2005 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
Favorite Diesel
By Diesel Power on 12/03/04 21:48 PM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I chose the diesel option for it super mileage and I am not disappointed. My commute is 30 miles each way, 90% highway speeds and I average 48 mpg! On a trip to Florida I got in the low 50's driving 70 miles per hour. Front seat are comfortable but back seats are too small for large adults. The heat and cooling controls are too low and you have to take your eyes off the road to adjust them.

big man
By j million on 11/25/04 12:01 PM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta GLI 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

front seat are not made for people over 6'02" i am bigger and just fit

Very nice job!
By pfja0101 on 11/16/04 16:04 PM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta GLI 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Completely happy with this car. Performance is top notch. Finding features every week that I didn't know I had. Styling is one of the best I have seen from VW in a while. The 18" BBS rims and Audi TT brake kit painted red is incredible for the view. The body kit is also wicked. And those seats...WOW! The car loves and hugs you as much as you love it!

Fun to drive, and Low cost to operate
By mbielick on 11/15/04 10:52 AM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I was looking for a low cost to operate vehicle, and I was not impressed with the hybrids. I bought this car, and was amazed by the 'fun-to-drive' aspect of it. The huge amount of torque available from the engine gives you a lot more 'zip' than you would expect from a diesel. Highway cruising is great, with barely 2,400 RPM turning at 70 MPH. Although I have only driven the car 5,000 miles to date, there has been nothing wrong with the car, and I'm getting over 47 MPG each time I fill.

Fun to drive
By Sawdust on 11/13/04 18:00 PM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

This car is fun to drive. Responsive steering and handles well. Our car has 8 airbags and feels very safe. You feel like you are riding in a very expensive car. Pick up is slower than my other gas powered 6 cylinder car but not bad. You do not notice you are driving fast at highway speeds. The diesel engine is quiet. Only wish the car was a bit larger with a little more cargo space. average 40 mpg!

My VW
By larryvii on 11/13/04 11:15 AM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Love to drive it and great gas mileage.

Reminds me of my old GTI
By JDK Ents on 11/04/04 23:12 PM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

What a joy! After years of driving Taurus's (including a SHO), a Maxima, and an Altima, I'd forgotten about driving fun. I had a first year GTI (1983) which I loved - it was quick, a good highway cruiser, but not too reliable. After that I moved into a series of borrriiiing cars and forgot about fun. That has changed! I have about 4k miles on a brand spankin new 2005 Jetta GLS TDI. This beast is amazingly quick. The engine with the 5 speed manual is exceptionally well matched to the size of the car. It is perfect for the cut and thrust type driving required for stop and go traffic. The low end torque is great and is available RIGHT NOW when you stomp on the gas (diesel?) pedal.

wagon kicks a__!
By Paul MacIntosh on 11/02/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta GL TDI 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Great mileage and performance. I was suprized with the first test drive! It really has some kick. I would recomend the Leather Package...that I did not get!

Jetta 1.9 diesel still Rocks!
By ManateJim on 10/24/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Jetta sedan and wagon versions with 1.9 diesel Turbo-Direct-Injection, yield 42 mpg in town with smooth 5 overdrive manual shift. Leather package, definate plus.

VW Jetta Wagon TDI, great car
By BrendaJGP on 10/23/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDI 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

My Jetta is a great car to drive and I think it is a very safe car. On the Jetta I was able to get a sun roof and side air curtains, some other cars either did not have the air curtains available or not avail with a sun roof. I have side airbags as well. The milage is great and the ride is peppy when I need it. The heated seats get a lot warmer and warm up faster than my husbands S-10 quad cab.the front seats have good leg room, the back seats are OK, a little more leg room would be nice, but I test drove worse. I like the fact that I have 3 head rests in the back seat and that all the head rests are in a good position for safety.