Used 2008 Toyota Yaris Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Toyota Yaris - Consumer Reviews

2008 Toyota Yaris Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Yaris model:

Most Helpful|
Why are all the web/print media wrong
By Duncan

2008 Toyota Yaris Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I got my Yaris at the end of March 2008 and have calculated mileage on every tank of gas and the MPG on every tank has been between 35 and 40 MPG. I have never gotten below 35, and I don't use the most fuel efficient driving techniques. Why has every media review, including Edmunds.com stated that the fuel economy on this car is 31-32. This is a great car. You cannot find a better car, with better gas mileage at a better price. That's it.

Favorite Features

MPG, MP3 player, loads of storage (3 glove boxes)

Suggested Improvements

none

Fantastic Car!
By YarisLover

2008 Toyota Yaris Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

I don't have anything new to add to all the positive reviews. I like just about everything in the car. Sound system with proper settings pumps out great sound. Raised seating. Soft but solid steering. Smooth ride. Raised seating . Great visibility.

Favorite Features

Just about everything. Especially styling. You could see Honda Fit copied this style in 2008

Suggested Improvements

Would like steering to be more responsive in sharp turns. But again it never slipped once. I cant ask for both. Smooth steering for city driving. And tight steering for sharp turns at high speed. I understand that, its not too bad in sharp turns.

It's good enough so far
By Duder

2008 Toyota Yaris Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought the little hatch back because I needed it's versatility and high fuel economy. The seat isn't exactly comfortable but supports my back better than the competition. I like it's French Styling with it's typical center mounted speedometer. All the storage bins are great and so is the extensible sun visor. The optional arm rest is well positioned for me and I like that the center console doesn't rob knee room. The thing that irritates me the most are all the rattles and vibrations that come and go. The good side of this annoyance is that it keeps me just irritated enough on long trips to keep me wide awake. In this respect the rattles add to the safety of the car.

Favorite Features

Economy and maneuverability and funny looks.

Suggested Improvements

Placing a digital speedometer display in front of the driver just below the windshield and putting a storage bin where the speedometer currently is. Clean up the front nose a little and add telescopic steering like the ones sold in the UK have.

2008 yaris hatchback is a beast!!!
By logek_aok

2008 Toyota Yaris Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

First off as a guy always driving big cars this was a change...But a good one i drove a toyota avalon but the gas was killing me.So did the research and the Yaris kept coming up.I drove every where in this car from chicago philly new york new jersey south carolina virginia and so on..Never a break down low maintenance just put gas and change oil thats it. Did a couple of up grades weathertech window vents and mats..Go on ebay and get oem parts thats don't come standard like armrest, cargo cover and cargo net..way cheaper than dealer

Favorite Features

mpg and ease to park every where

Suggested Improvements

seats should be more comfortable

The Most Reliable Car Ever
By teamyaris

2008 Toyota Yaris Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

First, a little about myself. I am a 55 year old male who has owned more than a dozen cars in his lifetime, including trucks, SUVs, minivans, and a variety of small cars including Hondas, Toyotas, and Fords, dating back to the 1970s. Without a doubt, this is the most reliable and lowest cost of ownership car I have ever owned. I bought it new for $12,000 and it is now nearing 100K miles. Other than oil changes and topping off the fluids, and changing tires, it is maintenance free. Manual transmission has been fun to drive, easy to keep up with the traffic flow at speeds up to 70 mph. Mileage is 38-42mpg. Who needs a hybrid? Headroom is fine and the hatchback is convenient.

Favorite Features

Reliability and quality of exterior design and 38-42mpg.

Suggested Improvements

Add a driver's side armrest? Other than that, can't think of anything.