finish; handles like a sports car if driven that way, or is a very comfortable sedan to cruise in.

Be aware, like many AWD, tires need to be replaced in fours. One damaged tire can end up costing a lot.