2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel Consumer Reviews 7

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
Great Car
By jfc on 05/15/08 12:12 PM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

This is my favorite car out of all the ones I have owned. It has a great mix of performance and economy. Where else can you get a car that handles great, is comfortable, is fun to drive slow or fast, and gets incredible gas mileage? If I take it easy, I easily get 45 mpg on the highway or around 40 mpg mixed driving. If I drive it hard (meaning quick accelerations, lots of speed up and slow downs with gunning it, and 80-90 mph on the highway) I still average in the high 30's. Incredible. I thought about a hybrid, but I'm glad I went this route. The hybrid is not nearly as fun or sporty and does not really get any better gas mileage (specially if you do a log of highway or hard driving).

Great Car
By are on 05/13/08 07:03 AM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

Solid ride. Great handling. Comfortable seats. Huge trunk. Head and shoulders above the 2005 TDI Jetta that I had. TDI rocks with all that low end torque. It drives fantastic quiet and secure (10 airbags). The DSG automatic transmission feels like a CVT, seemless. Drives comparable to a new Mercedes c300 (My father owns one)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta TDI
By Rich on 05/08/08 06:52 AM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

Great car, a lot of fun to drive, great handling, 50+ MPG average, very quiet diesel, good power, good looking. Love It !

TDI is missed
By smithrep on 04/11/08 21:16 PM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I bought the TDI last June after having to stop at the pumps 3 times/week with my Infiniti G35 coupe with my sales career. I was reluctant to get the VW but afterwards I was very, very happy with the MPG's. averaged 36-42 but topped out over 50 mpg on a few occasions. (including the one where I took it to trade it in). I did just trade it in on a FJ Cruiser because I am starting a company where I need more room to haul equipment and also something to pull my boat. While the FJ is averaging around 20 mpg (good for suv), it is no TDI. I definitely already miss my VW but I do not miss having to fill up at the diesel tanks then having to go inside of store to pay for diesel.

Great car after 1 year
By Jeff on 04/09/08 15:07 PM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

No problems to report after 1 year of ownership. Highly recommend this vehicle, particularly if you want to get combination of good fuel economy and performance.

TDI Rocks!!
By DieselRocks on 02/19/08 17:42 PM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

It's all about the fuel economy, 530 miles per tank, need to say more? Handles the Turnpike very well, sways a little with the wind - the best part driving around curves Vroom Vroom Vroom.

Great value
By Larry on 01/30/08 22:16 PM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

Except for the MPG you'd never guess it's a diesel. Has a lot going for it. Ride, dry road handling, seat comfort, fit/finish all great. Good pick-up once turbo is engaged. People have mistaken it for a BMW - good looking car. I have driven trucks for years and got tired of the gas bill. I am really pleased with this terrific car.

Excellent vehicle! Love the car.
By Shel on 01/08/08 09:16 AM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I was leery about the purchase. Never owned a foreign car. I average about 47 mpg on the highway and 41 in the city. I have no complaints about the car. I love it and the fuel mpg!!

Jetta TDI Going strong
By tooled on 12/30/07 20:02 PM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I have driven 37500 miles in 16 months. My problems included a 1 hour dealer visit for speedometer and satellite radio software programming and a 1 day visit to correct an airbag fault. That aside, this vehicle has been perfect mechanically and a blast to drive. Lots of torque, 42+ MPG cruising at 80 MPH and great seats. AC is fantastic in southern heat. Oil changes myself in 30 minutes. Elf Synthetic for $5.25/litre and $12 for an oil filter. Even did my rear brakes in 3 hours. Maintenance is easy, like any other new car. The car has a tight build and excellent quality of fit, finish and materials.

Love this car! Efficient, Fun,Versitile!
By NWS on 12/16/07 08:29 AM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I commute 180 miles, round trip, each day to work and with fuel cost skyrocketing my GMC Yukon was simply costing too much to run. Some of my friends who own VW diesels suggested I take a look at them. Test drive, purchase, happiness! The fuel cost savings pays the car payment and the insurance, very amazing. Have never gotten less than 39 mpg and on several trips have gotten 48 mpg, average is 43 mpg. Local driving and AC use seem to be the things that lower the mileage but only by 2 or 3 mpg. The crash safety ratings were also a major plus. No maintenance issues yet at 35,000 miles.