2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
Great mileage and good car
By nimble1_42 on 05/26/09 14:39 PM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I bought this vehicle to lower my fuel cost while driving for my job. I went to Atlanta to purchase because the local dealers wanted to sell above list. In 15 minutes on the Internet I had a better deal, so shop around. The car rides and drives very well. No problems to date. I really enjoy driving it and would highly recommend it to anyone. The only negatives are local dealers service and pricing. You will need to shop around for quality scheduled maintenance which is a big cost compared to other cars. That is my only negative. The car requires special oil and ATF fluid. All the changes have to be done at the dealer. Your local quick oil change will not touch it.

Good but not Great
By Howard on 04/30/09 09:25 AM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I leased this vehicle to take advantage of the mileage in repetitive crosstown commuting. I have not been disappointed in this respect, avg 34mpg. Several areas have been disappointing. The auto transmission mother board quit functioning at about 2000 mi. Took 3 weeks to get one shipped from Germany. The tan leather seat dye rubs off easily. Replaced driver seat 3 times, finally gave up. The AM section of the radio is very weak. Dealer checked and can't find any problems. 50,000 watt stations fade in and out. Access to front seat difficult with driver seat in position to allow my 6' 245 lb body to drive. The center post is too far forward. Visibility poor, large blind spots.

Great car after 2 years
By Jeff on 04/24/09 11:55 AM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

No problems to report after 2 years of ownership. Highly recommend this vehicle, particularly if you want to get combination of good fuel economy and performance.

VW Jetta TDI
By stude on 03/28/09 17:33 PM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Has been a great car. Avg mpg 42+. Very peppy, great driving and riding car. A joy to drive.

A Fun Car to Drive,
By cs on 02/28/09 11:32 AM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Bought my TDI Brand new had to wait almost 4 months to get it. I have a manual transmission and the only problem I have had with the car is the clutch went out at 13,000 miles. Of course this is a wear item that is only covered for 12,000 miles. After doing some research found out that I was not the only one having this issue. Had to argue with the dealership but finally got them to replace it under warranty. Otherwise great car lots of fun to drive. Great MPG (41/49). The only other complaint is the air conditioning could be better. Does not do well unless car is going over 30 mph. I do get a lot of compliments on the car, almost as many as when we're on the harley.

80,000 and going strong
By Tom on 02/20/09 19:36 PM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

We have owned this car for 2 1/2 years. I drive over 2 mountain passes nearly weekly with heavy snow in the winter. The car accelerates well, is great in snow, runs as well with 4 adults as it does with one. I am not sure where others get their numbers for MPG, but I consistently get 40+ at average speeds of 60 MPH with an automatic transmission. The only time it gets less is when the air conditioning is on. Prior to purchasing the VW we owned a Honda Accord which was a great car. One very significant difference between the Honda and the VW is how much more it takes to ding the sides of the VW as compared to the Honda. Without a dozen dings, pride of ownership comes much easier.

Worst Vehicle Owned
By Kelly on 01/30/09 09:43 AM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I drive about 40,000 miles per year, I thought I would get a lot of miles out of the TDI, I currently have 115,000 miles on it and I would never buy another VW Diesel. The maintenance costs are outrageous; timing belt, filters and special oil. I had to replace a head at 103,000 miles, cost $7,000, why, VW could not answer that. I suspect that they used the wrong oil on one of the changes. Make sure you read the maintenance manual about the oil, VW was the only one who serviced my engine, but who is to say they used the correct oil. I'm sure the 2009's are similar. Replaced Belt and routine filters and maintenance @ 80,000 and that cost around $1500.

Could've been great
By Steph on 01/25/09 10:24 AM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Purchased with approx 60 000 km and have since put 20k on the car. It has been in the shop about 9 times. Parts replaced: Turbo (3 separate visits); some clutch parts; throttle body (left me stranded); trunk latch; driver door electronics; coolant warning light issues. The dealership knows me by name. I think I got a lemon ... too bad because I like the car & have purchased a few aftermarket items for it (winter tires, roof rack, tail lights, floor mats worth about $2500). Good thing for warranty because repairs would've cost me a fortune. Will be trading it in for a new TDI soon.

Great Milage
By Chris on 12/05/08 15:29 PM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

This is my 2nd Diesel Jetta. If you are after mileage this is the way to go as long as you can keep up with the service costs. Count on a couple hundred every 5,000 and twice that for the 10,000 mile check-ups. As long as you keep diesel additives in it and use quality diesel there is no concern. Make friends with your service adviser and that car will last for at 200,000 miles not problem. 300,000 is attainable but be much more careful with the service. Once the kids start to get into their teens you do tend to outsize the vehicle. I will probably buy another diesel Jetta next time too.

Best purchase we ever made
By TDotten on 12/02/08 11:27 AM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Our Jetta TDI has been incredibly reliable. The 40 miles to the gallon is reason enough to buy one, I figure we have saved roughly $1,500-$2K in gas in the couple of years we have owned it. In addition to that, we haven't had a single problem with the car and have only had to replace two break pads at 50K miles! The manual transmission also makes it fun to drive, and the TDi has plenty of power. I strongly recommend this car.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.