Used 2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Above Average
By gillam

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

This car seems to have the same issues as other cars. I bought it new with a grand total of three miles on it. 60,000 miles later the airbag light is on and a coolant temperature sensor has failed. Don't know about the airbag light but the temperature sensor is about $20 from NAPA. The fuel economy is excellent, I average 47 mpg to and from work. I use the cruise control as much as possible and that seems to help. I am not a VW guy and to be honest the car is a little feminine for me but I'm long over it. It does use weird oil and oil filters but so far haven't had a problem at Jiffy Lubes across the country. I definatly recommend this car, I think its better then most others

Favorite Features

Lots of little features, and above all else the amazing fuel economy.

Suggested Improvements

Tighter clutch or lower 1st gear.

DONT BUY A VW!
By ihatevws

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I bought a 2006 VW Jetta TDi brand new. I am giving this review now that it has 130,000 miles on it. Here's the scoop. At 85K miles the dual mass fly wheel broke. Cost me $1500 to fix. At 90K miles the A/C compressor went out, cost me $750 to fix. At 110K miles the copressor has gone out again. Guess why? Cause the cooling fans under the hood went out! Guess what else? The relays are built into the fan so you have to buy the entire fan assembly. This car is nothing but junk. It's been a total nighmare and I hope VW goes out of business very soon! Next time I will buy something from Japan!

Favorite Features

It's white.

Best Car I've Ever owned
By starsister

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Am coming up on 5th year of ownership. Bought my TDI brand-new and have 128K miles and still cruising on the original brakes. This is a wonderful car. I keep it serviced every 5000 miles by the dealer. I continously maintain 40-45 mpg. When I think to "hyper-mile" I can get 50 mpg. I highly recommend this car to those who need good mileage. It is very comfortable for long distance driving also. It is a mid-sized luxury car. Very pleased customer!

Favorite Features

great mileage comfort heated seats roomy keyless entry

Suggested Improvements

no suggestions

total lemon
By paul206

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

$8,000. & counting. In the shop as we speak for same problem - replaced cam shaft & lifters twice. Started bellowing black soot & delayed throttle. Had a complete diagnostic before warrenrty expired - "not a problem" until warrenty expired then became downright VERY DANGEROUS. Then after problem was apparantly fixed - cam & lifters = $$$ thousands the turbo would shut off & again VERY DANGEROUS going up inclines on highways. VW (canada's) reply - "NO CAMPAIGN existing" which in VW land means go away - we dont care).

Worst Car we've ever had! Avoid it like the plague
By jettatdigreen

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

We were excited to get a TDI. Diesel engines are supposed to last a long time. We were told by the salesperson "this is a 400,000 mile engine." Maintenance is horrible and costs an arm and a leg. At five years and 83,000 miles the well known cam shaft and lifters failure occurred costing us $4000 to repair. Even though it's a well known problem VW of America said "there are no recalls on it and you're out of warranty." Less than 2000 miles after the they replaced half the engine it died again and they say "oh the turbo is dead" and it has nothing to do with the last repair - that will be $3000. Just to get it working enough to trade it in has cost us 2/3 of what the car is worth.

Favorite Features

None!

Suggested Improvements

Horrible horrible quality record. A total piece of junk. Don't believe the "German quality" line. The cars are made in Mexico and Brazil. We tell everyone we know NEVER EVER buy a VW!