Used 2005 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

2005 Volkswagen Jetta

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Best New Car Ever!
By Dan

2005 Volkswagen Jetta New 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

The price of gas drvoe me to trade in my 2003 4WD Toyota Tundra, which I really liked, on the new Jetta. After a lot of research, I decided that the Jetta was clearly the best value going. There are a few other cars out there with the new Jetta's features, but they cost thousands more. But the real proof came with the buying and the driving. I have never been happier with any car than this one. Superb in every respect, inside and out. If it weren't for the VW symbol on the steering wheel, you would think you were driving a car that you could never afford. Forget the high-priced alternatives like BMW or SAAB...there's no comparison. Now I look for reasons to have to drive somewhere!

Favorite Features

Superior quality of the cabin materials. Great handling and pickup. Tiptronic transmission. Excellent 10- speaker stereo with XM radio and 6-CD changer. Styling and lines. Rain sensor wipers. Six-way power front seats (both sides). Multi-function Display. Interior lighting. Everything!

Suggested Improvements

Door sill guards should come standard, installed. Need a side molding along the doors to keep dents away. Just a bit more tint on the windows. Minor things at most and certainly no reasons to not buy this car! Way to go VW!

NEW 05 TDI experience
By greggor63

2005 Volkswagen Jetta New TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

After owning a 2000 Beetle GLX turbo for 5 years with gas prices rising I decided to make a switch. Deciding on the 2005.5 New Jetta TDI with package #2 all the options. I have really enjoyed the overall performance and not to mention the mileage. I get 38 in the city and 48 on the highway. Amazing what diesel technology can do. I would definately tell anyone interested to go diesel. Anyone who wants to can relpy with their VW experiences.

Favorite Features

Rain sensing wipers, automatic headlights and remote opening trunk lid. XM satellite radio what a joy. Nice features.

Suggested Improvements

Keep the package #2 option levels. Heard the 2006 model will be shorting its customers some of the bells and whistles?

Ecstatic
By Gary

2005 Volkswagen Jetta New TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

Been looking for a non-hybrid fuel efficient car to replace my truck from everyday driving. Looked on line and found that the VW diesels were the most fuel efficient. I test drove a 2005 Jetta and liked it. I couldn't find a great deal in May before the new body styoe came out, so I waited. I lucked into a 2005.5 loaded automatic TDI and bought at dealer invoice. I drive about 4,200 miles each month, 90% hwy, & will save 150 gallons a month at 42 mpg. In only 2 days, I have been averaging better fuel economy every time I get in the car. Yesterday it was 48+ mpg and todfay it was 51+ mpg. I look forward to averaging between 50 & 60 mpg & have the fuel savings pay for the car!

Favorite Features

The diesel engine, the 6-speed auto transmission, the leather interior, and all the bells and whistles I wouldn't have thought of.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the glare from the center brake light on the rear windshield while driving at night. The electric seat control for the pre selected drivers - when you turn the car off the seat slides back to allow more room for entering and exiting the vehicle.

I Love My Jetta
By Michael

2005 Volkswagen Jetta New 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I love my Jetta. Is my second Jetta, I have a 2005 GLI for my boyfriend to drive. I fell in love with the Jetta. The had to have one myself. I love the new style and feel of the interior. I have found myself finding excuses to get in the car and and drive to be driving it.

Favorite Features

Comfort, and stereo system. I am a big fan of XM satellite radio and love that included feature.

Suggested Improvements

A little more support in armrest area and a navigation system would be nice. Adjust the glich in the XM stereo that keeps reseting itself back to the preview channel on regular basis. In spite of these few things would recommend to all my friends.

New Jetta: More Than My Money's Worth
By J D

2005 Volkswagen Jetta New 2.5 PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I was pleasantly surprised by the New Jetta. Bought the 2.5 without premium package (but not Value Package.) With incentives the price was $20,264. Surprisingly, all the goodies from my A4 3.0 are there, plus more, like rain-sensing wipers and auto headlights. Handling is way crisper than Edmunds' review would have you believe, and power is quite adequate if not barnburning. Six speed Tiptronic transmission is the only auto tranny in this price range with more than four gears - - makes all the difference. Seats are really comfortable (very firm as is typical of Germans.) Although assembled in Puebla Mexico the workmanship (so far) is absolutely first rate. No complaints whatever. Great value!

Favorite Features

Super clean controls and gauges. Rain sensing wipers and auto headlights. Electromechanical steering (not hydraulic) works great, very responsive. Loads of room in trunk, in back seat. Rear air cond vents are fantastic. Seat heaters for both back and buns. Steering wheel tilts and telescopes!

Suggested Improvements

No suggestions. Very nicely made and thought out vehicle at a great price.