2010 Volkswagen Routan Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Routan model:
Watch the oil level
By fshifteh on 09/22/12 11:46 AM (PDT)

2010 Volkswagen Routan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan w/Rear Seat Ent, Nav (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

This is an update on my previous posts. Recently at 28000 miles I noticed the oil pressure light was flashing in my Routan. After inspecting the dipstick I was surprised to see that the car had very little oil, so I ended up adding 2.5 quarts of 5W-20 oil. I was surprised because I have never missed any of my scheduled maintenance. When I took the car to the dealer they said that they have seen this issue with these vans. And the recommendation was to check the oil level every 3000 miles. They said these vans burn oil in average 1 quart every 3000 miles. For your info, I have changed my engine oil in average every 5500 miles when the light had indicated that it is time to do so.

Great look. Poor workmanship.
By rigosauce on 06/21/12 14:50 PM (PDT)

We liked that the Routon did not have the "typical" look of a minivan and being that my wife and I are relatively young, we thought we could drive it and not hurt our pride. It drives well and is rather comfortable especially if you have small children. the DVD system along with the inputs for my son's xbox were utilized to the max. we became disheartened when the van started to shake while braking. We took it ito the dealer and the front rotors were going out...at 20k miles! they fixed it but, 7k miles later, the shaking began-again.This time its the back rotors. We decided to trade in the van because we did not want to chance any more breakdowns in the future.

By fshifteh on 06/09/12 15:44 PM (PDT)

This is a follow up to my earlier comments about my Routan. I have more than 24000 miles on the car. During the past 20 months, I had to replace my front brakes and rotors twice. The rear rotors have also been turned twice and the rear brakes were replaced as well. Fortunately everything has been under warranty. Even though I could consider buying this car when the lease is up in a year, but my concern is that I have to replace the brakes every year since it won't be covered by any service contract.

One problem after another
By traci0815 on 11/16/11 09:46 AM (PST)

I wish I would have stuck to the Honda Odyssey. My 2010 VW Routon has several nose issues. Every time I step on the gas it starts a squealing noise and as soon as I take my foot off the gas pedal it stops. The right slide door sticks and sounds like it will fall off. There is a knocking noise in the right passenger door. The engine sometimes does not shift smoothly. and of course the dealer has no idea how to fix these problems!!! :(

Awesome Ride
By crimsontidefam on 10/05/11 20:00 PM (PDT)

2010 Volkswagen Routan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan w/Rear Seat Ent (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

Not Sure why some give this "Minivan" a bad reputation. I tested drove all the Minivans out there, and this by far is the best. Town and Country/Dodge might produce this product, but I can ensure you Germans enginnered it. It drives better, looks better, and is night and day compared to the Town and Country/Dodge. You feel as though you are driving a German Automobile. It is Fahrvergn├╝gen.

By fshifteh on 06/18/11 14:00 PM (PDT)

This is a follow up to my earlier post. I have had this car for 9 months now. There has been a few areas that I had issues. First all my brakes had to be replaced at 10k miles due to vibration in steering. The dealer did this under Warranty. Second, I has issues with putting the 2nd row seat back, as it was stuck and could not remove it or put it back, as a result the dealer replaced the seat frame free of charge. The 3rd issue was some creaking noise that would come from driver's door while driving on certain bump which was very irritating and after taking to 2 different dealerships, the second dealer lubricated the driver side door hinges and that took care of the issue.

2010 Routan SE w/RSE and NAVI
By rxjava on 02/24/11 10:52 AM (PST)

After test driving the Toyota, Chrysler, Dodge, Kia and Honda minivans we settled on the Routan. Of the minivans tested the dashboard/instrument panel and gauges of the Routan give the appearance of an upscale car and does not scream minivan. The faux metal strip is convincing and is more refined compared to cheesy faux wood. Seats are comfortable and operation of controls are intuitive. The ride is quiet and taut with good steering input. The 3.8L V-6 is more than adequate around town. We live close to the Sierras and the van performs adequately going up steep grades although the engine will rev at higher RPMs. Shifts to the lower gear are nearly imperceptible

Very Pleased with our SEL Routan
By stjohns on 12/20/10 16:09 PM (PST)

2010 Volkswagen Routan Minivan SEL Premium 4dr Minivan (4.0L 6cyl 6A)

After over a year of trouble free ownership we can recommend the Routan as a high quality family frendly van. Feature and handling have been 1st class. VW carefree service at zero cost is risk free. A lot of after market products can be purchased at great prices thanks to T & C sibling. to high volume siblings at Chysler.

Disapointed
By Uber on 11/18/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2010 Volkswagen Routan Minivan SEL Premium 4dr Minivan (4.0L 6cyl 6A)

Drives and rides well for a minivan. Motor and transmission seem OK. This van has had many recalls and just stopped tonight all the lights / electronics went out and the motor died. We drifted off the road - it restarted. It already rattles / fan belts squeak Drivers side window doesn't work. DVD screens block rear view mirror. Feels cheap. AC really isn't cold for a brand new car. Something is wrong with the tuning the fuel economy is not nearly what it is rated for. VW put lipstick on this pig. Do more research before you buy one.

Overall a good minivan
By Frank on 11/15/10 00:00 AM (PST)

I am a Chrysler employee and I was in the market to lease a Town & Country to replace my existing T&C, but I found that even with employee pricing the Town & Country lease was so expensive in Southern California, so instead I opted for a Routan which is slightly cheaper than the T&C but has a much better lease pricing. The reason is because of its better residual value. Routan has the Chrysler DNA but I personally like it better than the similar T&C. My only issue is the gas mileage which I usually get around 14 in the city and 18 on freeways. One fact that most people don't know is that the 4.0L engine has slightly better gas mileage than the 3.8L, but unfortunately I could find any.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2010 Volkswagen Routan Minivan in VA is:

$95 per month*