2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
Buying This Car is a Bad Move
By jason schelert on 10/04/06 18:48 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I have literally brought this car into the dealership eighteen times. Yes, EIGHTEEN Times. Every time I have had the vehicle in something else has gone wrong. The fan stopped working, the power windows wouldn't function, now the tranmission is failing and only at 34,000 miles.

Don't buy a Jetta!
By lrm80 on 09/15/06 23:27 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This was the first "new" car that I ever purchased and I thought I was buying something reliable! Instead I spend most of my time at the service department. I've had a laundry list of problems including needing all four coil packs replaced, a new transmission at only 30,000 miles, the driver's side window falling into door three times, both coolant fans needed replacing, the seat heaters short circuited and I still have trouble with the Tiptronic gear shifter! I would never buy another VW again, it has been nothing but a waste of money and when you buy a new car you expect reliability!

Problems After Warranty Expired!
By JaimeJ on 09/10/06 13:19 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The first four years that I owned my 2002 VW Jetta I didn't have any major mechanical problems. I haven't been super happy with the car in general. I drive a lot for work, and it's annoying that the car is loud on the highway. The main issue is that my warranty JUST ran out about two weeks ago and all of a sudden the driver seat adjustments stopped working and my power steering went out last night. I was driving downtown San Francisco and I heard "pop" and then all of a sudden it was like I was driving a dumptruck. I am sure that VW is going to kill me with the charges for this repair. I had planned on keeping this car until it stopped working, but now I may buy something else and never return to VW.

VW Cannot Fix My Jetta After Ten Attempts
By maxwellTN on 09/01/06 20:47 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

My Jetta has had problems since it hit 15,000 miles, when it needed a new transmission. The issue was not solved by this repair and has continued even after 10 attempts to fix it by the local dealer. The car skirts erradically / hard in all gears, it stalls from park to reverse after sitting overnight, it does not downshift properly (or at all) when going up hills, and is unreliable in when and how it will shift. The dealer tried to fix it, but the issues came back. I have been told that this is common in 2002-2004 Jettas - and was told this by the dealer and the service manager. VW customer care has also offered no recourse - I am stuck with a car that is now out of warranty and has yet to be fixed by the dealer.

Amaaazing Car
By VWNut02 on 08/15/06 12:11 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought this car after a serious accident in my turbo Subaru. I love the design, safety features, style and performance. Its got the upgrade factory 17 inch alloys and spoiler. This car looks tough. I bought it with 52,000 miles on it in 11/05 and have already put 16,000 miles on it. This car is hands down one of the best I've owned. I have had no major service issues to date. I'm a satisfied customer. VW: Drivers Wanted!

I Thought It Was Only My Luck
By BostonNancy on 07/24/06 02:02 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I thought it was only my luck when my Jetta broke down within the first few months I purchased it. After all, I did buy it on September 11, 2001. After countless visits to the dealership (for non-routine services), years of frustration and headaches, a few near-death experiences, and tens of thousands in cash, I will finally pay off my Jetta this September. But what's the point now? I've put so much money and energy into a car that is barely drivable. This is my first and last VW ever! I am just so damn tired having to deal with all the crap this car brings.

Oil, Oil, Oil...
By Julie on 06/03/06 21:13 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This was the first NEW car I have bought. At my first manufacturer suggested oil change, I was surprised to be a quart and a half low. I fought with the dealership for 8,000 miles about the oil consumption on this car - which they claimed was normal for a VW because "the engine runs hot". At 13,000 miles, they finally gave in and rehoned the cylinders and replaced the pistons. But that still did not solve the problem. I've just about given up my fight since the car has now been out of waranty for 30,000 miles. I have to replace a quart every 1,000 miles now, and my current mechanic says soon it will be a quart every 300-400 miles. It's so unfortunate because I like the car otherwise. Don't bother with VW.

This car is amazing
By joshall on 05/23/06 18:42 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLI VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 6M)

I've had this car for almost two years now and still walk outside and smile. I will have put almost 70,000 miles on it when I get to two years (I drive from site to site for work) and have had no issues I couldn't handle myself. While parts are expensive for the car, it is amazingly reliable. It may cost $60 to change the oil or $50 if you do it yourself, but you only have to change it every 8,000 - 10,000 miles because it uses fully synthetic oil. I haven't sensed any power loss after all this time and hope to keep this car FOREVER.

Will not own VW again
By KdnyNurse on 03/22/06 15:05 PM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I brought a VW at the advice of a friend. After owning Hondas since I was able to buy my own cars. Since I have owned this car it has been in the shop more times than the previous four Honda's I have owned all put together. The skid plate was "fixed" four times. The Monsoon audio system had to be replaced. The fabric is worn. The black covering on the door handles is peeling off. The trunk does not close and latch anymore, etc. I now have an infant and it's time to get a bigger car. I am going back to Honda and won't drive anything else again. Maybe I just got a bad Jetta but I don't want to take the risk and try again. No VW's are recommended by Consumer Reports. I wonder why.

Traded in....what a relief!
By Chelle on 03/12/06 10:11 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLI VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 6M)

I loved my Jetta VR6. When purchased I made sure it had all the bells and whistles...I was in love. It didn't take long for it to start letting me down.. AC went out- Heated seats went out- water pump went out- windows rattled until a piece finally broke. Last week I was told the transmission was leaking which was the culprit of the engine light coming on over and over. In a nutshell I loved this car. It was so much fun to drive and design was great... I was forced in to parting with it because mechanically it began giving way far too early. I had regular maintenance and it didn't help prevent problems. I would never buy another Jetta or any VW for that matter. Gone back to Honda, like home!