Used 2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

not too shabby
By jetta02

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Very stylish and fun to ride. I recently had problems with the transmission though and that's why i had to take points off for reliability.

GLI is the way to go!
By h0mersimps0n

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLI VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 6M)

just think of every aspect of a car and add excellent as an adjective and you are describing a VW GLI JETTA

Favorite Features

Interior, RIMS!!!, 6-speeds, tires, engine, it never ends, trust me

Suggested Improvements

redesign suspension, it's good but could be better

If you like Lemmons
By RD99SS

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Fun car to drive when it runs, went through 4 coils, then they replaced all of the coils, car would sometimes not start, reflashed the computer, battery light would come on occasion. The kicker is I closed the door one day and the drivers side window fell out...I had to laugh at that one, the dealer replaced it and they said to me "Oh that happens all the time" GREAT, after that I went and bought a Honda.

Favorite Features

Spirited engine when it ran

Suggested Improvements

VW customer care, build a quality car, I think my car was built during Octoberfest

DON'T BUY A VW!!!!
By Jen_Jen322

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My exprience??? Where do I start? Transmission slips, goo coming from doors, windows fall into door, broken armrest, consumes a lot of oil, electrical problems, gas guzler. Other than that is has been fine!! Enough said?

Favorite Features

Cool radio and surround sound.

Suggested Improvements

Bigger back seat and more power.

Not Worth the Premium $$$
By luvmytsx

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought the 1.8T 5M sedan after reading extensively about the quality of the vehicle's build, and its performance and features. I was unilaterally dissatisfied with the quality of this vehicle and it is not worth the "premium" price compared to other compacts. The 2 front doors rattled excessively, the rear right passenger door also rattled and the rear of the car creaked around tight turns. The dealer couldn't fix the problems and referred me to the manufacturer. The manufacturer rep. was unfriendly at best and declared that the car was within specifications although he did not disclose what they were. A letter to VWs president yielded no result.

Favorite Features

turbo, dial for moonroof, lit buttons, sport suspension, great wheel design. I suggest you look at the Civic instead. My friend has had 3 consecutive Civics and none ever had the problems I encountered.

Suggested Improvements

this car was equivalent to a late 70s car in terms of build quality. extensive improvements in build quality and quality control need to be developed and implemented. The manufacturer needs to stand behind its products, and it did not do so in my experience.