2008 Toyota Yaris Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Yaris model:
2008 Yaris hatchback review
By spanyerd on 05/10/08 02:30 AM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Yaris Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Great car for the $$. Tons of great features with Toyota's rep for quality. Xlnt int and ext styling. Gets good mpg, but less than expected @ 35 avg (likely due to 75mph hwy speed- my fault, I know). But it's "pep" means mpg are wasted with high rpm. A better 5th or added 6th gear would increase the mpg without killing the power. Lack of cruise control option stinks. I commute 150 miles/day @ 90% hwy. No CC means focus is on speedo not the road. Also drops mpg. Auto daytime dash & headlights without auto daytime tailights is dumb & dangerous. As day turns to night while driving, you have to "remember" to turn on the (tail)lights. Almost rear-ended. Also pulled over by CHP.

I love this car
By Geoff on 05/09/08 18:16 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Yaris Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

I love this car. People in my area of New Jersey look at me weird because of the SUVs they drive. Give it a couple years and these cars will be hard to come by. I love the performance of the car, but what I really LOVE is the gas mileage. 117 miles and the bar finally went down once from full. It is very comfortable and fun to drive. It is also great for our environment. Ultra low emissions. I have nothing bad to say about this vehicle. Do yourself a favor and buy one now. You will smile at the gas pump.

Great, love it
By jim on 05/09/08 04:39 AM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Yaris Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

I just bought my Yaris 2dr to avoid the high gas prices and am thrilled to date. I have put 800 miles on the vehicle so far and have averaged 35+ mpg in mixed driving (25% city/75% hwy). I am 6'4", 280 and have more than enough room, actually pretty comfortable for a car in this class. As a matter of fact it is really roomy in front as a friend (my size) and I commuted around the DC area running errands and found it surpisingly comfortable for two guys our size. The Yaris does exactly what I asked of it, great mpg, more than adequate comfort; throw in snappy performance and easy driving and I am thrilled.

More money left for beer and pizza!
By The_Dude on 04/22/08 14:32 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Yaris Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

I recently replaced my 05 Saturn Vue with this car. I just like the idea of being able to travel more than 300+ mi. in 11 gallons of gas as opposed to +/- 300 mi. in 16 gallons of gas in my Vue. That is 5 gallons less and 100 more miles. My last fillup, I got 38 mi to a gallon. You can't beat that for a reliable, inexpensive non hybrid fuel efficient car. It drives pretty decent, acceleration from 0-60 is sub par (under 10 sec) but I bought it for it's fuel efficiency in mind. Since I installed an SGII, I am more conscious about how I drive and how much fuel I use. It can be fun to drive with the manual but the automatic is not bad once you got it going.

Harmonizing
By Ron Bunn on 04/21/08 09:14 AM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Yaris Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

My idea of a good vehicle is one you can harmonize with. The Yaris does a pretty good job of that for me providing close to ideal basic transportation. Gets you there fast and does it comfortably at a respectable fuel consumption rate. My biggest disappointment has been no place to hang a couple of clean shirts and pair of slacks. A fairly easy problem to fix but a real annoyance the dealership should have made sure was looked after. Seat belts work better than most cars but you need to make sure they are in place before you begin moving. I've had mine for 6 months and have 23,000 kilometers on it. Nothing has broken and no rattles.

Love my new Yaris!!
By harlanddjogger on 04/21/08 07:18 AM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Yaris Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I love this little car. There is more interior space than what it first appears. I had three adult passengers in it last week and all were amazed at the comfort and room. Also the gas mileage is phenomenal! I am getting between 39 and 40 miles per gallon, mixed driving - highway and city. I have no complaints thus far. I've had my Yaris for a month now. It replaced my Saturn Vue V-6 AWD which only got 18 miles per gallon. I am saving a ton of money on gas.

Finally, a car you can love
By Joanne on 04/17/08 11:09 AM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Yaris Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I've had it a week and I like it more every day. Fantastic for anyone who has to commute, great on gas, comfortable, and cute, cute cute. A joy to drive, handles well, and has everything I need. No money wasted on un-needed stuff, just good basic value. I plan to stick with this one.

Great little car
By ucmoyaris on 04/14/08 04:00 AM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Yaris Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I am going to write this for what it is, one of the least expensive cars on the market. I am really impressed for the price. With the first fill up, got 42 mpg. A/C, AM-FM stereo/CD with MP3 plug in. ABS, 15" wheels, drives nice, plenty of power to weight. I bought a car that is much quieter then my Ranger XLT, gets better mpg then my RAV4 and is fun to drive. Unlike those who want all kinds of standard features, I am happy that they aren't loaded as I had a lot more choice in the price. I understand that I didn't buy a Lexus, I bought an economy car and am very happy with it. I look forward to years of Yaris miles.

Interior Not So Great
By MoJuice on 04/13/08 05:50 AM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Yaris Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

Well, had to dump the 97 Mountaineer that was getting about 12-16 mpg. I drive about 60 miles a day with the wife driving an additional 44 miles (thats 104 a day). Figured we would keep the Lesabre for the family car and this cute little button for driving to work. Not a lot of horse power and wife says its kinda scary next to semi on overpasses, but overall it serves its purpose with a big ole smile.

Yaree or DottaBug
By robinjane on 04/09/08 16:48 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Yaris Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

I really love my Yaris. I had to replace 97 Chavlier and went looking for a truck and bought a 2 door, (3 if you count the hatch), small car. I like the way you can get into the car without feeling you about to sit in a well. I'm only 5 even and that was one selling point is that I could get in and out without fighting gravity. The dealer thought I was crazy when I said that the Yaris had a small "growl" like a Mustang I test droved. I didn't realize till two days later that I had it in Drive 3. Duh.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2008 Toyota Yaris Hatchback in NJ is:

$210 per month*