2002 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
Great TDI Economy Car
By Mroto on 06/21/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

We get 47 avg. MPG in combined city/highway driving and 52-53MPG at steady freeway driving speeds. The engine is the best part of the car! Not a slow car by far and comfortable ride for a small car. Only knock is the fit and finish quality of some of the parts. The paint on the interior door handles flaked off for instance and VW does not stand behind this kind of problem, rear seat split on seam and VW also almost balked on this! Outside paint clear coat is peeling in a couple spots. Car itself is solid however so I feel these issues are comparitively minor.

Overall Happy
By Auburn Gal on 06/17/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I was an SUV, Truck person for a long time, but I purchased my Diesel Jetta last November used and I love it. I am in sales, and it gets great mileage. I would definetly suggest anyone looking for a sleek, fun, and sporty car, look into this one.

Sad I sold, buying a new one
By golfer18 on 05/20/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I have owned 2 jetta tdis, a 98 and 02. this review is for 02, beautiful car, cool look, exc gas mileage at 53mpg at best, tank range i maxed at 765 then i got nervous and filled up. Loved both cars, but dumped the 02 due to some aesthetic quality issues. I had a door/window rattle that had me take it back to dealer 6 times in a year. Despite ripping car apart, removing seats, etc, damaging the vehicle during repair etc, it was never fixed to satisfaction. I pursued lemon law, but found a buyer in the meantime and sold the car. I miss it though and will likely buy a new jetta 04 or passat 04 turbodiesel only. .

Awesome!!
By CRYER15 on 04/21/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Incredible Car!! I am getting 50 mpg average and I think sometimes better on the highway! I have had it almost two full years with 40k + and have not had even a blip...with the exception of a replaced radio (no big deal) under warranty. Anyone looking for a reliable, fuel efficient, and reasonably priced car should get one.

power on mountains
By Donald Dauenheimer on 04/10/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I live Denver Colorado and I still like drive mountain roads that turbodiesal with automatic transmission that A/T have not change shift when steep hills and still lot enough power, it is lot help by turbodiesal, In past I was thought lack of power by show static number of power on paper before to buy car, VW dealer laugh me and give me key to drive test, love it to bought it.

2002 Jetta gls tdi
By cms on 04/01/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I love this car, but have been a diesel car owner since 1980; mileage is incredible; good comfort; roomy trunk; a couple of non essential electrical glitches have had to be repaired; have 100,000 mile 10 year warranty.

A car fun to drive and built to last
By Panzer Boxb on 03/15/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

This car was purchased to handle the daily commute of 30 miles (each way) and has done so superbly for almost two years now. The diesel engine performs superbly and gets better mileage than almost any other car. The interior is well laid out and all the controls are easy to find and use. The build quality is solid and I have had no mechanical or cosmetic problems with the car so far. I fully intend to have this car for years to come.

Get There Cheap and Quickly
By golfgunny on 03/07/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I love this gas sipper. I was able to drive from Easter North Carolina to Eastern Texas on less than 2 tanks of fuel with at total cost of 40.00. I averaged just over 50 mpg at 78 mph. The ride was so comfortable that I had to set the timer on my watch to remind me to stop and stretch. It was a rather enjoyable experience. I have had no mechanical problems what so ever.......I love my Jetta. It is much quicker, faster and much more comfortable than I could have ever imagined.

How can you not love it?
By StfRon on 02/25/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Do your self a favor- drive a Jetta TDI.

every day I say "god, I love this car!"
By jetta lover on 02/01/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

got this car when my dreadful Neon died after only 60000 miles. This has been a TREMENDOUS improvement; I'm fairly certain that from now on all of my future cars will be VWs. Mileage is EXCELLENT! I'm amazed my husband and I didn't get any tickets when we first started driving this car since the drive is so smooth... it's VERY easy to drive 10-15 mph over the speed limit, and still have it feel like you're doing maybe 5 over. Performance is great; overall quality of vehicle is great. This was one of the best decisions we ever made!