Used 2008 Toyota Yaris Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Toyota Yaris Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Yaris model:

small car, but so roomy inside.
By i like driving now

2008 Toyota Yaris Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

I just got my Yaris and I couldn't be happier! My explorer was only 2 years old, but the gas prices were killing me and it was just too big. I enjoy driving now. I never have any backseat passengers anyway, so i put the backseats down and it's like a mini-suv. I even fit a desk and chair back there. I love all the cubby and stash places. I don't like things loose in my car. The doors are big it's alot easier to get in and out than I thought it would be. Didn't realize it tells you what gear you are in on the computer screen. Mom drove it in 3rd. Now we got it figured out. It has a great turn radius so 3 point turns are a cinchOutside. They put a lot of thought into this little car!

All the gloveboxes and cubbies. The design is so cute, very euro. Easy and fun to drive. I like the speedometer placement I think it is stupid to have to look through a steering wheel. Great gas mileage. Auxiliary input. Black interior, black seats with blue polka dots! No beige please!

I'd like to see more options. Leather would be nice. Another ac input I only found one. Heated seats. I think a center console would be really be awesome.

WOW!
By Bill3865

2008 Toyota Yaris Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I read dozens of reviews on this site before I bought my very own Yaris just 6 hours ago! What an awesome little car! I'm 6' 2" and 262 pounds and this car has plenty of room for me. The A/C will freeze you to death, the fuel efficient engine has more than enough zip to make driving fun again. It looks great, drives great, handles great, and I love it. Mine has factory cruise control, so it is available for the hatchback. I love this car :)

Storage compartments, sporty handling, good visibility, and everything else! Super car!

Make center armrest standard

Decent enough car, really slow.
By Alex

2008 Toyota Yaris Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

This was my commuter that I bought a few months ago. On the good side I average about 34 MPG with around 70/30 city/highway. Another plus is the design, cute and well made. Unfortunately, the car has quite a few downs... such as the acceleration. It truly feels economy car like. If you really want any type of hustle from this car, you need to darn near floor it. It is also not that great to drive. The small thin wheels and comfort tuned cheap suspension don't make for very exciting backroads adventures. It is decently comfortable for front passengers and has a reasonable amount of space in back. But that driving position is just weird. Bottom line, it makes a good commuter/city car thats it.

MPG, passenger comfort, cute exterior, aux jack, nice interior storage

Acceleration, tiny trunk, bad to drive, 5'2" type driving position

YAR FOR KAR!!!!
By Karla

2008 Toyota Yaris Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

I am so happy with this car!!! There are tons of compartments for storage, and 5 cupholders! There is no front seat console unfortunately, but I found a website where I can get an aftermarket one that will fit my little car. I got the hatchback SPORT edition, and although that wasn't what I initially set out for, I'm so glad I got it! It's so fun, and people are always smiling at it and saying things like "sweet"! The hatchback is great for a single person like me, or just a couple, but if you have kids, the hatchback really isn't as practical as the sedan would be. This car has a lot of pick-up and power, it can climb steep hills with the best of them, especially with that 3rd gear.

It's so spacious inside, the passing 3rd gear is awesome and fun and easy to use, and it really gives the car extra power when you need to pass. MPG! I love the extra glove boxes on the drivers and passengers side of the dash board. It's a breeze to park and get out of tight spaces too.

A center console with storage and a fold out cupholder that could easily replace the existing cupholder between the 2 front seats. At least offer Cruise control in this car! A choice of interiors would also be nice, tan is a nicer option than black for hot locations.

Fun little car
By Buddy

2008 Toyota Yaris Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

I traded in my Ford Excursion for this little car. After driving a monster SUV, I find this car to be nimble and quick. It's the only cheap car that a 6'2" man can slip in and out of easily. It's noisy on the freeway but handles well enough that I don't feel I'm in a death trap. I drive on Houston's busy interstate system, even in the rain and my lil' Yaris holds its own which really surprised me! I miss my monster SUV, but hey, get over it! I'm averaging 41 mpg which is almost 4 times better than my Excursion with it guzzling V10 engine. I've gotten lots of compliments and questions from strangers. This car will pay for itself in gas alone. I don't like the "cute car" comments though.

Comfortable for a cheap car and GREAT gas mpg. Interior is "different" with speedometer in the center but I like the extra glove box behind the steering wheel. It helps make my economy car seem a little different than the rest of the cars in its class.

My hatchback has a funny feeling automatic transmission when I'm on the interstate. It slows down pretty fast if I let off the gas petal at 65 mph. The gas and brake petals are too close for a man with a size 14 shoe. These are small complaints given the money I will save in the long run. I love it!