Used 2008 Toyota Yaris Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Toyota Yaris Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Yaris model:

A Great Commuter
By Mike

2008 Toyota Yaris Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

I've had my 08 Yaris hatchback for two weeks now, and I am loving it. Mine came with 17" mags and wider tires, so my mileage is a little lower; but I did get 35 MPG out of my last tank with mostly highway driving. The car drives nice and is fun, but certain things should come standard and not options, such as power windows and locks. Plus, the numerous gloveboxes should have lights and locks. Otherwise, it is a great commuter car and even with the auto transmission, it has pep! The AC saps some of that as well as gas; but with such a small engine (1.5L) it is to be expected. Filling the tank for $20 is really nice!

Multiple gloveboxes, MP3 jack

Split-folding rear seat on all models

Great little runabout
By sig

2008 Toyota Yaris Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car as a second car for around town driving. I love the looks, inside and out. What surprised me was how well it drives and handles. (My other car is a 2008 BMW 335 coupe). It is fun to drive and the gas mileage - regular gas - is phenomenal, up to 42.8 mpg. What made me buy this particular model are the looks and the price. Another factor is the build quality. This car was built in Japan, and no shortcuts were taken in material and paint. A super little car!

Looks, ride comfort, quality, price and above all gas mileage!

This car is perfect for todays condition. More inside room than I expected.

Great Commuter Car
By Wes

2008 Toyota Yaris Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

I moved to San Diego in April from Connecticut. Left my 2000 V6 F150 pickup to my son and picked up my Yaris the day I arrived in California. Ever since then I enjoy driving it. I am 6'2" and about 250# but fit in this vehicle just fine with plenty of head and legroom. I've tested the gas millage and on average city/hwy combined with some AC use it does between 35 and 37 mpg. It provides a comfortable ride, relatively quite interior and smooth going over bumps. 1,500 cc motor is just perfect size for this vehicle. European version is 1,300. The weak spots is lack of power to accelerate on the spot (AT, manual must be better), weak AC, and small trunk area. Amazingly roomy for a small car.

Gas mileage, ride comfort (short distance), quality workmanship, tight turning radius.

Rear seat access on driver side, better console design, perhaps turbo or supercharger version to give it more pep to accelerate, stronger AC.

Yay
By plmille2

2008 Toyota Yaris Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought the Yaris to replace my 1999 Honda Civic and I can honestly say I could not be happier. The gas mileage is slightly better, but the overall comfort is amazing. The first day I drove it to work everyone commented on how small it was, then wanted to buy one for themselves when they sat in it. It is SO roomy inside, more roomy than my Civic, and drives very smooth. The body seems solid on the interstate and it hugs the roadway. I was surprised to find how high it sits. There have been many times when I am sitting at a red light and a crossover or SUV pulls up next to me and I am eye level with the driver, and I'm only 5'4". It makes me feel much safer.

Body style, perfect size for student and passenger, design, ride quality, height.

The plastic interior does seem to scuff easily, but it is wiped away very simply with some armor-all or a wet wipe. The back windshield (I think) rattles when I go certain speeds, but it may just be my storage container in the trunk.

I love my Yaris
By Peggy

2008 Toyota Yaris Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

I did research before getting this car. Got it yesterday and love it, love it, love it. It is like driving a sports car. I had a lot of errands to run and the gas gauge barely moved. It is zippy, picks up speed on the highway nicely. It is great fun!

Handling, gas mileage, appearance.

don't know of any yet